Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 3, 2006, 10:14 AM   #41

Thanks, B.K. RMNP is beautiful indeed!

Ira, just got back from a 10 day tour of Canada and now have over1000 pictures made with the Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 and the DL. Will organize and post (well, not all of them) when time permits. Am still loving this lens! Have noticedsome comments by those who say that this lens is soft, but I ampleased with it, and, for my purposes, it works quite well. And, Ira, it looks to me like it is working well for you. Those are nice images you are posting.

Regards,

Lawrence

Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 7:09 PM   #42

Well I decided to go ahead and order this lens too ... for $100 its hard to resist (especially with the Canadian buck at its current great exchange rate). Will post my reactions once it arrives ... Look forward to seeing some of your pics Lawrence.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 7:16 PM   #43

Out in my back yard, a little hanger-on from last fall. 135mm, f4.5 (wide open), 1/160 sec, ISO 400. Considering that this was outdoors with a slight breeze and hand held, it looks good to me.

Great shots Dr. C I look forward to your next postings.

mgedit, good luck, I haven't had trouble and neither has Dr. C so hopefully you will also be pleased.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 10:44 AM   #44

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Considering that this was outdoors with a slight breeze and hand held, it looks good to me.
It sure looks good to me to! You really get these near-shots with few visual elements right (also thinking of the icicle)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:07 PM   #45

Hi, all! I'm a newbie to this forum (joined yesterday).I live in Naples FL. My primary digital camera is the ist DS. You guys got me all excited with your discussions about the Sigma 24-135mm zoom that Cameta is unloading at such a good price (not as good as first reported, but under $100 is still an exceptional price for this lens). I did the "buy it now" thing on EBay yesterday. It will complement the other two Sigma zooms that I got (also from Cameta), the 70-300 MacroSuper II (non-APO) andthe 24-70 (non-EX). Much of my work/fun is operating in the close-up realm (flowers, butterflies and other small fauna), and the Macro Super II has far exceeded my expectations. And while the 300 (effective 450mm) end of that lens is useful (and not as bad as many would have you believe),when cranked back to 200mm, that lens has given me some of my sharpest long images (SW Florida birds). When the flexibility ofzooming is not an over-riding concern on these longer shots, my old 400mm (effectively 600mm f6.3) Spiratone Sharpshooterstill gives me my crispest images.
vegasllew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:44 PM   #46

Just posted pictures made with the Pentax DL and the Sigma 24-135mm lens at Butchart Gardens in Victoria while on a ten day tour in Canada. The gallery is at http://www.pbase.com/drwindmill/butchart_gardens, if you are interested. As I mentioned on another forum, these images were not cropped or enhanced, just added a little light to most of them. Am trying to get these up quickly for our travel companions, but I think they demonstrate how the Sigma lens works for me.

Hope you enjoy them,

Lawrence

Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 6:35 PM   #47

Nice work Dr. C, hope you enjoyed your trip.

vegasllew, welcome aboard, hope you like the Sigma as much as Dr. C and I do. I just gavemy Samyang 80-200mm f4 macro zoom to a friend of mine in exchange for a Chinon 200mm f3.5 screw mount lens. Someone had crazy-glued the adaptor to the lens, removed the retaining spring and machined a notch in the lens barrel so that it now mounts as if it was a K-mount lens. Bizarre but very effective, these cameras are so much fun because of the compatability with these old lenses.

Ira

BTW Kjell, I just went to the local WalMart and had an 8" x 10" print made from the leaf picture above, it came out very nice, looks like another candidate for next years craft sale.
Old May 5, 2006, 2:06 PM   #48

They are very nice photos, the lens does a nice job, especially noticable if you look at some of these pictures full sized. Makes me really want a macro lens, but we just bought a new car so the lens may be on hold a bit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 7:43 PM   #49

My wife just brought me a Tiffen UV haze filter for my Sigma, expensive but worth while. I realize that filters add a flare factor but I still like the security of having an extra glass to protect the front element (old habits die hard). I am getting some excellent results from this lens.

mtngal, I also haven't noticed any optical problesm like softness toward the edges, I guess I just don't look hard enough:-). I would also like a macro lens, the Pentax FA 100mm f3.5 is the same Cosina lens sold as a Phoenix or a Vivitar (except for the SMC coating), and these sometimes go for very low prices on ebay (or from the same source as this Sigma ). Apparently it is no great lens but quite acceptable to those of us who want to do some macro work but don't see it as our main passion.

Ira
Old May 7, 2006, 10:05 PM   #50

I looked on b&H for pricing on the Phoenix - it looks quite reasonable compared to the Sigma 105 f2.8 macro.

Then I made the mistake of looking at the 70-300 macro lenses (both Sigma and Tamron). Sigh - so many decisions. It makes sense to get the Sigma or the Phoenix - I'd be taking mostly flowers so don't really need a zoom with macro capabilities. I have the 50-200 which is plenty sharp, so I don't need the zoom for normal picture-taking, just for macro. The faster lens would be nice because it's often shady where I find flowers and extra speed would certainly help but isn't absolutely necessary. I find 200mm enough for handholding and I rarely bother to set up a tripod. My past experience with the FZ30 was that it wasn't fast enough for me to handhold. OK, I'm talked out of anything other than a prime lens around 100mm - that's what makes the most sense to me.

The price of the Phoenix is nice and I could swing that fairly soon, where the Sigma or Pentax would have to wait. However, I'd hate to get it and discover that I wouldn't be happy with how sharp the pictures are (I do love sharp flower pictures) - I'd rather wait and spend the money once. And after my 1 month experience with the FZ30, I've discovered I'm pretty picky when it comes to my own pictures. How much worse is the Phoenix?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote