Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Default Q7 with SMC-M 135 f3.5

Shot with the Pentax OEM adapter and a SMC-M 135 f3.5 lens f8 seems to be the sweet spot. Shot on my Q7 all hand held. First a small blue heron, a big mouth looking at me, and a tricolored heron. All hand held, good thing it's a 650mm lens I wouldn't want to be that close to the gater

IMGP0568 by hnikesch, on Flickr

IMGP0575 by hnikesch, on Flickr

IMGP0565 by hnikesch, on Flickr

IMGP0565 by hnikesch, on Flickr

IMGP0555 by hnikesch, on Flickr

IMGP0580 by hnikesch, on Flickr

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Mar 19, 2014 at 4:33 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:33 PM   #2

These are excellent shots. How easy is it to shoot the Q with the older Pentax glass? I keep debating about getting one (very cheap at KEH) to have as with me in the car at all times camera and would consider my old Vivitar 50-150 to be maybe the perfect lens for it considering what I do. But the idea of focusing with the LCD and holding it steady puts me off a bit. Do you find it difficult or once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. I never use live view on my KX for anything other than super macro. Thanks for any and all info/advice.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:53 PM   #3

Well, to start the Q has focus peaking, it highlights the edges of things in the finder plus it has a 4X magnifier option in the lcd, that's the good stuff now the bad. The Q uses a built in electronic shutter when using adapted lenses that can blur images due to subject or camera motion regardless of shutter speed, even 1/2000 sec. Then the 5.5X crop factor changes your 150 to 825mm equiv. just finding your subject in the LCD is a challenge. But the Q is the most fun I have ever had with any camera ever. I just got the Q7 so I am selling one of my Q bodies (white) with an 02 lens with only 1600 shots on it asking $130. There are 2 types of adapters available 1. shutterless 3rd party K mount ( or any other mount) adapters for about $30 and 2. Pentax OEM adapter K mount with a built in shutter for $250. I got some good results with a 3rd party adapter but only about 10% keepers and absolutely no panning, my keeper rate with the OEM adapter is about 30% and the images are a little sharper. Check out this forum http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/

One thing that really helps with adapted lenses is an eye piece LCD hood and when using a 300mm lens 1650mm Equiv Some people also use a red dot laser scope mounted to the flash shoe to find the subject, and a tripod

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Apr 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:17 AM   #4

Thanks for all the info. It's funny because almost everyone who has one seems to agree that the Q is the most fun camera they have ever used. Maybe I do need to try one too, certainly never any harm in adding more fun to life

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:50 PM   #5

The Q is fun, and also useful when you don't want to lug around a heavy camera bag. I find it's way too easy to get the camera bag heavier than I want when carrying the K3 and a couple of lenses. I can cover the same range with native lenses and the Q for a quarter of the weight and a whole lot smaller camera bag. It does have its limitations, and I haven't used the Pentax adapter enough to get comfortable with it. However, I did use it very successfully with a tripod, macro rails and a Hoodman viewer outside shooting macro stuff. I've also used it with the DA300, but that's very difficult for me to hand-hold at any shutter speed.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote