Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:51 PM   #21

Mine came one day too late for the provincial Drama festival so I had to make do with my much slower FA 28-80mm.

I like it, yes it is heavy but it is also sharp and focus is fairly fast. Seems well constructed (I notice that when this lens was first announced it was to be an EX lens, I guess it didn't meet that high standard but is constructed like an EX). I am really enjoying the flexibility this lens offers, it is quite acceptable in sharpness, has good contrast and lens flare is well controlled (nice little multi coloured, near circular patches and little impact on contrast).

I just posted my first picture with it at: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=80&page=2

And below is one of my classroom 24mm, f2.8, 1/30, ISO 400, Auto white balance.

Thanks for the replies, I expect this lens to be my workhorse, drop the DL with this lens, an extra set of batteries and another memory card into my new Optex holster style zoom top-loader case, and I am ready for travelling light.

Ira

You can never have too many camera cases.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:39 PM   #22

Call me a show off if you like but here I go again. When I got the 100-300mm I posted pictures of it herehttp://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=80&page=1 , when I modified the old refconverter I posted it here http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80and when I asked people to list their equipment I included a picture of minehttp://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80 . Well here I go again.

This lens is huge compared with my Pentax lenses (except for the length of the 100-300mm) and feels heavier than any of my current lenses (Minolta Maxxum 70-210mm f4 excluded).

Ira

Attached Images

Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:31 PM   #23

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Mine came one day too late for the provincial Drama festival so I had to make do with my much slower FA 28-80mm.

I like it, yes it is heavy but it is also sharp and focus is fairly fast. Seems well constructed (I notice that when this lens was first announced it was to be an EX lens, I guess it didn't meet that high standard but is constructed like an EX). I am really enjoying the flexibility this lens offers, it is quite acceptable in sharpness, has good contrast and lens flare is well controlled (nice little multi coloured, near circular patches and little impact on contrast).

I just posted my first picture with it at: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=80&page=2

And below is one of my classroom 24mm, f2.8, 1/30, ISO 400, Auto white balance.
Did I get it right that u did not use the built in flash. At wide open it is quite impressive. Would you mind posting one at around 60mm and 135mm respectively (at say some pencil mug shots - my favorite this time of the year with no flash too). That is going to tell a lot. If you cannot do that use little support or tripod.

We look forward to seeing those.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:48 PM   #24

Daniel,

Here it is at 24mm, resized by Windows XP, f2.8, 1/20, ISO 200, window light.
Attached Images

Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:50 PM   #25

Here is 55mm, f4, 1/13, ISO 200 moments later. No processing, resized by Windows XP.
Attached Images

Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:51 PM   #26

Here is 135mm, f4.5, 1/10, ISO 200 again moments later. No processing, resized by Windows XP.
Attached Images

Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:00 PM   #27

Note that these are totally unprocessed except for resizing, using the Windows XP "powertool" (a crude but very convenient tool for posting pictures in a hurry). As you can see by the exposure values it was low light (it is near dusk here), all pictures shot at maximum aperture (wide open)and the cameramounted on a very lightweight Slik Sprint GM tripod. Hope it shows what you wanted to see. I am generally very pleased with this lens, sharper than the FA 28-80mm and with more control over DOF. This lens cannot compete with three primes but it does a more than adequate job.

Remember I paid $70.89 US for this lens, which retails at anywhere from $600 to $725 at the major Canadian retail camera stores.

Ira
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:24 PM   #28

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Note that these are totally unprocessed except for resizing, using the Windows XP "powertool" (a crude but very convenient tool for posting pictures in a hurry). As you can see by the exposure values it was low light (it is near dusk here), all pictures shot at maximum aperture (wide open) and the camera mounted on a very lightweight Slik Sprint GM tripod. Hope it shows what you wanted to see. I am generally very pleased with this lens, sharper than the FA 28-80mm and with more control over DOF. This lens cannot compete with three primes but it does a more than adequate job.

Remember I paid $70.89 US for this lens, which retails at anywhere from $600 to $725 at the major Canadian retail camera stores.

Ira
Ira,
Congrat. You got yourself a great deal there.
Looks really good even with the lowly resolution of around 50K. This huge range (24-135mm) is particularly difficult as it ranges from wide to mid tele range already.
Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:04 PM   #29

Any other owners out there who would like to comment.

Ira
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:41 AM   #30

just got mine today....it is a lot heavier than lenses I'm used to, but it feels very solid.* I don't know too much about lenses, but this one feels great and the pictures are coming out very nice (I'll post soon).**-dean
fiftiesdean is offline   Reply With Quote