Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:15 PM   #1

Default Pentax DA* 200

Does anyone have experience with the DA* 200 lens? I am considering it as an alternative to the DA* 300, being lighter and one stop faster.

Context:I will have the F DA 100 and maybe one of these other lenses, as well as the 55-300 on the long side of the K-3.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:22 PM   #2

I like the DA200. I got it because I wanted a fast lens that was 200, and the DA is a lot lighter than the zoom alternatives. It has a character that I find pleasing, but some don't like it for some reason. It doesn't replace the DA300 in my book (I have both). Mine doesn't get as much use as it deserves though. On the other hand, I won't sell it because I bought it for a reason and it fills that reason very well. It doesn't play well with my 1.7 AFA, if I didn't have the 300, I would want the new 1.4 TC.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:51 PM   #3

I'm another one whose long glass in K mount is the D FA 100 and the DA 55-300. I've thought about both the 200 and 300, and even the Sigma 150-500. But, in the end, cost and/or weight always held me back. But I suppose a 200 at the right price would get my interest. Good luck in your search, MacBook.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:29 PM   #4

Why not just save up a few thousand dollars, and get one of the 200mm pentax macros? (Or buy two of them, and send me the other one)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:19 PM   #5

I did change my approach. I received a defective D FA 100 (it was too cheap to be true), and did not buy the 55-300.

Instead, I just bought a M 200 F4 for $62 plus shipping from KEH and decided to hold off on any other long lenses for now. It should be here next week sometime. It is due to mole, too, since your photographs with the M lenses are great -- and a 12 ounce 200mm lens sounds very nice.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:39 AM   #6

My first outing with the Pentax-M 200 F4 was this morning before work, as I had time for a few shots. I will have to improve my skills with the manual lens (and also get closer to the subjects). Being early morning, it was pretty low light -- limiting the aperture settings for DOF and also the shutter speed -- and these Hooded Mergansers were very active.

The first two are not cropped. The third is a crop, and although not very precise, showed some interesting dynamics.

Last edited by MacBook; Dec 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:28 PM   #7

Some very fine results under some very difficult conditions! Looking forward to seeing more as you continue to refine your manual focus techniques (and stalking techniques)...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote