Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:02 PM   #1

Default New Pentax Q Mount

Just heard. Sounds like an interesting system....interchangeable lenses....five.

I bought a Canon G 12 about 6 months ago...really like it, but am wondering if I should of held off.

Have to wait for tests, reviews, opinions of new system.

I wonder if Canon and Nikon will be soon introducing a micro system with interchangeable lenses ?

So far, I think the list with a micro system includes Pentax, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus.

I'm probably missing some manufacturer.

Hope it doesn't affect DSLR stuff...don't think so...but my camera crystal ball has never been known for it's reliability.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:12 PM   #2

You have a much smaller sensor in the Q, I would wait for the aps-c evil over the Q. It will not be able to match you G12 in low light.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
You have a much smaller sensor in the Q, I would wait for the aps-c evil over the Q.certainly smaller, I wouldn't say much smaller. Also technology marches on and I'm constantly surprised how much improved digital cameras are with each new generation.

It will not be able to match you G12 in low light.
Again....not sure . My G12 has an F 2.8 lens, while one of the interchangeable Q lenses is a 47 mm, F 1.9...quite fast, particularly compared to the F 2.8. A fast lens as we know can make a significant difference when it comes to available light photography.

I will have to wait to see reviews and tests before I know...also I want to get my hands on this new Q...to personally see how the Q performs in the real world...all specs aside.

BTW, I have absolutely no quarrel with my Canon G 12....it is a fabulous little camera. I have used it for indoor available light photography a lot and it really is quite impressive, in these circumstances as well other photographic lighting situations.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jun 23, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:49 PM   #4

1/2.23 is only really good upto 600iso, even at 2.8 with the 1/1.63 you can shoot well at 1600iso for a point and shoot.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:15 AM   #5

I'll be interested in seeing what kind of results they get out of the sensor. Also to see if they come out with a K to Q adaptor. It would be interesting to see what the difference would be between a picture taken with this new camera and a DA*300 compared to one taken with a K5 and cropped to have the same field of view. Might be quite interesting for birders and other wildlife photographers IF the quality is good.

It would be very cool to have a camera with good quality interchangeable lenses that would fit in my purse. I could be tempted but have no plans in going that direction. Price is too close to the Kx/Kr range for me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
1/2.23 is only really good upto 600iso, even at 2.8 with the 1/1.63 you can shoot well at 1600iso for a point and shoot.

I think we need to wait and see how this system tests out before making any judgements.

At best right now as the camera was just announced...any assessment is a guess.

We just don't know at this point...for sure. Technology always marches on and continues to surprise me.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'll be interested in seeing what kind of results they get out of the sensor. I agree. I'm waiting to see with a fair amount of anticipation. Also to see if they come out with a K to Q adaptor. It would be interesting to see what the difference would be between a picture taken with this new camera and a DA*300 compared to one taken with a K5 and cropped to have the same field of view. Might be quite interesting for birders and other wildlife photographers IF the quality is good.I didn't think about that...but boy would that be something. This new camera design and technology I find quite exciting.

It would be very cool to have a camera with good quality interchangeable lenses that would fit in my purse. I could be tempted but have no plans in going that direction. Price is too close to the Kx/Kr range for me.
I am looking to the future where I can carry an assortment of really good camera equipment with little difficulty. Just the other day a friend and I were out in the outdoors. We are both older guys in our 60's, both had our DSLR's with us, but chose just to carry the body with lens attached, to avoid carrying extra weight.

We had gotten about 500 yards when we decided we needed to have another lens...back to the car to get and change the lens.

We both realized we should carry extra lenses with us so we don't need to do this. But as we age, we find that every bit of extra weight is noticeable. This new system if it is very good (we'll have to wait to see) might be the answer for those of us that find we need to cut back on weight, etc.

Also as you mentioned this might be quite good for birders, etc...

Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:19 PM   #8

Just one comment, I foolishly started a Q tread on the dslr forum (I didn't notice this was here).

To be fair to the Pentax Q I think the smaller sensor, since it is a backlit design, may perform as well as a 1/1.7" sensor of "normal" design so we really should wait and see. (No I do not make any unrealistic claims about comparing to APS-C or even M4/3, the larger sensors should be cleaner and have much more control over DOF, that is a given) To me having a compact camera that does not have to extend its lens everytime you start it up is a big plus in itself. I know they have gotten very quiet but I cannot get the kitten-call sound of my previous p$s cameras at startup. Some were so loud that I would get questioning stares whenever I turned them on.

I don't see this camera as a toy or as a replacement for a DSLR, it is just a high quality compact camera which can be carried anywhere and gives the experienced photographer a more familiar platform to work from. If cost were no object my name would be on a pre-order today but to me the big drawback is that hefty price tag.

As for the issue of DOF, given that this camera will be more of a snapshot camera, and that many photographers strive for more depth rather than smooth bokeh, it may actually be seen as an advantage to some. Personally I have no problem with that, if I want to limit DOF I will reach for my DSLR and a fast lens. I am neither praising nor condemning, I just like the fact that Pentax has done something new and different and I hope it is a success (and that the price drops into my range).

Hopefully I will see some sample images soon.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Just one comment, I foolishly started a Q tread on the dslr forum (I didn't notice this was here).

To be fair to the Pentax Q I think the smaller sensor, since it is a backlit design, may perform as well as a 1/1.7" sensor of "normal" design so we really should wait and see. (No I do not make any unrealistic claims about comparing to APS-C or even M4/3, the larger sensors should be cleaner and have much more control over DOF, that is a given) To me having a compact camera that does not have to extend its lens everytime you start it up is a big plus in itself. I know they have gotten very quiet but I cannot get the kitten-call sound of my previous p$s cameras at startup. Some were so loud that I would get questioning stares whenever I turned them on.

I don't see this camera as a toy or as a replacement for a DSLR, it is just a high quality compact camera which can be carried anywhere and gives the experienced photographer a more familiar platform to work from. If cost were no object my name would be on a pre-order today but to me the big drawback is that hefty price tag.

As for the issue of DOF, given that this camera will be more of a snapshot camera, and that many photographers strive for more depth rather than smooth bokeh, it may actually be seen as an advantage to some. Personally I have no problem with that, if I want to limit DOF I will reach for my DSLR and a fast lens. I am neither praising nor condemning, I just like the fact that Pentax has done something new and different and I hope it is a success (and that the price drops into my range).

Your kind of where I am Ira. I'm excited about this new line of cameras that Pentax has brought out and I'm looking forward to reviews...also to get my hands on one, to see for myself.

I have my DSLR system (Pentax K10D...KM bodies) and attendant Pentax lenses. I'm very pleased with this equipment.

But there has always been the appeal of a smaller camera...a camera that is quite competent....more than just a basic point and shoot.

In my film days I used to carry around my old Leica Rangefinder screw mount for this task...using my slr's and medium format for 'serious' photography.

But now I'm firmly in digital and I found my dslr's a bit too much for me to carry around on a daily basis. I do like to have a camera with me at all times when I'm out doing errands, going for walks, etc.

I like the qualities of portable, ability to adjust settings, good optics, ability to attach a flash to a hotshoe in a small camera.

The little Canon (can I say that word in this forum ) G12 fulfills those requirements well.

But the idea of a small camera body with interchangeable lenses has a big appeal to me.

Mtngal's idea about possibilities of using K series lenses with a K to Q mount adapter, is a fine idea. Think of the potential if this could be engineered !

Hopefully I will see some sample images soon.
I'm waiting in eager anticipation for this.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:17 PM   #10

To get a bit philosophical about the whole dof question - my all-time favorite photographer is Ansel Adams. I once read a comment someone made about how he would belong to the f64 club, if there were such a thing - meaning that he would love to have unlimited depth of field, and many of his landscape pictures reflect that. Recently I've been fighting the dof limitations of some of my lenses and thinking fondly of my F717 days, with a small sensor and very large dof. While I often love to isolate subjects using small dof, it can be the wrong thing completely for other types of shots.

If you had asked me what I would have expected from this sensor a year ago I would have said "not much". My previous experience had been that adding extra mp to a small sensor was the death of good pictures, introducing way too much noise and less dynamic range. But then I went from the 14 mp sensor in the K7 to the 16 mp sensor in the K5 and was extremely pleasantly surprised that the K5 has much better noise control and a huge gain in dynamic range over the older K7. So now I won't automatically judge this sensor based on its size and number of pixels, I'll wait for the test results.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote