Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:48 PM   #1

Default Maybe a new Q user?

I had all the intention to shoot with my Q last night.

My wife and daughter joined our friend's team for Relay for Life - for the fight against cancer. A 12-hour relay from 7pm to 7am to raise awareness, support and funds to help the fight against cancer.

I was going to tag along with our youngest and snap shots of our friends and family. And I had it in my mind that I was only taking my Q.

But an opportunity came up to volunteer to walk around taking team pictures of all the amazing people that have come together that have had to deal with this disease. It was an honour that I immediately accepted.

So I packed up a dSLR kit to do this.

But I took my Q along for the ride, mainly to show it to one of our friends. Every so often he'll get the thought in his mind that he should get a dSLR. So I toss a dSLR in his hands and let him shoot. And then he says its so big that he just doesn't think he'll use it.

As it turned out, when I saw him last night, the first thing he said to me was that he had forgotten his camera. I grinned and pulled out the Q and handed it to him. His eyes immediately lit up.

So off he went with the Q.

After about an hour he found me and looked at me and said, "I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, but this things doesn't zoom, right." (I only have the 01 lens yet.) So I explained I hadn't gotten the zoom lens yet.

And then he was off. He carried that Q around all night long.

Every once in a while I'd see him chasing one of our kids, Q in hand.

I missed him before he took off, so I didn't get to get his impressions of what he thought of the Q.

But I looked through the pictures this morning and it looks like he had a lot of fun. He was shooting at night, kids running around, not the easiest situation for a camera. But tons of keepers.

I'll have to give him another go when I finally get the 02 zoom. <grin>
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:44 AM   #2

I was showing my Q to a friend at work, one who has a D600, and his eyes lit up. Next thing I know we are comparing Qs. They do sell themselves!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3

This is a rather common scenario. Many of the Qusers on PF got a Q, then immediately had to get another because their spouse had commandeered the first, and they couldn't get it back to play with. Compare this with the usual reaction of "you just bought what???"

Every time I'm out shooting with both my K-5IIs with FA*300/4.5 + AFA and the Q with a DA 55-300, all the questions passersby have are about the Q, and they are always shocked by the shots I show them taken with the Q.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I was showing my Q to a friend at work, one who has a D600, and his eyes lit up. Next thing I know we are comparing Qs. They do sell themselves!
LOL. I got to admit . . . reading about the Q on-line is one thing . . . but once I started playing with it, I was really impressed with it. I guess its the saying . . . seeing is believing . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
. . . Compare this with the usual reaction of "you just bought what???"
LOL. For my wife, though, I think seeing the Q was a hope to actually see me walking around without a dSLR around my neck. <grin>

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Every time I'm out shooting with both my K-5IIs with FA*300/4.5 + AFA and the Q with a DA 55-300, all the questions passersby have are about the Q, and they are always shocked by the shots I show them taken with the Q.
That's the . . . proof is in the pudding . . . thing . . . My buddy dropped by today. So I showed him the pictures he took with the camera on my laptop. His comment was . . . that thing (pointing to the Q) took those pictures. LOL.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote