Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1

Default Can't have too much fun

I've been having fun with the Q, it's so fun I'm going out every day and playing around. If this keeps up, I might do a full 365 project without even working at it (probably not though).

Today I got two new toys to go with the Q camera. Here's one of them, the 06 zoom. It's a telephoto f2.8 constant zoom and I was impressed with it (though I didn't test it all that much). It's the biggest of the Q lenses I have, but it's still not very big.

Yes, that is a real SD card, not photoshopped and not an enlarged model of one.

My trio of Q lenses:

All right, that photo isn't the best, but it's hand-held and manually focused. The framing isn't the greatest, but I didn't have time to take another.

The 06 lens does pretty well:

I have yet to get used to focusing by the LCD screen, especially outside without some shade. Unexpected things creep into my photos:

If you looked at the exif for the picture of the 3 Q lenses, you'll notice that it was taken with a Q camera and my second new arrival today:

I always thought of the FA77 Ltd as being a small lens and one with a focal length that was easy to hand-hold. But as you can see, it looks huge on the Q and next to the Q native lenses. And it's much harder to hand-hold indoors as the photo of the 3 lenses show.

Going back to the 06 lens, it really does a nice job. However, it is going to take me some practice to get used to it, and to remember that it is really a long lens (and make my settings based on that). Here was my subject - a water bottle with not much water in it, and drops that had condensed on the inside wall of the bottle.

Once I put on the K to Q adapter, I looked up how to turn on focus peaking, to see if it would make manual focusing with K lenses easier than without using it. I'm somewhat torn, can't decide if I like it or not. In any case, I put the Viv 105 macro lens on the Q for this shot:

I adjusted things, moved a bit closer. Here's the set-up:

How the picture came out:

I now know why I got the reaction I did when I asked if anyone had tried to use the DA300 and 1.7 AFA (why would you?). I took some pictures with the adapter and the DA300 and struggled with the focusing. It goes in and out of focus so quickly that I missed more often than not. I did manage this one - I was probably 25 feet away from this grape leaf. I know it isn't the greatest, I was using the white post for a focus point (it wasn't moving unlike the leaves) so it's a dreadful picture. But it convinced me that with practice, I probably could manage to use the DA300 on the Q (as long as it's on a tripod and using 2 sec. lock-up or a remote).

I will also try to do some real macro, instead of the close-ups I did tonight.

While the 01 and 02 lenses are relaxing, fun lenses (they seem to be forgiving), when you go longer with either the 06 or an adapted K lens, it takes more effort to not make mistakes. It's still lots of fun.

Now that I've been shooting the Q for more than a week, I've gotten used to the light weight and small size. I was surprised how heavy the Q, adapter and 77 Ltd. felt. Based on that, I'll probably carry the three Q native lenses far more than the adapter and K lenses. I also need to look out for another camera bag, one that can carry two Q, the 06 lens and extra batteries. Maybe one that will fit the adapter and 35 macro (which I haven't used yet). The 105 really requires a tripod and then the only bag I have that comfortably works with a tripod is the gigantic 3N1-30.

And I said I wasn't going to buy anything more at all!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:45 AM   #2

Mtngal,

Congrats on the 06 lens! Being f2.8 constant, that looks like one fun lens! That shot of the top of the water bottle, that background looks so soft! I love it!

It's going to be a while until I can get around to getting an 02 or 06 lens. But in the meantime I'm thinking I might get a cheap K adapter to use with my old manual focus Pentax lenses. I might splurge for a Q fish eye though. (Even though I have the Pentax 10-17mm FE).

As for a camera bag, as a joke, one time you should use one of your big camera bags, hit a tourist local, stop to take a picture and pull out the small Q out of the big camera bag. That would be cute!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:08 AM   #3

Thanks for the congrats!

I did almost that yesterday - I visited Birch Aquarium and had both Q cameras along with the K5 and DA 35 macro. I had one Q in the brown leather case, the other in a small pouch on my belt and the K5 in a relatively small Tamrac bag. I'm sure I got quite a few looks when I had the tiny Q out but not the K5. And I'm sure those who watched me juggling things thought i was nuts.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
And I'm sure those who watched me juggling things thought i was nuts.
HaHa. That would have been neat to see the reaction!

I expect to see some pictures. <grin>

Had my Q out this weekend taking the girls to the big park in Burlington.

Just got through a few big projects that we've been working on, the final big thing being shooting a friend's wedding on Saturday. [First wedding. The bride knew how crazy I am with a camera, that's why she asked us. We were up front and said we had never done anything like this before. But they were ok with it. And I'm glad to say I am really, really happy with the images that we were able to capture for them.]

Anyway . . . I've been concentrating on doing as much research and learning and everything like that to not let them down that I've been so reluctant to do anything else.

So the day after the wedding, and everything turning out, my wife and I looked at each other and were thinking the same thing . . . we need a break, lets go and do absolutely nothing today.

Of course, me being me . . . I had to take a camera, but I've been shooting so much with my dSLRs I wanted a break from that too. So I just took my Q. It was so fun walking around without the weight, the burden . . . just having fun!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote