Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:53 PM   #1

Default So what does 1674mm from 4.6 ft look like?

Hi all,

. . . and the answer is -- pretty much like about 1:3 macro, which gives a subject to frame "apparent magnification" that's larger than 1:1 with an APS-C DSLR. This is confusing, so let me try to explain a little.

Actual magnification of 1:1 means that the subject is captured at the same size on the sensor, so with a Pentax APS-C sensored camera, a 23.6mm subject will fill the frame horizontally. With the Q, 1:1 would mean that a 6.17mm subject fills the frame horizontally, so the Q gives an apparent subject to frame magnification that is about 3.8x that of APS-C (6.17mm/23.6mm = 3.82x). In other words, a 1/2.3" sensor format makes a subject appear @ 3.8x larger in relation to the image frame than an APS-C sensor, given the same magnification ratio in the lens.

Given this, while shooting the Q with the DA 55-300 (which has a max magnification of @ 1:3.6 at 4.6 ft (1.4m), opportunities presented themselves where critters appeared that I wanted to shoot, but I didn't have any macro gear with me, so I just shot with what I had. . .

The results weren't great, but considering everything, I think surprisingly good. They needed some NR and quite a bit of sharpening in post.

First a honey bee from 4.6ft @ 300mm handheld, lens wide open at f5.6

Then a couple of a largish Jumping Spider (@5mm), 4.6 ft, handheld, f5.6

I also got a couple of pretty good shots of a Red Bellied Woodpecker, so I'll include them also. These are from about 35-40 feet, again handheld.

As far as the macro stuff goes, I'm going to start carrying my Raynox DCR 250 close up in a pocket when carnying the DA 55-300 on the Q. . . I could clip it on in a second and probably get much better results.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:53 PM   #2

G'day Scott

Geez mate - some of 'em are frightening...
more seriously - you've got an awesome bit of kit there & love the results
~ but I think that a monopod it going to be needed with such large magnifications

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:14 PM   #3

Impressive! You get better results than I did with the DA 55-300. But then you've always had better technique than I do for long lenses. I'm going to have to practice a whole bunch to get these types of results.

Tomorrow I'll do a thread about my weekend with the Q, it was interesting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Impressive! You get better results than I did with the DA 55-300. But then you've always had better technique than I do for long lenses. I'm going to have to practice a whole bunch to get these types of results.
Hi Harriet,

I think that one thing that most people don't notice about these shots is that they are all at pretty high ISO and all at 1/640 Tv. Many limit the ISO to close to base, but the bee was at ISO 2000, the spiders at 1250, and the WPs at 800 and 1000, probably considerably higher than most would consider using, even with a K-5.

With the Q, I shoot with in-camera NR set to Low for all ISOs and do NR with Topaz DeNoise in post. Since I shoot jpgs, I set the Custom Image settings with Sharpness at -4 to keep the noise down and do all sharpening in post with Topaz InFocus.

My default setting for my Qs is Auto ISO 125-3200 shooting Av priority. I think that the Q metering system takes the FL set in SR and incorporates this into the program line which will keep Tv faster and raise ISO before dropping shutter speed with very long lenses. There's noise, but it's relatively easy to handle without seriously degrading the details with DeNoise for me.

In any case, with the Q, I often trade off stopped-down resolution and high ISO noise for shutter speed, and this seems to work for me. . .

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Jun 10, 2013 at 4:33 AM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:26 AM   #5

Scott,

Ok. These are just spectacular!

So much detail. And that BG is just so soft! I love it!

I read, and re-read your notes! <grin> Making mental notes on when I eventually try something like this out with my Q. <grin>

Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:30 PM   #6

I might have to re-visit my ISO range - I've got it set to 125-1250. I have the K5 set to 80-10000. I've been working mostly with raw files, since I use LR as my organizer and initial processor and it doesn't make much difference to me which format I use. I don't use InFocus that much, I usually use Detail for my sharpening.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote