Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:19 PM   #21

The Sigma 70-200/2.8 has been available in a number of different guises over the years. The current version has a Product Code (the first 3 digits of the part number) of 589 and the one for the Pentax Mount (109, for a complete part number of 589109) is stabilized. (I'm pretty certain this is the one I pointed to at B&H in an earlier post.) and is the one that's better than the unstabilized Tamron. Prior versions have Product Codes of 579, 569, 568, 567, and 566, none of which are stabilized, and only a few of which were available with a Pentax Mount. These versions are all inferior to the unstabilized Tamron.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:29 AM   #22

mine is a 569 (2012 manufacturer date) and Sigma is telling me direct via e-mail there is no 589 for Pentax since the Pentax mount is un-stabilized because the body is stabilized
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
... Sigma is telling me direct via e-mail there is no 589 for Pentax ...
There isn't now, but there used to be. That's why B&H still has some in stock.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:44 AM   #24

I just googled "589109", Sigma's part number for their stabilized 70-200/2.8 for the Pentax Mount, and apparently Adorama and 42nd St. Photo have some in stock too, despite the fact that it's been out of production for some time.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:41 PM   #25

TCav thanks for checking I will be contact the shop I bought it at to see if they can get a 589 version or if I can get full refund and head that way. Also I would never trust 42nd st photo heard too many bad things about them.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:08 PM   #26

While I'm certain that the 589 will be sharper than the 569 you've got now, I don't know if the AF will perform more reliably. Good luck.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:26 PM   #27

Sigma will not directly replace the lens with a new model they suggest I contact the shop to return it and then buy a newer version which they say is not available through them...... The shop claims they can not get the newer version for me So I might be returning it after the ice storm passes and looking for the newer version. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:58 PM   #28

Well this is a shock. I am returning the lens for a full refund for the shop I got it at since they can not get me the lens replacement I want but when I got in contact with bhphotovideo they strongly recommend based on my camera model and issues I was having to go with the Tamron. In fact they told me they have more of the Sigma 70-200 than the Sigma's returned to them for issues. They didn't feel comfortable selling me another Sigma but if I ordered they would send it so milling over what to do now. I then asked the million dollar question does anyof your staff shot Pentax so they culd tell me 100% direct how the lenses compare. No idea but I will find out and get back to you.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:09 PM   #29

Save yourself the trouble. Get the Tamron. It's not bad.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:34 AM   #30

TCav I will get a Tamron ordered on Monday and like they said if it doesn't perform better I can return it.