Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:10 PM   #1

Default Q + DA 50-200 WR and 55-300 Mergansers and a Duck

Hi All,

Woke up from hibernation -- it was a rough winter. . . noticed some Red Breasted Mergansers out on the lake, and grabbed a Q with a relatively newly acquired DA 50-200 WR using an OEM adapter. I think the variations of the DA 50-200 have gotten something of a bad rap from reviewers and users, but this allowed me to grab a used one cheap, so I'm not really complaining. I expect to use this lens almost exclusively with the Qs as I don't shoot much in this FL range with my DSLRs.

Bright sunny day -- light mostly coming from the wrong direction -- subjects not cooperative -- they mostly stayed between 30-60 feet away -- they're shy. With the Q, 200mm is EQ to about 720mm FOV on my APS-C DSLRs, so close to my limit of 714mm/f6.7 using a 300/2.8 + 1.4x TC + 1.7x AFA. Of course, I lose AF, but using Focus Peaking and a Hoodman LCD Loupe, the Q + DA 50-200 + adapter weighs less than my K-3 body alone, and unlike the DSLR + 6+lb lens and TCs, it's easy for me to carry and handhold.

These were shot in jpeg ***, Natural mode, -4 Sharpness, hi ISO NR set to "Low" at all ISO. All were PP'd to taste with Topaz DeNoise and InFocus and resized to 1024 on the long side. All were shot handheld, either standing unsupported or sitting with my elbows braced on my knees.

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:37 PM   #2

One more with the DA 50-200 -- a nice restful pose from one of the many Mallards that like this area. . .

The Mergansers in this part are with the DA 55-300. After some successful fishing in the shallower water, they moved out towards the middle of the lake to digest their lunches. . .

I just picked up an HD DA 55-300 WR for a lightweight WR 300 for my DSLRs, and the Qs immediately claimed my older standard DA 55-300 as their own. I actually prefer the older lens with the Q. The zoom ring is much looser, and this helps because I spot my subjects at 50mm, then zoom in to 300, refocus, and take the shot. The looser zoom ring allows me to hold on target easier -- the FOV at 1080mm APS-C EQ is very narrow. I don't have anything that matches this reach on my DSLRs.

Again, these were handheld, sitting with elbows braced on my knees. All were PP'd to taste and downsized for posting.

These guys and other birds that I can't get close to are the main reason I originally wanted a Q.

I've gotten slightly better results with these guys in the past with a DSLR and the big glass, but it was a major effort, especially trying to follow them as they always move away whenever I got within their comfort range. With the Q, it's literally a walk in the park. . .

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:30 PM   #3

Nice Scott, both the 200 and 300 work very well with your Q, nice job

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote