Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:38 PM   #1

Default An Unexpected Lens Purchase

I surprised myself today by ordering another lens for my Pentax DSLR kit: The DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4.0 Limited WR. I haven't added anything to my Pentax gear for quite a while.

The fact that the 20-40mm is smaller than any of my other wide-to-normal zooms is a big help. It's also faster than all but my big and heavy DA* 16-50 f/2.8. And it has weather resistance.

The best part: The lens has been priced at $999 since its introduction. But it's currently on a Black Friday sale for $679. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_20_40mm.html. I expect this price to go away by the end of the day (midnight) on Monday, Dec. 1.

The DA 20-40mm Limited is not perfect. But there are things I can forgive and live with at $679 that I can't at $1000.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post

The DA 20-40mm Limited is not perfect. But there are things I can forgive and live with at $679 that I can't at $1000.
I know what you mean about that - B&H got quite a bit of my money this Black Friday. The discount on the lenses I ordered wasn't much different than they were for Halloween weekend, but they were discounted enough that they fit (more or less) into my budget.

The 20-40 would be the only zoom I would consider buying at the moment, for same reason you gave - it is smaller and lighter than the 16-50. I love that lens but am having issues shooting with it now. So I'm temporarily replacing it with the tiny 15, 21, 31 and 40. Oh yes, the 35 macro should be included in the mix, too. I'll have 3 silver unicorn horns - 15, 21, and 40 to dress up my white K-S1.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:24 PM   #3

Hi, Harriet. With the K-S1 body and those lenses, you don't have to bother going with micro four-thirds or some other mirrorless system in order to keep the weight down. The DA Limited primes kept me with my Pentax kit even while I was experimenting with mirrorless cameras. I'm glad they did.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:17 PM   #4

The 20-40 is tempting, for its weight, WR, and focusing. Even at $699, though, I am curious to see the 16-85.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:29 PM   #5

I have the Q and while I enjoyed the pictures it took, and still have it, I missed having a viewfinder too much and found myself not using it once I bought the K3. I never really considered micro 4/3 since I have so many Pentax lenses and didn't want to mess around with adapters etc. I just didn't go out of my way to take any pictures when I got frustrated with the results I was getting with the K3 (wasn't the camera's fault). It's hard for me to be creative when I'm not feeling good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I have the Q and while I enjoyed the pictures it took, and still have it, I missed having a viewfinder too much and found myself not using it once I bought the K3.
The same here. I had the original Q along with the 01, 02 and 06 lenses. I loved the whole idea of the little camera and holding it in my hands. But the lack of a viewfinder and the fact that it wasn't pants or shirt pocketable meant that it stayed at home most of the time. So I sold off the entire kit after a year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
It's hard for me to be creative when I'm not feeling good.
Truer words were never spoken. Nothing can blunt creativity or productivity like pain. I sincerely hope the K-S1 is a long-term solution for you.

As an aside, if you were happy with the images from the Q, I can personally recommend the Olympus Stylus 1. Light, body not much bigger than the Q (and more pocketable with its lens retracted), a 1/1.7" sensor (same as the Q7 and new Q-S1), a very nice integrated electronic viewfinder and a fixed 28-300mm f/2.8 lens.