Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:31 PM   #1

Default Macro Lens Question

I am considering buying a used Tamron SP 90 macro f 2.8 lens for my Pentax from one of my local photography stores. The owner of the store says the seller wants $300.00 for it. Is this a good lens & what is a good price to pay for it? If I decide I want it I will ask if the seller will lower the price to $250.00 but if not will have to decide if it is worth $300.00. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Janice
jvanwees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:07 PM   #2

It is a 400 dollar lens new. If the lens is in excellent condition the 300 price is a great deal. Good luck with the 250, if he is just looking to unload it fast, it might work.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:42 PM   #3

On the Tamron.ca website it shows it as being $539.00. I live in Canada. So I guess even $300.00 would be a good deal.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4

I recently purchased this lens abut 3 months ago from a fellow Pentaxian on another forum (he picked up the Pentax 100mm macro). It was about a year old and in pristine condition, and I paid $325 and I'm very happy with the lens. Still learning how to actually use it.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:35 PM   #5

I don't know what the going rate is for the lens, but the lens is very good. Some would claim that it is very slightly better than most of the 100mm macro lenses, since I don't have one, I'm not entirely sure I would agree. But assuming the lens is in good condition, you will not be disappointed.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:14 PM   #6

I decided to buy the lens although I think it is the older version 172E & there is now a 272E out. However I got it for $275.00 & to buy it new I would have to pay about double that plus tax. And macro is something that I am just starting out in so would like to try it out a bit to see how I like it etc. before having to spend a great deal of money to do it.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:10 PM   #7

Congratulations on your new macro lens! Have heard a lot of good things about this lens for sharpness and accurate color. Will look forward to seeing some of your photos with it!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote