Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:06 PM   #1

Default Pentax K mount lens to Q adapter

Hi All,

It seems that the first K mount lens To Q adapter has been released by jinfinance on Ebay. It includes a tripod mount and aperture control ring.

It's $59 USD, so reasonably priced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RJ-Pentax-PK...item20be8e40fd

My experience with 2 purchases so far from jinfinance have been that the items are exactly as described, and shipping is fast and trackable via USPS tracking. I was very pleasantly surprised both times to receive the items in one week from the time of order from Shanghai to my town just outside Chicago.

I was apparently the second to order one, and I'll post some examples once I've had some chance to use it.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:21 AM   #2

Looking forward to your experience with it. Your idea of using the Q for macro really intrigues me, more so than for shooting telephoto. So I'll be very interested to see how you do with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Looking forward to your experience with it. Your idea of using the Q for macro really intrigues me, more so than for shooting telephoto. So I'll be very interested to see how you do with it.
Hi Harriet,

The Q with K lenses takes a whole lot of rethinking for macro type shooting. For example, a 50mm non macro lens becomes the EQ of a 180mm lens on an APS-C body, but retains its max aperture and Minimum Focusing Distance of @ 18", so without any modifiers, about 1.5" fills the frame. With an achromatic close up like the Nikon 4T (@ 2.9 diopter), @ 20mm fills the frame, and with a Raynox DCR 250, @ 10mm fills the frame horizontally.

I'm accustomed to 23.7mm filling the frame horizontally at 1:1, and using this as my reference, the lens alone gives me better than 1:2, with the 4T, a bit better than 1:1, and with the DCR 250, a bit better than 2:1. MFDs are @ 18" (from the sensor plane), and @ 7.5", and @ 4" respectively (from the end of the 50mm + diopter), and with the internal flash popped up, it can actually light the whole frame, though it's not at an ideal angle.

Flash, BTW, bit flakey at this point with the Q. I expect Pentax Ricoh to address this in firmware, but we'll see. With Q lenses and the popup flash, everything works as expected in P-TTL, and the Q does not try to balance ambient with flash like the many of the newer DSLRs, so it chooses a lower ISO when the camera is in Auto ISO. With external P-TTL flash everything's also good, but when I try a non-dedicated external flash, things get a bit strange. I need to turn the flash "Off" in the flash menu to get a manual flash to fire. The same would be true of radio triggers or anything else that you'd want to trigger with a flash sync signal.

With adapted lenses, it's also strange -- the only modes where the flash will fire are in "Slow sync" and Red-Eye Reduction", so there's a preflash, and the camera actually meters somewhat, at least in P-TTL. Ev comp and flash comp also work, and this is with either the popup flash or a P-TTL external.

A member on another forum posted that a Pentax rep had told him that another firmware update would address the inability to manually input FL for SR when using non Q mount system lenses, and perhaps they'll also include some fixes for the flash system. . .

Anyway, I'm attaching some quick snaps to illustrate the magnifications with my F 50 f1.7 and the Q. I use a Quarter because it's 24.16mm across, and that's close enough to filling the frame of an APS-C for me (23.7mm horizontally). The first is with the lens alone at MFD, the second is with the Nikon 4T, and the third is with the DCR 250, and the fourth is with the D FA 100 Macro at MFD. These are just snaps using the popup flash, so excuse alignment and such -- also there might be slight focusing errors, but they're pretty good.

The Q will allow some pretty outrageous stuff with tele lenses once SR is enabled, but if they correct the flash bugs, macro might be it's strongest application.

Scott
Attached Images

Last edited by snostorm; Nov 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:49 PM   #4

That is really impressive magnification. Excellent quality - when they come down in price I could easily be talked into one with magnification like that!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote