Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:50 PM   #1

Default Focus Peaking and SR for adapted lenses for Q

Hi All,

Just thought I'd update this forum, though it seems to be little used.

Pentax, with firmware update v1.1 has added Focus Peaking to the original Q. The Q also now has stabilization for adapted lenses with any lens adapter. The user may enter any actual FL (from 0 to 9999.9), and the camera will do the crop factor conversion. The last eight values entered are also recorded, and one can choose one of these quickly with the e-dial.

The firmware update does return the whole camera to default settings, including language and time/date, but IMO, this is a very small price to pay for the updated features.

P-TTL flash (both popup and external) now seems to work with adapted lenses. Previously, I had to set up the flash menu to slow speed sync or red eye reduction to get it to fire, and it would only work some of the time. Now it works in the flash "On" position, and seems to fire every time. It is assumed that with the Pentax OEM K to Q adapter with the integral shutter, that flash sync will be available up to 1/250 with external and up to 1/1000 with the popup.

Manual flash does not work with adapted lenses, but does fire with Q system lenses when the flash (Off) is chosen in the flash menu.

Auto ISO has also been made available in "M" mode, so we essentially have TAV mode on the Q now. . .

This is a very impressive firmware update IMO.

This seems to show that Ricoh is at least amenable to updating features in older models -- a very good sign for Pentaxians.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:06 AM   #2

It will be interesting to see if they also add features to the DSLR's, focus peeking would be nice on my Kr

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:24 PM   #3

How much does focus peaking add to the Q? I keep hearing about it but have yet to see it in action. While it sounds great, I wonder just how much of an effect/benefit it really is, compared to focusing with traditional means.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
How much does focus peaking add to the Q? I keep hearing about it but have yet to see it in action. While it sounds great, I wonder just how much of an effect/benefit it really is, compared to focusing with traditional means.
I found this video on you tube that shows focus peaking

Hans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trNyS0YXO_A

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote