Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:19 PM   #1

Default New "toy"

I couldn't resist, I bought a new thing for the Q. Bet you can guess what it is if I post one or two pictures:

I had some problems with using it, it is going to take practice. There's an intermittent problem with unexpected objects/shapes that seem to appear at the outer edges if the frame:

But not all the time.

Sometimes it makes me a bit woozy.

I need to play with it some more, it's focusing ring is touchy. And the focus wasn't as forgiving as I had expected. But it is still great fun!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:41 PM   #2

Seems all things Q are FUN. You show your skill even with a tricky lens, the last two shots, especially the 2nd last are very nice.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:54 PM   #3

Hi Harriet,

Nice!! It's really hard to resist for the price, but being able to satisfy an LBA itch for ~$100 is pretty cool.

My most common mistake is finding the toes of my feet in the frame

The MF ring is touchy. Some are using rubber bands or sections cut from inner tubes to dampen the rotation a bit. PM crewl1 on PF and he'd send you one -- one tube can make a lot. . .

For me, focusing the 03 was terribly frustrating before I learned to use Focus Peaking effectively.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:43 PM   #4

Thanks! The next to last is the best picture from yesterday I thought. I did have a lower keep ratio because of the touchy focus ring, it's such a short throw. I used a rubber band today and did better. I should ask crewl1 to hang onto one tube for me, if he hasn't already given his extras away. I wouldn't be surprised if we all get together in Sept. sometime (I'm pretty tied up this month). I didn't have that much problem once I was aware how easily it moves when you are just carrying it around. If you keep it at the middle spot pretty much all the time it's likely to be fine.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:39 AM   #5

Ok . . . too cool!

Love that 2nd one and how you got the top of the pole. Really cool perspective!

And I love the shadows in the 3rd. So psychedelic!

Please post more! <grin>

Although I got the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye for my K100d . . . I've never really gotten my mind around shooting with it.

The 03 is the next lens I'm going to get. That and a cheap K to Q adapter.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:30 PM   #6

I thought long and hard about whether I should get the 03 lens. I also have the 10-17 and except for the antelope canyon pictures I took, I've never really gotten along with it. But I've had enough experience with it to have a good idea what doesn't work, so I'm doing better with the 03. Part of the fun is that you don't have to worry too much about focus as long as the focus ring is in the middle and you aren't really close (think macro distances) to your subject. I had problems at first because the focus ring can go beyond minimum focus and infinity, and it moves very easily. I'm currently using a rubber band to keep the focus pretty much in the middle, removing it if I want to focus on something much closer. Since it is a fixed aperture, that's one less thing to worry about, so it is simpler to use. Like my 10-17 it does tend to overexposed, so I usually put the camera on -.7 EV.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:21 PM   #7

Thanks for posting those pointers! That'll be the 1st thing I try when I get my 03 lens.

I'm still trying to hold off until the new year.

I just spent way too much on gear this year.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote