Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:08 PM   #1

Default Q at the Zoo

Walked through the Detroit Zoo today with the Q and Pentax K2Q adapter with SMC F 80-200 zoom, Lots of Canons and Nikon's with big lenses, but no Pentax cameras in sight. All were shot at 200mm hand held. No tripods or monopods allowed in the zoo??
Attached Images

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:04 PM   #2

That is an awesome set!

You're killing me with what you are getting hand holding the Q with a 200mm lens. That's just amazing!

My fav has to be the eagle! The details in the eye and that soft, soft background. I love it!

How essential would you say the shutter inside the K2Q adapter? Is the shutter more helpful for slower shutter speeds or faster?

I hear you on Pentax spotting . . . I don't see that many out when I go out. But . . . when Target came to town, I was finally able to walk up and try out a Pentax WG-3 and WG-10 which were sitting right beside the Nikon AW110. Now if Pentax were to get the Q-7 into Target, along side the Nikon 1 series . . . that would be cool! <grin>

I missed the chance to go to the Smithsonian zoo this year. It was kinda on our way back home from Washington, but I couldn't convince anyone that they wanted to go and walk around the zoo for the day . . . after walking around WDW for a week.

Take care, Happy Shooting!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post

How essential would you say the shutter inside the K2Q adapter? Is the shutter more helpful for slower shutter speeds or faster?
The shutter in the adapter prevents the rolling shutter effect of the CMOS sensor (electronic shutter), if you pan a shot at any shutter speed without a shutter in the lens the background will tilt. Even at 1/2000 sec. The effect is caused by how the sensor is scanned, each line is scanned in sequence and that takes 1/13 of a sec. on the Q At a 1/1000 sec. shutter each line is exposed for 1/1000 of a second and scanned then the next line is exposed and scanned etc... That can cause what seems like a blurred image, each line is sharp but they may not lineup with the next line due to subject or camera movement. With a shutter in the lens or adapter the sensor is exposed for 1/1000 of a sec. then each line is scanned but the exposure for all lines happened at the same time rather than in sequence. SO for adapted lenses the image will in most cases look sharper with a OEM Pentax adapter. The image below was shot at 1/400 sec. with a 135 lens, you can see the tilt in the background.

Hans
Attached Images

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Sep 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
With a shutter in the lens or adapter the sensor is exposed for 1/1000 of a sec. then each line is scanned but the exposure for all lines happened at the same time rather than in sequence.
Awww . . . now I get it.

It's like that old picture . . . Jacques-Henri Lartigue's photograph of the speeding car . . .

http://cdphototech.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/70/

The film is exposed at different times, so the lag from bottom to top . . . ?
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:08 PM   #5

Awesome shots, that 2nd of the eagle is the standout, such a regal bird, you can feel his power through your shot.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:31 PM   #6

Love the eagle shots, but all are nice. I know what you mean about odd things appearing when you have the rolling shutter effect. The 03 lens doesn't have a shutter and I really noticed the effect when using faster shutter speeds, not so much with slower ones.

You get such nice pictures with adapted lenses, I've been disappointed with mine and tend to stick with native lenses most of the time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote