Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:26 PM   #1

Default Small light for a small camera

I just acquired a Manfrotto ML 120 Pocket LED Light (not a flash), and have found it to be an ideal lightweight small light for the Q. First impressions are that it covers the field of the 03 wide angle lens and is tall enough that it does not throw a shadow with either of the zooms. It would best as a fill light or as a main light for closeups. It is inexpensive, as it can be found from a few sellers on the internet for less than $40.

This photo was taken hand held with another Q body and the O2 standard Zoom in existing light indoors and sharpened and cropped slightly in PSE. There were good deals around on the Q when it was discontinued for the Q10.

Name:  IMGP0027rs.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  70.2 KB
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2013, 9:14 PM   #2

A cool picture of the LED light, I've thought of something like that. Impressive picture with the zoom lens also - what light source did you use for the picture?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 1:43 PM   #3

Harriet, I did it in a light tent against a black background with one flood light on either side of the tent angled ahead of the subject. The camera sits on a lucite stand.

NOTE: This is incorrect - see the post below.

Last edited by penolta; May 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:15 PM   #4

The light tent really works well, I was impressed by the picture.

While I thought I wanted a white Q with the 01 lens, I ended up getting a black one with the 02 zoom at Best Buy. I've wanted one for a while but couldn't talk myself into spending the money before. But if I were to buy a compact point and shoot I would spend about the same amount ($220), so I pulled the trigger. I could have bought it at Newegg for a little less, but decided that I could use the Best Buy points. I hope to see it next week, it's being shipped ground (sigh!). Looking at your picture though convinces me that the 02 zoom is nothing to turn up my nose at, and I think for my purposes the zoom makes the most sense. Now to decide on a small case and how I want to carry it (wrist strap? I usually prefer to have my hands free, but a wrist strap makes sense). I should have paid for expedited shipping, now that I finally decided to pull the trigger, I want it now, not a week from now. Just hope I like it.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:46 PM   #5

mea culpa - I should have read my own first post above before answering your question. I had been taking pictures in the light tent more recently and forgotten the details of this one, which was one of a few hand held table top quickies on my work table. The background is the matte screen of my second monitor (turned off at the time). The only lights were the florescent ceiling lights of my workroom. Given the conditions, the picture impressed me too!

Last edited by penolta; May 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM.
Old May 19, 2013, 9:38 PM   #6

Cool idea for a background - never thought of using a turned off monitor for a black background. I love it, I'll have to keep that in mind when I want black, but i can see you'd have to be careful with the lighting.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:34 PM   #7

How is the light working out? I'd love to see some pictures of it in action. <grin>

Also . . . I notice that you have the fish-eye lens. What are your thoughts on it? I'm wondering if that might be the next lens I get.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 5:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
How is the light working out? I'd love to see some pictures of it in action. <grin>

Also . . . I notice that you have the fish-eye lens. What are your thoughts on it? I'm wondering if that might be the next lens I get.
The lens is not a true circular fisheye - really almost an 18mm equivalent ultra wide angle (there is a 5.5X correction factor for the Q's small sensor, versus the 1.5X for the APSC of nonFF Pentaxes). There is the expected curvature at the edges (since it is not a rectilinear wide angle) which can be controlled in post processing. As with any ultra wide keep it level with the horizon to minimize the effects.

The light works out fine for what it is; it has limited range, as you might expect, so it is no substitute for a flash, but it is much more compact and perfect for fill light or close-ups. The camera is so small that a bulky flash defeats the purpose of the camera, although I already had an AF200FG that I can use for contingencies.