Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:22 AM   #61

Hi,

A few of the people on DPreview have had Sigma fix them for free. Call them and explain the problem. If they have the parts send it in and have it fixed. But call first to make sure they have the parts.

LBA will do that to the prices of lenses... LOL

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 5:21 AM   #62

Hi everybody,

Just got on this forum and have really enjoyed the comments and the photos. I just got a DL in September and have been shooting some wonderful pix with the kit lens. I've posted a few I got in Switzerland and at home. You can see them at http://picasaweb.google.com/glenn2shelia

I was really interested in the Sigma 24-135, but it sounds as if, with the price taking off and the issues with the electronics, spending the extra for the Tamron might be the way to go. Has anyone tried the Sigma 17-70 on a Pentax?

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:27 AM   #63

Welcome, Glenn, to the friendly Pentax forum. Your penholder pic is a classic, I guess most of us have some of our's. Nice Malawi ciklids you got there, too.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:41 PM   #64

Hi, Glenn! Welcome to thePentax forum. If you are going to take lots of indoor volleyball pictures, you might want to look at one of the fast primes - you did a great job with kit lens, considering the lighting (lack there-of) and the relatively slow speed of the kit lens. And I get the impression you are from New York? Your Rangers are certainly doing better than our Kings this year. Don't suppose you want to trade goaltenders, do you? :-)
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:14 PM   #65

Mtmgal,

Sorry about the Kings. Rangers are doing OK. I will be looking for a normal (50 mm) lens when I get back to the states. In Germany at the moment. I imagine I will be able to find an old 2.0 or 1.8 at a reasonable price. Have a great day!

Glenn
Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:59 PM   #66

Kjell,

Thanks for the welcome. I guess there is something interesting in a box full of pens and pencils! Perhaps its all the nice straight lines and distinct definition of those sorts of things!

Glenn
Old Jan 3, 2007, 5:52 PM   #67

Or maybe it's the first thing in sight when you unwrap that parcel and it's dull outside...:-)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:33 PM   #68

Wow, lots of Canadian folks out here. Haha. I usually post in the DCResource forums because of the user friendly forum set up. (Talk about having to click to view every reply like on the DPReview discussion boards...ugh)

I've been using the 24-135mm for 3 or 4 months now and even have a simple review posted over at the DCR forums.

Anyways, I just encountered a not so small problem. I bought the lens because of its price ($99US at the time) and its compatibility with digital and film. I just took my MZ-M and the lens out of my camera bag and I heard a slight rattling noise.

After a while it stopped. But the thing is, my aperture ring doesn't 'respond' anymore. My blades retain that "closed" f32 position despite turning the aperture ring up and down. I pull back on the aperture pin that stucks out and the aperture blades open up and close with ease. But get this.. I reattach it onto my MZ-M, I turn the aperture ring to the various numbered locations (f2.8...f3.5 etc..), press the Depth of Field Preview and the lens stops down to f32 regardless of the aperture I set.

Weird thing is that when I set the lens on A mode, the camera picks up the aperture fine and stops it down according. I tried this on my Samsung GX-1L (rebranded Pentax *istDL2) with the same effect.

Basically, my 24-135 morphed from an "FA" type autofocus lens complete with aperture ring function to an "FAJ" with aperture functioning only on A mode.

Did a spring fell out? I had a friend help me order this from Cameta Camera's eBay store brand new. It was fine the whole time. Just today or yesterday it might have happened. But I've always took care of my lens. Didn't drop it or anything.

Any help or suggestions would be great! thanks!
CptOfGondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:44 AM   #69

I had mine repaired by the Canadian distributer for free under waranty (also bought from Cameta). Here is their contact info:

Gentec International
90 Royal Crest Court
Markham, Ontario
L3R 9X6

telephone (905) 513-7733
fax (905) 415-9715

service[email protected]

They are close to you and I found them great to deal with. Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:48 AM   #70

Oh wow! Thats great to know! Thanks alot! Just hope my friend didn't like toss the receipt! Haha.

I just need to fill out my warranty card and show them right?
CptOfGondor is offline   Reply With Quote