Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old May 23, 2013, 9:57 PM   #11

And now the wait begins (the battery is charging).

I knew it was small, and I wanted a camera that was the size of a point and shoot. But somehow it looks smaller than what I thought it would be, I don't know why.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 10:41 PM   #12

People complain about battery drain, so you will want extra batteries. The OEM battery life is short - the Pentax Li68 batteries have only 940 MAHrs. You can use Fuji NP-50 or other compatible batteries which have 1400 MAHrs - half again as much capacity.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 11:54 PM   #13

I had heard that the Q went through batteries quickly, so (while knowing nothing about what they might need) bought a pack of 3 generic batteries for $5.00 on Amazon. I figured if they don't work out, I have nothing really invested in them. They probably won't last all that long, the package says they are only 740 mAh. But they will do for now, I have the first generic charging now. Later on I can look around for better batteries.

My first reaction to the Q is that it is just so CUTE! And the 02 zoom isn't bad at all (based on the three shots I've taken tonight). I tried it out with the original firmware, to make sure the camera works, then updated the firmware for both the lens and the camera.

I need to stay off of the Q part of PF. They are a dangerous bunch, indeed. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't find a cheap package with the 01 lens, and when looking around after I had bought the camera, I discovered that lovely-looking leather case that works with the 01 lens, and I sighed. Today I saw someone posted a note that Home Shopping Network had the Q with the 01 lens AND the leather case for not much more than what I paid for the Best Buy one. I told myself that I would not buy one, I already had one waiting for me at the house. Granted, I couldn't buy the 01 lens by itself new, I was going to have to wait until someone decided to sell theirs. And I'd have no trouble finding a nice case at Bel Air Camera, my local camera store. So I took a walk over to the store to check out cases, just to get out of the office. I firmly told myself that what I should do is play with what I have and buy the K to Q adapter next. I walked back to my office, ready to go back to work and ignore the fact that it might be a while before I could find an 01 lens. Then I ordered the camera. Sigh! They are such a corrupting bunch! But actually, when I think about what I would spend to buy the case and the lens, it wouldn't be much different than what I spent so I just got a camera thrown in. And it would be nice to have the extra battery charger, wouldn't it? All right, justification, I know.

I can't believe I did that, especially because I ordered it before I even saw the camera. And I'm not so sure I have any need for a second one, really. But they are just SO darn cute, why not? And yes, I can see why many will scoff at them, they are so small they do look like a toy. But it's so cute! I give up, I'm hopeless.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 12:10 AM   #14

Oh, Oh. You're hooked.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 9:00 AM   #15

Yeah Mtngal! You got your Q.

Funny story on getting the 01 lens! But with the case, its a good deal! Lens + case + oem battery + back-up charger that you can leave at your office "and" a back-up body.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the camera after you had some time to play with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Oh, Oh. You're hooked.

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote