Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 8, 2006, 5:33 AM   #51

I haven't used one but read here:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...1_3111crx.aspx

and here:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...cat/all/page/1

and here:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour.../100f35-2.html

Most of these reviews say that Cosina (Vivitar, Phoenix, Soligor, Pentax) really skimped on the materials but produced an optically excellent lens. If macro is your main effort I would probably go with a Tamron or Sigma, but this Phoenix/Vivitar lens is quite capable.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 9:04 PM   #52

Didn't want to start a new post for this picture since it isn't very good but there is something I like about it. The bright glow is the evening sun, I used fill flash in the strong backlight but the huge Sigma got in the way and cast a nasty shadow on the stem. This definitely goes down as one of the shots I should have looked at right away since there was the potential of greatness (or should I say the upper level of mediocrity at least).
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2006, 12:41 AM   #53

I can see why you like it - it's really nice, even with it's faults. Maybe we should start a new thread for pictures we like but are just-misses (I took some this past weekend at Red Rock Canyon).

Thanks for the links to the reviews - it sounds like this will work well for me (the 2 words I love to hear were in the reviews - light weight and sharp). I feel better about telling my hubby that's what I want for my birthday. I still think fondly of the Pentax that has the $100 rebate at the moment, but really can't justify it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 9:40 AM   #54

mtngal, great idea for a thread, if you start it let me know.

I will be on the lookout for that macro lens as well, I don't really care what name is on it but if it is used make sure the 1:1 adaptor is included.

Ira
Old May 11, 2006, 4:34 PM   #55

i bought this same lens last week and had the same menu and focusing problems. according to sigma, i should send the lens in for a software update so it will work properly with my *ist DL.

i also found the lens to be a bit on the heavy side, bulky and the zoom was not smooth at all.

i returned the lens and picked up a Tamron 28-300 instead.

opiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 3:51 PM   #56

Guys, I wish this problem didn't exist, it is a very good lens. I used it at our high schoolsenior promto shoot each of the Seniors get their certificate (120 of them). This is shot with a Vivitar 285 flash with remote sensor (set on the red setting), stroboframe camera-flip bracket and the Sigma set at 70mm. The exposure was on manual with daylight WB, f5.6 and 1/100 sec.

I also used it earlier to shoot some formal portraits for a local photo company, usingtheir two light setup with two 250ws monolights shooting reflected from an umbrella with a continuous white paper background. Since I didn't take my son's picture I cannot show you an example (copyright issues with the company and lack of a model release make it a problem).

Ira
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2006, 4:08 PM   #57

Let me refer to this post http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80 which (unfortunately) is more bad luck news.

If anyone gets the lens ungraded by Sigma please report their experience.

Ira
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:58 PM   #58

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sigma-24-135mm-Le...QQcmdZViewItem

Look at the impact that the K-series Pentax dSLRs is havving on the lens market!!! Remember when we bought these for less than $80?, now nearly $180!

Ira
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:22 PM   #59

Yes, it's hard to believe some of the prices Pentax lenses are now going for. LBA mania. I bought that lens for $95 which included the shipping. I liked it the IQ, but the malfuntions with the Fn button and it started losing it's focus lock made me get rid of it. I bought the equivalent Tamron 24-135 - paid quite a bit more, but it has no issues, and the IQ is outstanding for a long zoom. I still wish the Sigma I had would work properly, but if anything, it got worse as time went on. I've had 3 Sigmas now, and none have worked to my satisfaction. Maybe I'm unlucky with their products, but I doubt now that I'd buy any more of their lenses.....Don.

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sigma-24-135mm-Le...QQcmdZViewItem

Look at the impact that the K-series Pentax dSLRs is havving on the lens market!!! Remember when we bought these for less than $80?, now nearly $180!

Ira
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:08 PM   #60

Yeah I saw that Ira. I was surprised when it went up too. Mine has the problem but I just decided to keep it. It takes great pics and Ive learned to work around the menu problems. I paid 129$ and for that the good far outweighs the bad. I can't believe the prices on some of these lenses though. It's nice that Pentax is making a comeback, but with the damn prices going through the roof it's taking a big bite out of my wallet. Won't be long and we'll be paying N and C prices for glass.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote