Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:35 AM   #1

Default Q7 rumour -- Your thoughts . . .

Ok.

Just got around to seeing the rumours of a Q7 with a bigger sensor.

My initial reaction is . . . sure . . . bigger is better!

My second thought is . . . if there is a cropped mode on the "rumoured" Q7, then all lenses can have 2 crop factors (angle of views). The 01 lens can act as normal, or a bit wider. Or if no cropped mode, just keep your Q/Q10 and swap lenses.

Anyway . . . just found the rumour interesting . . .
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Rumors seem to be factual. With a larger sensor in a Q10 body that maintains compatibility with existing lenses without vignetting, things could only be better. It seems Pentax/Ricoh had planned for accommodating this sensor this in the Q/Q10 body and larger image circle lens designs. My guess would be that they weren't ready with the new sensor when the Q10 was released. Since the larger sensor would lose a little reach the smaller sensor may still be preferable for adapted long lens work, if so, Scott might not want to dump his Qs.

And don's confuse the Q7 with the forthcoming 07 pancake pinhole-like lens.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:34 PM   #3

Significantly bigger is actually only marginally better in IQ and we would lose about 20% in reach for super tele adapted lens use. It might end up that adopting this as the sensor is not the best for future sensor upgrades as this format is not nearly as widely used as the 1/2.3" format of the original Q, so sensor mfgs will not put nearly as much R&D priority to development in this format. Don't forget that up to almost a year ago, all of the enthusiast class compacts using the 1/1.7" format were still using the same at least 4 YO 10MP CCD while the 1/2.3" format sensors were already into the second generation of BSI CMOS technology. Maybe a few million cameras (if that) are sold with the 1/1.7" format while probably over a hundred million are sold in 1/2.3", and this format is probably already slated to be an upgrade for quite a few phone/cameras, so development will likely not slow down appreciably even though compacts are losing market share to phones.

Regardless, it would probably be a good marketing move for the short term and help Pentax establish the Q system since many shooters nowadays are overly impressed by specs on paper and will assume that 1/1.7" has to be much better than 1/2.3". I still see many posts on numerous fora from those who think that this would be a worthy sensor upgrade. They are probably assuming the same kind of step up in IQ that we can see between APS-C and 36x24mm in DSLRs, but this is not the case in reality, IMO.

Personally, I would not upgrade for the sensor format change alone. If the new flagship Q (magnesium body) comes with a higher res LCD, the possibility of attaching a high quality EVF, and improves the flash protocols to bring them up to at least industry standard, then I'd consider upgrading, despite the increase in sensor size, which I would consider a downgrade as I'd lose 20% in reach with adapted lenses. Without at least two of these three, I probably wouldn't be interested.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:39 PM   #4

I quite like the Q as it is, but since noise is always an issue with me (the main reason I bought the K5), I might be interested in upgrading to the larger sensor at some time. But the differences would have to be pretty dramatic, I think I'm done upgrading because of relatively small incremental increases. Also, there's the question of weight - would a larger sensor in the same size body weigh more? That might be an issue for me, since the lightness of the camera is one of the things I love about it.

Before I bought the Q I had thought about what I might do if Pentax were to come out with a full frame camera that wasn't cost prohibitive. I would have been seriously tempted though I definitely don't feel the need for one. But now that I've been having such fun with the Q, I seriously doubt that I would get one any time soon. It's funny how all of a sudden I found myself going in a totally different direction.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:50 AM   #5

I guess . . . if it "was" the original plan to have that size sensor, then its hard to walk away until you get that sensor in there.

And as Scott mentioned . . . if the original size of the sensor seemed to be a marketing stumbling block, then upping the sensor might help with that. But as mentioned . . . not a stumbling block for the performance of the camera either way.

A sorta product tweak, sorta like the K-30 to K-50. Nothing wrong with the K-30, but maybe wanted to make it look more Canikon like. Performance wise, doesn't really matter, but for acceptance and getting more cameras out there, if it works, it was warranted.

Mtngal, either way . . . you're all set with your set of lenses now.

Anyhow . . . I think I'm going to actually take some pictures with my Q this week! <grin>
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:45 PM   #6

I'm dead - went into the local camera store that's close to my office to buy a small purse-like camera bag (it was the right size, doesn't scream "camera" - it's a girl thing). One of my favorite sales guy spotted me and said they were going to start carrying Pentax again! And they would have the Q7 when it comes out. Oh boy, will it be SO hard to resist. I looked at some of the colors shown at the Pentax website and liked the silver and black, it would go with my lenses. It was much easier to resist the Q when I couldn't see it or touch it. Good thing I've got a trip to Canada coming up around the time the camera is to come out, or else I'd be in real trouble!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:28 AM   #7

Harriet, You are doing so well with the Q you might want to hold your impulses in check until you see some reviews (and firmware updates) to see if it really makes enough difference to warrant the purchase lest you fall victim to planned obsolescence!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:06 PM   #8

Mtngal -- LOL. Yeah. Much more tempting when you can see it I guess. That silver and black one looks quite sharp! Kinda retro too!

I'm eager to see the test results of the Q 7. Perfectly happy with my Q, but having some sort of plan for what's next never hurts.

Here in Canada, Pentax was only in the high-end, speciality camera stores. Not so much the mass market stores. So I don't come across Pentax that much. But Target just moved in, and of course I had to check it out when it opened, and of course I headed straight to the camera section. And low and behold . . . I saw the Pentax WG-2 there. I think they carry the Nikon 1 series, so perhaps there's room for the Pentax Q-7 there too. That would be cool!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:17 PM   #9

Here in SoCal only one store carried Pentax and I heard they didn't have anything recently. So when Bel Air said they were going to start carrying the whole line, I was really happy. Perhaps Ricoh has realized that having a physical presence is important. If I am any indication, I always end up buying more once I've seen something.

Since I blew my budget completely out of the water last month, I'm not likely to buy anything, especially the Q7, any time soon. Maybe Christmas time my finances will have improved.