Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old May 24, 2013, 11:10 PM   #1

Default First Shots

I'm going to have to play around with the Q to really get the most out of it. And I'm going to continue to shoot raw+ for a while. I use Lightroom for picture organizing, so it really doesn't matter to me whether I shoot raw or jpg. I haven't really messed with the various settings you can make with the camera - the variety is daunting. I think lens correction is turned on by default - at least looking at the raw and jpg differences that's how it appears.

Here's one I rather liked: (Q with 02 zoom)

Perhaps others elsewhere have remarked on the lens correction for this lens and how they differ from the raw. For anyone here who's interested, I thought this was an interesting comparison. The pictures are uncropped and other than using LR to correct the white balance (which was slightly different between jpg bright and raw), they are only resized (no sharpening).

Jpg with the in-camera lens adjustment (I assume):

Here is the raw version, without any lens adjustment:

Finally, Lightroom has the ability of doing lens corrections, based on either profiles the user can create or by ones that the manufacturer provides. I was somewhat surprised to see that the Q-02 combination was already in LR. Here's what I got using this lens profile:

I don't know if the differences will be as noticeable as they were when I was "flipping" through them, but I thought it was rather significant. For the most part I wasn't crazy about the in-camera adjustment, thinking that LR's profile did a better job (most noticeable when looking at the coffee cup in the foreground).

If you want to go to the zenfolio album to flip through them, they start here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p506144750/e631c2d72 .
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2013, 6:18 AM   #2

Qool!

Love that 1st one!

I can see the RAW & LR colour balance makes the paper whiter.

And the 2nd one, the bottom left corner . . . so less / no distortion correction?

I guess anything more and you'd have to look a lot closer.

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 6:00 PM   #3

I noticed the difference mostly with the mug, at the top. I find the in-camera correction tends to over-compensate for barreling due to the wide angle, so things near the corners tend to look stretched out of shape somewhat. I don't particularly notice the barreling with the raw file, but it is there slightly. The LR profile corrected it without making things look odd/out of proportion. The differences are more obvious when you flip through them, instead of seeing them in-line.

I had to adjust the white balance on all of them, the type of fluorescent lights in the office are different than most, I should have set a custom white balance to compensate.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:40 PM   #4

I posted elsewhere that I had fallen under the bad influence of the Q folks over at PF. Someone posted a link to a price for the Q with the 01 prime and the leather case through HSN. It was a bit more than what I paid for the kit with the 02 zoom, so impulsively I ordered one (I had really wanted the 01 and I thought the leather case nice looking). After all, the cost was less than the 02 zoom itself, so I figured I just got a free camera. The next day I thought I was nuts and resolved to sell the second camera unopened.

It arrived today. When I saw the box I decided to just take a quick look at the case. Very cute! Then I thought it wouldn't hurt just to open the box and make sure that everything was in the box. That 01 lens is definitely smaller, looks nice. Don't suppose it would hurt anything to put it on the old camera, just to see if it is better than the zoom. Took a couple of photos, put the case on the old camera and then gave up and unpacked the new camera. So much for my good intentions. I'll try to get some time tomorrow and post a couple of pictures, I was having too much fun taking pictures to process any tonight.