Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Default What would you do with a Pentax Q?

What if someone just walked up to you and handed you a Pentax Q?

What would you do with a Pentax Q?

Just a fun little question I'd like to send out.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:43 PM   #2

Stick it in my purse and carry it everywhere. Probably buy a Raynox or another add-on macro lens, sure would be nice to have a bigger dof.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:11 PM   #3

I'd take their picture, just in case it'd been stolen.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:30 PM   #4

I would carry it with me...everywhere. Hi quality camera ...extra small..like the sound of it.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 1:21 AM   #5

it would sit next to my minox most of the time as nice show piece and use it as a point and shoot from time to time. The lenses are to pricey for what they are. And have way to little dof control.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:54 AM   #6

Make sure all of my jackets had big enough pockets and get cargo pants. This thing would be with me everywhere.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:35 PM   #7

'thought about it a bit . . .

1) With the 01 Prime, I'd try taking more candid shots. As mentioned elsewhere, this camera would probably attract less attention than my dSLR.

2) With the fisheye, I'd carry it around with me while using my dSLR. Whenever I wanted to take a quick fisheye snap, I'd have the Pentax Q ready. No lens change. And no double dSLR. Just the extra camera in my pocket.

3) And with the toy wide angle, I'd try out the cross processing mode and play around with getting something like those great Holga and Lomo shots I see.

4) And, as mentioned, whenever I don't want the bulk of a dSLR, I'd have this in my pocket available at a moments notice to start playing around whenever an opportunity presented itself.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:46 PM   #8

I'd say "Darn it why didn't he hand me a full frame camera?"

But I would use the Q I think it would be fun to play with.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:34 PM   #9

Depending on IQ, for it would be most suitable for handheld lower light landscapes and architectural shots, handheld macro, and street shooting, all of which benefit from greater DOF with wider apertures. I think it would be good for candids and events where you can be pretty inconspicuous, and the Q will be very quiet.

Other than that, I'd use it for anything when I didn't bring the DSLR, but had the Q in my pocket.

Thinking about it seriously as a photographic tool has made me a believer if the execution comes anywhere near the potential.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:59 PM   #10

I'd keep and use it for... what? City/streetscapes and landscapes. It still wouldn't be as compact in terms of pocketability as my Canon S95, which is the camera I use when I need to slip it into a shirt, blazer or tuxedo pocket without being too obvious. The Q might also be great for lengthy nature walks and hikes.

I'll say one thing: If actual production versions of the Q include weather resistance, all of a sudden the camera would be a player with the outdoors/nature crowd. To date, there is not a single camera in the new, mirrorless, interchangeable lens category with WR. Pentax can break from the pack by including it with the Q and with the APS-C MILC that's expected later this year.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote