Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:57 PM   #1

Default AF360 Flash Replacement?

My Pentax AF360FGZ flash has or seems to have bit the dust. I tried it a few days ago and got it to power up, but the 'ready' lite never comes on. It won't flash on the camera or depressing the test button. All other functions seem to work. Manual zoom works, changes modes from P-TTL, Auto, M, SB. The only other menu item that does not work is switching between sync modes, HSS, rear curtain, etc. It just stays in the normal sync mode.

It seems like the thyristor is not charging, if that's the correct terminology. Regardless, I'm not shelling out $300+ for another one. I think I paid around $200 for this one several years ago and was never impressed with it. On my K100, K20 and K30 it always underexposed and I had to + it up to get correct exposure. On my K5 IIs it overexposed and had to - it down.

Anyhow, enough of the problems with AF360, has anyone here tried any of these Chinese offerings, both go for about $85:
Godex TT350P Mini Thinklite. Claims to be Pentax TTL. Does that mean it is P-TTL compatible? B&H seems to say it is. GN118, USB port for future firmware updates. But it only takes 2AA batteries.
- or -
Yongnuo YN585EX, Also claims to be P-TTL but with a GN190, 4AA batteries, USB firmware port.

I wouldn't be using it as a slave or wireless, just on camera use.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with either one?
Thanks for any advice.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:34 PM   #2

G'day mate

I have used Yongnuo units for many years now ~ I have 4x of them used as both on-camera masters and off-camera fill-flash slaves. All have given me excellent service

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:50 PM   #3

Thanks Phil, yes it helps to get an endorsement from this trusted community.

In the meantime I've been doing some searching on both the Yongnuo and Godox units.
There's good reviews on each on the web sites that sell them. It appears that both a P-TTL compatible with Pentax DSLR's.

The Godox is capable of HSS (high speed sync) while the Yongnuo is not. Not an issue for me as I have never used HSS when my AF360FGZ was working.
It looks like the Yongnuo can be triggered with a compatible Pentax wireless flash while the Godox must use their XProP TTL wireless trigger control. I only used the wireless function on the AF360 a few times. At about the same price point, and for my needs, I think the Youngnuo would be my choice.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:58 PM   #4

Iím not familiar with the Gotox, but the Yonguo sounded like a reasonable alternative, and a number of people on PF were using them when I was thinking of another flash. I ended up getting Cactus triggers as I was interested in off-camera flash and then bought an old Nikon flash used. If I were going to do it over, I think I would have rather gone with the Yonguo.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I'm putting the purchase of a new flash on hold and opting for new batteries and charger. I thought I had a set of fully charged NiMH Energizers in it the other day, but either my charger isn't working or the AF360 is having intermittent failures. But I just completed charging the same energizers with a different charger, popped them in the AF360 and it's working fine.

I feel like a dummy, but happy I didn't spend money on a new flash.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:18 PM   #6

Thatís much better than buying a new flash.

Now you can use your money for something really exciting, like a new lens. Like that brand, new DFA 70-210f4 lens they just came out with. How I really want that lens! I might have ordered it already, but figured both Adorama and B&H would balk at sending it to a general delivery address. Iím trying to talk myself out of going up to see my sister next week or beginning of March and using her address, but think Iím going to lose that battle.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote