Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:19 AM   #1

Default 70-200mm Sigma or Tamron

I have a K-3 and looking for a 70-200mm f/2.8. I have finally decided after being on fence for 15 months this is the kind of lens I want. I am leaning toward Tamron (based on price and some reviews that say its optically better than the Sigma) but I want to hear from anyone who has a 70-200 f/2.8, what brand they use and how it works (focus, speed, sharpness etc). Main uses would be airplane photos, sports (tennis, baseball and soap box derby), plus a few wedding a years.

I already have a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4; Sigma 18-250mm and Pentax 50mm f/1.4.

Thanks in advance
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:03 AM   #2

Not sure how much help this might be but I have the Sigma version that I have been quite happy using. Mine is the f/2.8 APO HSM EX non-OS version for Sony/Minolta. Autofocus is much faster than the Minolta version I used prior to this lens. Quieter and lighter as well.

If one is not opposed to buying used the non-OS version of this lens can be had for much less than current MSRP

I cannot speak to the technical aspects of one over the other but will be happy to wander around today and get a few shots for your critique. Give me an idea of what you would like to see and I will work on it. MLK day shuts down most everything around here so wandering around with the camera a bit is just the thing to get me out of my office.

I find the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 APO HSM EX to be more comfortable for working length indoors if my Tamron 15-50 f/2.8 is not enough. I think I remember you and TCav talking about your 50-150 possibly acting as a bellows to suck dirt into your body. (camera body ) For that reason I am careful where I use the 50-150 and have not noticed any dust issues.

Steve

If you are not opposed to buying used there is an auction site with the non-OS Sigma for the same or a bit less than the Tamron new.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:15 AM   #3

Unfortunately, the newer Tamron 70-200/2.8 Di USD lens is not available for the Pentax Mount, and the Tamron 70-200/2.8 Di LD that is available uses the body's AF motor, and so is not as fast to focus as the Sigma HSM lens.

DxOMark has tested both the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM and the Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) on the Nikon D7100, which uses the same 24MP Sony image sensor as the Pentax K-3. According to them, the Sigma is much sharper and has less distortion. (Vignetting and CA are comparable.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:09 PM   #4

Here is a dog shot. Simple re size. No crop

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM APO EX non-os. Sony A-550
Attached Images

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Jan 20, 2014 at 5:32 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:42 PM   #5

Here is a second shot. I was sitting in the shop with her on a lead.

Again there is no crop just a re-size for the site limits
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:31 AM   #6

Yep, sigma is the way to go given what TCAV pointed to. Tamron revamped their lens design, but neither their latest, nor Sigma's latest 70-200 2.8 offerings are available in Pentax mount. Sigma is going to be the better option.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Tamron revamped their lens design, but neither their latest, nor Sigma's latest 70-200 2.8 offerings are available in Pentax mount.
While Sigma doesn't list their latest 70-200/2.8 with an available Pentax mount, they used to offer it, and it seems B&H still has some in stock.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:26 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I did not chime in sooner but have been having loads of trouble trying to get logged in to here and resetting my password. I have ordered a Sigma from bhphotovideo. They know I have concerns about it working and focusing fast (and that I was also looking at Tamron) and they said I will have 45 days to play with it and if it is not what I need I can return it for another one or refund. They told me over thr phone they have 4 of them in stock and their not selling fast, they sell more of the Tamrons for Pentax (3 to 1) and have not had any of the Tamron's returned in last 6 months, this person said 2 of the sigma's sold were returned for full refunds in the last 6 months. Thanks again for the exccellent info and picture sample.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
I find the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 APO HSM EX to be more comfortable for working length indoors if my Tamron 15-50 f/2.8 is not enough. I think I remember you and TCav talking about your 50-150 possibly acting as a bellows to suck dirt into your body. (camera body ) For that reason I am careful where I use the 50-150 and have not noticed any dust issues.
Yes that was a major issue and I sold the 50-150 over a year ago as well as my tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 that ended up not being wide enough for group shot at weddings I wanted the f/2.8 lens for and had the camera I was using cleaned. None of the 3 lenses I have no cause any dust issues (although I blow it out with blowr ever 2 weeks)
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Yep, sigma is the way to go given what TCAV pointed to. Tamron revamped their lens design, but neither their latest, nor Sigma's latest 70-200 2.8 offerings are available in Pentax mount. Sigma is going to be the better option.
Coming from you backed up by T-Cav you sold me on the Sigma, I will let you know how it goes/ I totally respect the two of you and all your advise. You both seems to be spot on most of the time if not all the time........