Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:24 PM   #1

Default I got a Pentax Q.

I got a Pentax Q.

Got it for a really good price. A price that apparently I could not refuse.

Just the Pentax Q and the 8.5mm f1.8 lens.

In my mind <grin> I justified it by thinking that I'm really not learning anything in photography. So this little guy I keep in my coat pocket to play with when I got a moment here or there.

What's everyone up to with theirs?

Let's see some pictures!

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:40 PM   #2

Congrats. You'll love it. If it came with firmware v. 1.0 or 1.01, preloaded be sure to update it to v. 1.12. I still have to do mine.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 3:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Congrats. You'll love it. If it came with firmware v. 1.0 or 1.01, preloaded be sure to update it to v. 1.12. I still have to do mine.
Thanks!

I've only played with it a bit. Just a few minutes here. A few minutes there. Whenever I had time to pull it out of my pocket. But already seeing that this is one seriously fun camera.

Yeah. It was V1.00 so I updated to V1.12. I didn't really have a chance to play with it much at V1.00 so I won't know if the AF is faster with the upgrade. But just playing around with it a bit, the AF does seem really fast to me.

Glen
Old May 18, 2013, 10:07 PM   #4

Glen, now that you've had the Q for a couple of weeks, what do you think about it? I really want a camera that I can keep in my purse (my current purse is too small for the K5, even with a small lens). It would be used for quick snaps mostly, I think.

Did you get the Q to K adapter? I'm tempted by that also, but want to see what I can make of the camera first before spending more money.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 9:32 AM   #5

Mtngal

I see in another post you pulled the trigger on a Pentax Q w 02 lens. Congrats!

I've been having way more fun with my Pentax Q than I thought I would. And I thought I was going to have loads of fun with it to begin with!

I got mine with the 01 lens because that was what was available. But I knew I'd want that lens anyways, so it was probably as good a place to start as any.

I didn't get the Q to K adapter yet. But I'm already thinking of using my Pentax-A 70-200mm f4 and Pentax-A 100mm f4 macro on this camera. That would be pretty cool!

I did get a 40.5mm to 49mm filter ring adapter to use some 49mm filters that I've never gotten around to learning to use, along with the Cokin filters my sister gave me.

And . . . I've put my Vivitar 285HV and cheap wireless flash trigger aside to play with the Q as well since it has the hot shoe.

I've been trying to use the Q to take snaps! Basically trying to learn stuff I've never gotten around to learning and stuff I have yet to learn and stuff like that. I started up a series on my Flickr feed called [email protected] to force myself to take pictures that are different than what I normally do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7633263501827/

Let me know your thoughts on the Q!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Q!
Old May 20, 2013, 11:58 AM   #6

Tacticdesigns - nice series - were you shooting first in RAW or directly in jpg?
Old May 21, 2013, 12:00 AM   #7

I love the first one of your series! But all of them are really cool, but then you've always been able to take good pictures.

I've been seriously thinking of getting the cactus transceivers for flash - I find flash very frustrating and thought that I might use it more if I weren't dependent on the optical trigger for off-camera flash (not great for flowers outside where there can be too much light for the camera and flash to communicate). I almost bought a set a month or two ago but Adorama was out of stock. Now I've bought the Q, figure that next month I might buy the adapter but since it will cost more than what I paid for the camera, I might want to wait before getting the flash trigger. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and funds are somewhat limited.

I really love the idea of the series - the one thing I took away from trying the 365 project is that the more you practice, the more likely you'll keep your skills. I've already seen where I'm rusty compared to where I was in March, at the end of my attempt at 365. Keep us updated about your series, I'm looking forward to it.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:32 PM   #8

penolta:

I'm shooting JPG and then using whatever in-camera editing is available and then posting directly to Flickr with no computer editing. The series is just for practice, so I thought I'd keep it simple.

Have you been shooting RAW? What are your thoughts?

mtngal:

Thanks for the comments on my series! Much appreciated!

RE: triggers . . . I'm just going cheap. The one I put aside for the Q is one I picked up for $20 a while back. I've had to open it up and solder the battery contacts a few times to keep them going, but its fine for practicing. I did pick up some last year for $30 ( something like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shutter-Relea...300a306&_uhb=1 ), but haven't really played with these ones yet.

Neither do TTL, so flash settings are all manual, but I figure it forces me to slow down and think about what I'm doing.

The $20 set doesn't work directly with my Pentax AF540FGZ as it triggers the flash through a cord, but the $30 might as there is a hot-shoe on the flash side. I'll have to try it out to see if that combo works . . .

I wasn't around much last year, but I saw you were doing a 365. I really like your eye! And the comments were really nice to see how you approached photography. I loved it!

Looking forward to see what you do with your Q! Is today the big day? <grin>
Old May 21, 2013, 5:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
penolta:

I'm shooting JPG and then using whatever in-camera editing is available and then posting directly to Flickr with no computer editing. The series is just for practice, so I thought I'd keep it simple.

Have you been shooting RAW? What are your thoughts?
No. jpgs alone serve my purposes. Many Q users, however, seem to think it is necessary, since the small sensors are so limiting. It depends on what you intend to do with your images.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:20 AM   #10

Mine is supposed to be delivered Thursday, and while it was shipped UPS Ground, it's supposedly on-time. I really hope that's true, the UPS tracking shows a Monday 7 AM departure from their facility in Oklahoma City. FedEx is showing possible delays due to the tornados (I had ordered a RAID box from MacMall that was shipped Monday from Illinois and I'm going to take a day off to sign for it, wanted to make sure it was in California already). I really hope that the UPS truck the camera is on wasn't delayed or caught up in the weather. I'll be on pins and needles until tomorrow evening, hoping I'll see it logged into a regional sorting facility in California.