Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:56 PM   #11

Pentax recently published the following to list the features of the new Q camera. I thought it would be important to post it here as it has a lot of info about this new product.

I noted with particular interest, the information about Bokeh and how this camera manages it. As many have said, in the end....the proof of how good this...or any camera is...will be revealed in testing and use in the real world.

Pentax's info:

"World's Smallest and Lightest Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
The Q represents an evolution in interchangeable lens digital camera design, featuring the world’s smallest and lightest body. Experience the PENTAX Q. The Camera. Evolved.
Q-Mount Lens System
The Q features the newly designed PENTAX Q-mount lens system for convenient interchangeability with a variety of specialty Q lenses. Choose from a selection of prime, zoom, fisheye lenses, and more to suit just about any photographic need. The Q system will be available in a standard kit that includes the 8.5mm lens (equivalent to 47mm).
12.4 Megapixels
Enjoy exceptional image quality in 12.4 megapixels courtesy of the Q’s 1/2.3 inch backlit CMOS image sensor. Capable of producing 12 bit DNG RAW and JPG images, the backlit CMOS sensor is a highly efficient light-gathering instrument designed specifically to produce very low noise at high levels of sensitivity.
Durable
Though extremely compact, the Q is also surprisingly durable, sporting lightweight, scratch resistant magnesium alloy body.
Traditional DSLR Shooting Modes
Experienced photographers will enjoy the power and flexibility of traditional DSLR shooting modes such as Program, Aperture/Shutter Priority, and Metered Manual exposure control. Yet casual shooters will appreciate the highly convenient automatic modes such as the set-it-and-forget-it PENTAX Auto Picture and 21 scene modes.
Customizable Quick Dial
Conveniently choose from a variety of creative modes, Smart Effect options, or camera settings to assign to the Q’s Quick Dial located on the front of the camera. Easily customize the setting or effect using the Quick Dial’s 4 positions, allowing you to concentrate on photography without having to explore the camera’s menu system.
HDR Capture
In-camera HDR capture mode shoots 3 images of varying exposures, blending them to bring out the details in even the darkest shadows and brightest highlights of extreme contrast shots.
1080p HD Video
Shoot high quality motion video with stunning full 1080p HD clarity at 30 frames per second. The Q efficiently processes the full HD video using high quality h.264 compression for superior color and detail. Explore creative video effects through the use of custom image modes, digital video filters, and interval shooting; or select from a variety of Q lenses to realize your perfect artistic vision.
Sensor-Shift Shake ReductionCapture stabilized, blur and dust free images even in low lighting courtesy of the Q’s sensor-shift Shake Reduction system with integrated DRII Dust Reduction. Body-based Shake Reduction operates independently of the Q’s lenses, allowing the same level of stabilization regardless of lens selection.
3 Inch LCD Monitor
Easily capture or review images and video using the Q’s large 3 inch LCD monitor. The high quality LCD features HVGA resolution with 460,000 dots, as well as viewing angles up to 170 degrees horizontally and vertically.
5 FPS
Capture even the fastest action with a 5 frames per second continuous shooting mode, ideal for sporting events, children at play, or any fast action situation.
Bokeh Control Filter
Enjoy effortless bokeh control with the Q’s bokeh control filter. Traditionally controlled through a DSLR lens’s aperture, bokeh is the out of focus part of the background that helps to emphasize the subject, drawing the viewer’s eyes to the most important part of the photo. The Q assists the experienced and casual photographer alike by offering a fine degree of extra control over image bokeh via an in-camera filter operation.
Smart Effects Mode
New Smart Effects modes enhance digital photography by applying a series of effects to images to achieve high quality finishing. Brilliant Color, Vintage Color, Warm Fade, Bold Monochrome, and Water Color are just some of the Smart Effects available, which can also be assigned to the Q’s Quick Dial.
USER Modes For Creativity
Powerful USER modes allow the creative photographer to save a series of favorite camera settings, filters, and custom image modes for instant reuse.
1/2000 to 30 Second Shutter Speeds
Shutter speeds range from 1/2000 to 30 seconds, perfect for freezing fast action or capturing long nighttime exposures. Bulb mode adds flexibility for low light photography and motion effects.
Built-In Popup Flash
The Q’s built-in popup flash adds the perfect amount of extra light to an image, while its high extension naturally reduces the redeye effect common to compact cameras. The Q’s flash is effective to 23 feet at 200 ISO, and covers a wide angle 28 degree field of view.
HDMI Port
A built-in micro HDMI port is perfect for outputting high resolution images and video, with sound, to modern HDTVs.
SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memorey Cards
The Q is compatible with the latest generation SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards for ultra-high capacity storage as well as outstanding image file portability.
RAW File Processing
The Q includes SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3 software for powerful and flexible RAW file processing. In-camera RAW image development is also supported.
External Viewfinder Available Separately
Compose images and video either with the Q’s LCD monitor or using a shoe-mounted viewfinder attachment available as an optional accessory. The External Viewfinder O-VF1 makes an excellent accessory to the Q, offering outstanding compositional framing, even in the brightest sunlight where viewing an LCD screen is traditionally a challenge."

Last edited by lesmore49; Jun 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
1/2.23 is only really good upto 600iso, even at 2.8 with the 1/1.63 you can shoot well at 1600iso for a point and shoot.
I have posted some of the info from Pentax which goes into some detail about this new camera. It is far too early, IMO, to assess what it can do and what it can't do...as it just came out.

But as mentioned before technology marches on and has a way of dealing with photographic challenges.

This new Q seems to deal with photographic issues in a resourceful way. It may surprise us with it's ability to do more with less. Or it may not. We shall see.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Jun 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:55 PM   #13

well pentax made image resources pull there samples of the Q from their website. That is not a great sign. If it was great, they would want them to keep the samples up like they did with the k-5.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:32 PM   #14

I'm sure the Q will be a quality piece. But the $800 pricetag just makes no sense to me... particularly when there are a number of cameras already on the market with backlit 1/2.3 sensors and quality lenses for half the price.

I could be wrong but it seems to me many (most?) photo enthusiasts will find the sensor size too limiting while mainstream consumers who aren't concerned about sensor size, noise and depth of field probably can't be bothered with interchangeable lenses. I truly think most of these people will find a compact super zoom more convenient and a better value.

It's not that I think one can't get reasonable quality out of the sensor - technology marches on. But the price makes me wonder who Pentax is targeting with the Q. I'll wait until we see actual images from the camera before making a technical judgement. But, at $800, I'll wait for Pentax's APS-C mirror less camera.

Last edited by Biro; Jun 24, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:17 AM   #15

I still want one! Minox made a tiny camera that used 16mm film, it was a popular prop in spy movies of the 1960s because of it's tiny size. The negatives produced were also tiny (of course) but that was an expensive, quality camera and could produce amazing prints (at least up to 8" X 10" - any European readers, could you tell me which size is closest to 8X10 in your system?). I see this camera in much the same way.

If I am being honest, few of my shots are being made into prints, and those that are are usually only 8X10, however there is a 4 foot by 6 foot print of one of my wife's shots (a 6MP from a K100D Super) in the foyer of a local supermarket and it looks very good unless you stand very close. We also have many prints of up to 8X10 from a 2MP Fuji. Now I understand the difference in noise levels, the Fuji shot at ISO 100 only with a 1/2.? sensor but at 2MP, so there was little noise if the light was good. My point is that noise is not going to be an issue in web sized images (which is all we usually see these days), and will probably not be an issue in the moderately sized prints we usually make.

I really hope this is a success and I hope the price falls far enough for me to afford one. I really like the idea of a pocket-able system that still allows me to play with the settings.

Time will tell.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:26 PM   #16

I'm surprised to say that I'm seriously considering getting one. A lot will depend on the IQ and high ISO performance.

First, I'll admit to be fascinated by a camera that looks like a toy, but appears to be built to very high quality standards.

I've not been excited by APS-C or 4/3 cameras because they don't offer much difference to my DSLR in photographic capability, and have the major (for me) detraction of only an EVF. The Q system differs in that it offers significantly greater DOF at wider apertures. Many seem to see this as a negative aspect, but for the purposes that I can see using this camera, this would be either neutral or a positive.

If the IQ is up to what I expect from the Sony backlit CMOS without the AA filter as has been rumored, then I could imagine myself using the Q for street photography with the OVF. I live in a very urban area, but have shied away from shooting street stuff because of the reactions that I have gotten with my DSLRs in the city. With the toy-like appearance of the Q, I don't think I'd intimidate many people or draw much attention, so it could open up a whole genre for me. I actually like shooting candids of people, but you'd never know it from the vast majority of what I shoot. . .

Again, given good IQ, the Q could be an impressive macro camera. I could start by getting a 40.5-52 step up ring and use either my Nikon 4T or Raynox 250 and hope for a long dedicated macro to be introduced. With a camera this light, something like the Benbo Mini Trekker, and hopefully the ability to use remote wireless P-TTL flash, this could be an impressive and very convenient creature shooter.

This camera begs for a full featured very compact P-TTL flash. Give me a lightweight, pocketable, bounceable flash with full FGZ modes and a GN of 20-40, and I'd use it with both the Q and my DSLRs. Make it under $200, and it would be a no-brainer for me with or without the Q.

If they were to make a K to Q adapter, this camera with the adapter would be like having a 3.7x TC that doesn't rob light in my pocket. That would give me 1887mm FOV EQ @ f4.8 with my 300/2.8 and 1.7x AFA -- pretty outrageous. . . and it would still focus to @ 6 ft. I can't even imagine what might be done with this.

I'd actually consider getting all 4 lenses plus the OVF, but would probably start with the standard prime and zoom with the OVF. I'd probably use the OVF almost exclusively, even with the zoom as I could adjust the limits of the frame mentally and just use the VF to center the scene. I'm not sure how well this would work, but it would be worth a try for me anyway. . .

I don't know about the "toy lenses, I'd have to see what they have to offer, but my imagination says that they might be fun. The fisheye would likely be the first addition though.

The more I think about it, the more I'm impressed with the potential this concept might hold for me. I hope that the reality is not a disappointment, but if it is, then I just saved about a grand for other possible toys. . .or something more mundane like food or gas. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:40 PM   #17

well with the 1/2.23 sensor with the sony sensor is only good to 600 and push 800iso. I do not think you will get any different iso performance form the sony sensor.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
well with the 1/2.23 sensor with the sony sensor is only good to 600 and push 800iso. I do not think you will get any different iso performance form the sony sensor.
"Good" high ISO performance is a very subjective thing, so we'll have to see. Many consider K-5 over 3200 unusable, but I shoot jpgs at up to 10000 without much concern. A lot of IQ opinions are based only on OOC images and default settings, neither of which are worth much to me since I usually tweak everything, both in the camera and in post.

I've never counted on other people's opinions of what is good enough for my purposes, so I don't think I'll do it this time either. I'll wait for some real samples from a production camera and lenses and make my decision on whether it might suit my purposes or not at that time, but until then, I'll retain what I consider a restrained optimism.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:53 PM   #19

I have to agree that this is a fascinating concept. I love the idea of a small camera that can easily be carried everywhere. I can't even count the number of wonderful photo opportunities I have missed because I didn't have my DSLR with me. I've driven by moose munching on aquatic weeds, rainbows over Vermont hillsides during foliage season, etc. I have bee thinking about getting a high quality P&S for quite a while, just to have a small camera that I would be much more likely to have with me on a daily basis.

But I have to agree with Harriet -- for $800 I could get a Kr, or I could get a very nice lens for my K20. I'm afraid that right now the Q is is too pricey for me. With that said, I hope this product succeeds in the marketplace, and I hope this becomes a very profitable product line for Pentax.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:39 PM   #20

I can understand this camera better than an APS-C sized mirrorless, at least from Pentax. The size is the big thing - an APS-C mirrorless wouldn't be enough smaller than the KR/KX cameras, and I think many people would end up going to a dSLR instead of the EVIL camera. Offering the smallest interchangeable lens camera is something unique, I could see it selling well.

I know there's a lot of people thinking that this won't work and no one will buy it. I heard the same thing about Apple introducing the iPad. It's done very well, made money for Apple. I hope the Q has half as much success. While I'm not really in the market for this, I'm going to be very interested to see how it does. If it does well, I'll have a very tough time resisting one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote