Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:05 PM   #1

Default Finally Pulled the Trigger

While I ruled out the Pentax Q at its original price point, I have been watching carefully as the basic kit price has dropped dramatically in recent months. Then, I attended a Pentax event in New York a couple of weeks ago where I handled the Q and was mightily impressed. What fun and what a feeling of quality! No polycarbonate or even aluminum here - the body is all magnesium. Certainly the Q is not a K-5 or K-30 but it handles well and the image quality is much better than anyone believed a 1/2.3 sensor could give you only two years ago. And the lens is sharp.

So, when Crutchfield offered a Q with 49mm f/1.9 prime for $399 and tossed in a free soft-leather Pentax cover and free shipping, I finally pulled the trigger. It should arrive by this weekend - and of course, I have to work!

A second-generation Q may or may not be right around the corner, but I suspect I will enjoy the first-generation model as my daily carry-around camera. If it works out, I may add the zoom and OVF later.

P.S. I also fell in love with the Ricoh GXR at that same Pentax event. But that's in an entirely different price class and will have to wait.

Last edited by Biro; Aug 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2

So...how's your new Q working out ?

I like the idea of a small quality camera as a daily carry around. Before I retired, in the film days, I used to carry around either my old Leica 11F rangefinder with it's collapsible 50 mm F 3.5 Elmar lens or my Olympus Clamshell 35mm.

I would put either one in my briefcase and always be ready if a phto opportunity happened.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:36 PM   #3

Gadzooks, Les, I have totally overlooked this message for two months! The Q is fine. I find its output is totally fine for casual use as a "daily driver." IQ is better than any camera with a 1/2.3 sensor has offered up to this point, although most of the better, brand-new point-and-shoot cameras are beginning to enjoy the benefits of BSI sensors as well.

I find things are just fine at least to ISO 800 - even ISO 1600 in certain cases. But dynamic range, while improved over earlier small-sensor cameras, still isn't in 4/3 or APS-C territory. IQ is generally about what a non-BSI 1/1.7 sensor in a camera like the Panasonic LX3 or a Canon G9/10 would have offered a few years ago. And that's not bad at all. Build quality is terrific with the magnesium body. The tiny Pentax optics (I have only the 47mm f/1.9 prime) are also up to the job.

My next goal is to buy a K-mount adaptor and experiment with long K-mount lenses on a tripod. Should be great fun. I still need to update the firmware, which will give me focus peaking. Nice to know Pentax is still improving the original camera this way. Should you buy an original Pentax Q? If the price is under $400, I say yes, you can't go wrong. Just remember it's still a compact - even if a very good one.

Last edited by Biro; Nov 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:09 PM   #4

I got my Q yesterday and found the IQ is exactly as Biro described, my S100 with 1/1.7 sensor 12 mp Cmos sensor is slightly better only at 100% pixel peeping. I did up date firmware and focus peaking really helps for manual focus. I got mine from Amazon for $313 w/shipping. My luck to today with long K mount lenses was not too so good. I couldn't see the LCD out in the sun, partly because I hadn't set it to it's brightest, and I use photo-gray glasses and they were dark, also I left my LCD hood loop home. All my fault, LCD is now set. I started with my Super Tak 200 and that is tough to hand hold. I think I will get used to things with my 135 first then move up.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Gadzooks, Les, I have totally overlooked this message for two months! The Q is fine. I find its output is totally fine for casual use as a "daily driver." IQ is better than any camera with a 1/2.3 sensor has offered up to this point, although most of the better, brand-new point-and-shoot cameras are beginning to enjoy the benefits of BSI sensors as well.

I find things are just fine at least to ISO 800 - even ISO 1600 in certain cases. But dynamic range, while improved over earlier small-sensor cameras, still isn't in 4/3 or APS-C territory. IQ is generally about what a non-BSI 1/1.7 sensor in a camera like the Panasonic LX3 or a Canon G9/10 would have offered a few years ago. And that's not bad at all. Build quality is terrific with the magnesium body. The tiny Pentax optics (I have only the 47mm f/1.9 prime) are also up to the job.

My next goal is to buy a K-mount adaptor and experiment with long K-mount lenses on a tripod. Should be great fun. I still need to update the firmware, which will give me focus peaking. Nice to know Pentax is still improving the original camera this way. Should you buy an original Pentax Q? If the price is under $400, I say yes, you can't go wrong. Just remember it's still a compact - even if a very good one.
Thanks Biro for the info. One of my goals in life is to find a small camera with equally small lenses that can produce photo's to the same standard of my ASP-C DSLR's.

This 'want' of mine goes back to the film days when I had an Olympus clam shell and Leica Rangefinder (11f) which I would carry around (one at a time ) in my briefcase or my inside suit pocket.

The Q sounds like it's getting closer...I'm also impressed with the tiny lenses....I recall looking at some when they first came out....jewel like was the descriptor that popped into my mind.

Thanks for reviewing your experience and let us know how it does with the K mount adapter and long telephoto Pentax lenses. I can't remember but I think I read somewhere that for example a 200 mm (35mm equivalent) on a Q sized sensor would provide much more than 200 mm focal length on the Q....I just can't remember what the number would be.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:54 PM   #6

A 200mm equivalent lens would act like 1000mm lens or even longer. A 300mm lens would act like a 1500mm lens. This is why I'm eager to give the adaptor a try.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 5:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
A 200mm equivalent lens would act like 1000mm lens or even longer. A 300mm lens would act like a 1500mm lens. This is why I'm eager to give the adaptor a try.
1500 mm -35 mm equivalent...we're talking spy equipment ! That will be veru interesting to see how it works.