Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:34 PM   #1

Default Niagara or BUST

My wife and I were trying to figure out one last trip for the girls before they went back to school. We finally decided to pay a trip to Niagara. And since the girls hadn't done Maid of the Mist, Walk Behind the Falls, Niagara Fury or the White Water Walk, we decided to do that this time around.

It was really wet on most of these attractions, so I did end up using my waterproof camera quite a bit . . . but here are a few from the trip with my Q . . .

1) Niagara Falls -- from the Journey Behind the Falls look-out.

Niagara Falls by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

2) White Water Walk
This one I'm taking a picture from the Canadian side to the US side over the rapids. My wife and I noticed this bunch of people on the other side, but couldn't figure out where they came from. Not the safest looking vantage point . . . actually just up stream, the trail that they were on had collapsed. And earlier we saw them on a rock dangerously close to the rapids.

Niagara Falls - White Water Walk by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

3) Ten Thousand Buddhas Sarira Stupa
My daughter noticed a temple across the street from the White Water Walk and asked to look around.
[A little high contrast applied.]

Ten Thousand Buddhas Sarira Stupa - Niagara Falls by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

4) Ten Thousand Buddhas Sarira Stupa
One of the sculptures surrounding the temple.
[There was some distracting red behind, so I converted to B&W using the blue filter.]

Ten Thousand Buddhas Sarira Stupa - Niagara Falls by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
Happy Shooting!

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Sep 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:14 AM   #2

Nice shots, Niagara is on my list for later this year, looks like a good trip for both the Q and my K30 (weather sealed) your images make me want to speed up our trip

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:19 PM   #3

Nice series, the power of Niagara shown in your first shot and the stupidity of humans in the 2nd shot.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:43 AM   #4

Hans -- As I was walking around Niagara Falls I was thinking the K-30 or K-50 (Or any of the Pentax WR bodies) would be great to have. I saw a white K-50? out and about while there. As we were driving home, we passed by a whole bunch of other things that we didn't do yet. So much to do there.

Rodney -- I did some research and this trail is at the Whirlpool State Park. But the trail looked in real bad shape, with parts of it just being eroded away. (If I got a shot of that I'll post later.)

But when I went to look up the Whirlpool State Park, right on their page they had a warning about the state of the trail.

http://nysparks.com/newsroom/press-r...se.aspx?r=1041

"Damages include erosion and several downed trees across the trails. The saturating rains caused mud and rock slides across the trails and stairs, in some areas washing away the trails completely. While certain sections of the trails are still usable, there are also areas that may be difficult to use. Some additional areas may be impassable."
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:34 PM   #5

I love that first shot, but all of them are interesting. Having done some hiking in national parks, I know how crazy some people can be when it comes to taking risks. And some lose their lives because of their mistakes (like wading in the streams that feed Yosemite's high falls, losing their footing and getting washed over the cliff edge). I wouldn't want to get anywhere close to the river flowing over Niagara Falls, you'd stand even less of a chance of surviving. I'd sure like to return to those falls some day.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:16 AM   #6

I scanned through my pictures. Here's a picture of the group closer to the water.

They are probably not that close to the water. I guess I judge danger based on having a 5-year-old by my side. I would definitely not take my girls on that trail.

Niagara Falls - Whirlpool State Park by tacticdesigns, on Flickr

Here's a picture of the portion of the trail that was eroded away.

Niagara Falls - Whirlpool State Park by tacticdesigns, on Flickr
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:22 AM   #7

Nice pictures! We go to the falls just about every year. It is a great place to visit.
Weebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebee View Post
Nice pictures! We go to the falls just about every year. It is a great place to visit.
A great place indeed. I think we've been there every year for the past 3-4 years with the girls. Mostly to the waterpark, but this year we thought we'd venture out a bit more with the White Water Walk, Journey Behind the Falls and the Maid of the Mist. And the girls loved it. And there is still a whole lot more we haven't done there yet! Already made a list of things to try the next time we go back. <grin>
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:13 PM   #9

Not trying to steal your thread. But here's a picture I took of the cave of the winds. Talk about getting soaked!

Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:15 PM   #10

And on the maid of the mist.