Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:53 AM   #1

Default Out and About 2

Went out for another walk yesterday after work.

I went on pretty much the same path I did last week. Seeing if I saw anything new. But in the end it became more of playing with features in the Q that I didn't think of last week.

1) ND Filter switched in!
Went back to where I took the shot of Door#2. I shot this last week, but the sky got blown out. It wasn't until I got back to work that I remembered that the Q has a built-in ND filter that can be switched in via. the menu, so I thought I'd try that out. Under exposed 1-stop, ND filter in, and then high contrast applied after.

[email protected]:15 - untitled. by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

2) Motion Blur via ND Filter.
Last week I also tried getting some motion blur on a bright sunny day and found it difficult. But then again I had forgotten about the built-in ND filter. So I thought I'd do an attempt at motion blur. iso125, aperture f8 (max for the 01 lens?), ND filter in, let the shutter get down to 1/60 sec. Bit of high contrast applied after.

[email protected]:18 - ND Filter. by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

3) Attempt at vintage look with built-in filters
I saw Rodney9's church shots [ http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...51-church.html ] with their vintage look and thought I'd try my attempt at a vintage look with just the built-in filters on the camera. I took a normal shot. Then applied high contrast to it. Then converted to B&W. The built-in filter to convert to B&W on the Q is pretty cool. It allows you to simulate using coloured filters. I chose the blue? one. And then in the same step applied a bit of sepia. Around where I work, churches like this, which are set-up in available buildings, is more the norm.

[email protected]:19 - "divine light awakening mission" by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! Happy Shooting!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:41 PM   #2

3 great shots, we are having fun aren't we, as Harriet said this camera was made for me, I love the Q, obviously you do too.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
we are having fun aren't we
Well . . . that I am! <grin>

It looks like you are too!

Its nice to find something fun! (And its legal!!!) <grin>

Thanks for looking! Happy Shooting!

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Aug 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:02 PM   #4

A nice series. I really like how you are making such good use of the filters and special effects built into the camera. Last week I played around with the high contrast effect and really liked it. Thanks for posting your results and explaining how you got them, it sure fires up my creative impulses. Now if I just had the time to really explore them more...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:46 AM   #5

Thanks mtngal!

I'm having loads of fun with this Q so I figured I'd try to at least know most of its features. <grin>

A couple of things, like the ND filter and the simulated coloured filters I find cool because they let me play with something that I never got around to playing with before, but I can do with the Q really easily. No filters to screw into place, just a push of a button. Yeah . . . I'm lazy! <grin>

Yeah. I really like the high contrast effect. Also found the Toy Camera, Retro, B&W really cool too!

Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:26 PM   #6

The multi-exposure is nicer than what I'm used to - you can actually see the composite develop. The LCD shows both the first frames as well as the current scene to take each frame, making it easier to match what you want. I really like that feature.

You've gotten me playing around both with the filters after I've taken a picture and the smart filters. Since I like b&w and I shoot raw+ most of the time, I've got the dial in front to switch between natural, b&w and bright settings. That helps me to visualize the b&w better.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:15 AM   #7

For multi-exposure, are you talking panoramic? I don't think I've tried that yet . . .

And I had forgotten about the dial on the front. I think I might take a quick look at that . . .

I'll probably take a closer look at those over the next few days. We're off camping starting tomorrow for a few days.

Take care! Happy Shooting!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:55 AM   #8

Multi-exposure is what you get on a film camera when you forget to advance the film and you have a double exposure, two separate scenes superimposed on each other. With film it took too much figuring to get the final exposure right and I'm not real imaginative about such things. You can do the same thing now with software by changing the opacity of layers. With a dSLR you have the advantage that the camera can automatically sort out the exposure issues, but you are still guessing at how the separate frames/elements will line up. With the Q it's much easier because the LCD shows you the previous elements while you are taking the next one. In the case of the picture I posted for the time challenge, I had the camera on a gorilla pod so I wouldn't move the camera and then could watch while the traffic more or less converged on the crosswalk. I'm not that good at visualizing what is essentially a composite, but the Q made it easy to do this one. The only key with doing it in camera is that you can't let the camera go to standby or turn it off between frames.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:22 AM   #9

Qool!

I didn't know it had that feature.

I checked out your time lapse photo. Too cool! A deserving winner!

I got one idea for multi-exposure that has been rattling around my head for about 1/2 a year. Might try it with this feature. Although might resort to just taking multiple picts and pasting them together.