Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:42 AM   #1

Default A Happy Camper -- My 02 Arrives

Ok. I'm a happy camper. The 02 lens I was able to find arrived mid-last week. Just in time to bring with me on vacation.

We'll see how it goes . . .
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:47 PM   #2

I'll be interested in what you think of it. I like mine, but it isn't as good optically as either the 01 or 06 lens. It's not shabby, just more of an ordinary zoom. I don't think it's a bad lens, don't get me wrong. It's just that the other two are special compared to it. On the other hand, the zoom range is very useful, I use mine a fair amount.

Post examples!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:28 PM   #3

Congrats!

I like mine, it gives me a competent fast wide angle lens for when I want one, and that's all I need it for. This lens (and the 01 prime) still gets knocked a bit for not being faster, but it's a kit lens. . . as is the 01 prime. A faster constant aperture normal zoom or faster prime would have added to the price (which was originally the major objection to the Q) quite significantly.

The Q is a totally new mount -- they had to sell the bodies with lenses since there were no existing lenses in the mount. I think that once the lens lineup gets rounded out a bit more, a faster normal prime and 5-15mm zoom will be offered for those who want the extra performance.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:52 PM   #4

I'm travelling through the states for a bit. Just checked into the hotel that we will be at for the bulk of our stay. So got an Internet connection again . . .

Going back . . . when I first got the 02, as I pulled it out of the box, I instantly got the impression that this lens was well built with smooth zooming and focusing. Maybe not as fast as the prime, so that stays in my camera bag, but I often find I want to be at 28mm so this things is letting me get more of the shots I usually try to grab.

First day of our trip, I did a bit of snaps here and there with it, but switched to my dSLR when we were in Washington late at night and visiting the Lincoln Monument.

But we were catching a train from Washington down to Florida, so I left my dSLR in the car and just had the Q and my Fuji XP50 to play with on the train.

At dinner, I took the Q along and grabbed this shot of my youngest as she was looking out the train window.

Looking out at the world passing by by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

[This was taken at ~7:30pm. And the sky was overcast as it was off and on raining while we left the train station, so not much light. Zoomed in a bit, but still at f3.5. ISO was set to auto and it got up to ISO 3200. Flash forced off. Handheld.]

A pretty point-and-shoot scenario. Give the camera a bad situation and hope that it sorts it out. And I'm keeping this shot, so I gotta say I'm pretty happy with how easy the Q is to carry around and be there for you. <grin>

I think tomorrow we are hitting Universal Studios (maybe) and I'm just taking the Pentax Q and my Fuji XP50.

I'll see how I feel after that. <grin>

But I got to say that now that I've played with the 02 lens, I've got an itch for the 06 now.

If Pentax came out with an f2.8 constant version of the 02 lens, I might just have to go for that. That IMHO would be a nice match up for the 06 lens. That with the 01 prime and 03 fisheye and that could be a really fun set-up.

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Jul 2, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:35 PM   #5

Very, very nice shot! I agree with you that if they were to come out with a constant f2.8 equivalent of the 02 lens I would be really tempted.

I'm really impressed with the 06 lens, it gets used a lot. But there are times when I want something wider, and the 02 is certainly a workman-like lens.

Have fun in Universal Studios with the Q. I'm planning on only taking the Qs with me when I go to Canada next month.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:07 AM   #6

It was actually Hollywood Studios instead of Universal Studios. (My wife makes the plans and I just go along for the ride. <grin>)

It went pretty good!

Saw one of the guys with the balloons walking around and thought it would be cool to shoot up through the balloons. The guy holding the balloons must of thought, what the heck is this guy doing? <grin>

Balloons! by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

Headed to Magic Kingdom today and its just going to be the Q and my Fuji XP50.

Next big vacation I'm thinking 06! <grin>

Mtngal: On your trip to Canada, post picts! I'd love to see them!

Take care, Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Jul 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:55 PM   #7

Love the shot, it came out very well. The cloudy sky worked in your favor, I think.

I don't know how many pictures I'll take in Canada since I'll be visiting family (my in-laws) and none of them are into photography (as far as I know). It's too bad that I didn't have the Q many years ago - my Brother-in-law once took us through the mill he worked for and it would have been awesome to take pictures. He's retired now, so I won't be doing that this trip. Maybe I'll try to capture rural small-town life in Canada in some way, but most likely it will be mostly family shots.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:49 PM   #8

Love the shots, wonderful mirror image and the colours in those balloons are beautiful.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:41 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments.

Here were a couple more shots I grabbed with the Q while on vacation. If memory serves me well, I'm pretty sure all were with the 02 zoom.

Cinderella's Castle Dressed in Stars by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

Busch Gardens -- What a view! by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

Sea World -- Take...Take Me Home! by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

Sorting Vacation Picts by tacticdesigns, on Flickr
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:17 PM   #10

I'm really glad the lens arrived before my vacation. I really wanted to try out the Q on my vacation.

For vacations, I really like my wide angle lenses. Great for those, "Here's where we were" shots. <grin> And since I'm usually all over the focal length range of the zoom I'm using, it was nice to have the zoom. So the 02 lens is just what the doctor ordered. <grin>

And I was able to shoot quite a bit with flash forced off letting the iso rise to 3200 on auto. Between the 02 lens and the Q's iso3200 performance, I was pretty happy, especially since I often like trying to shoot no flash to keep the natural lighting.

Most of the days I had the Q in a really small camera bag on my shoulder. One day I took out my dSLR. Big difference. As small as my dSLR set-up is, the Q is just in a different league as far as small is concerned.

I'm going to put an order through for a cheap "ever-ready" case for the Q. Hopefully I get that before my camping trip next month. That will be even lighter! <grin> Then I'll just put the 01 lens in a small pocket camera bag attached to my belt along with some spare batteries and be done with it. <grin>

But . . . I can hear that fisheye lens calling my name now. <grin>