Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:42 PM   #1

Default Burrowing Owl and hawk

I went to Cibola National Wildlife Preserve two days ago. It was interesting, I took lots of photos but have only gone through some of them. I had never seen a burrowing owl before, and they have some pipes stuck in the ground for them. The locations are marked and a couple of birds were out keeping an eye on things.

There was this bird soaring above.

Iím not much up on hawks, so am not sure what kind it is.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:14 PM   #2

G'day Harriet

Two fine images here- I don't know whether Oz has anything like your burrowing hawk, but your shot of it is more than okay.
As to #2 - BIF are always hard to get with the long lens needed, so your image is very similar to many of mine ... 'a good pic of a bird way up in the sky'

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:19 PM   #3

Iím wondering what the hawk is - I thought it was a red tailed hawk but usually the ones I see have enough red on their tail that you can tell. This birdís tail has very little red, which got me thinking I was wrong (bird identification isnít my strong suit). I agree, itís a reasonable photo but not all that good. Nice but I would have needed a 600mm lens or something like that to make it good. I liked how the sun lit up the edges of his feathers on his wings.

While you might not have burrowing owls, Iíve always thought you had far more interesting and beautiful birds and wildlife. Burrowing owls are small and cute, but rather bland when it comes to coloring.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:17 PM   #4

We tried to take the 3 hour drive to a field in NS where eagles feed but the weather sent us back, white-outs and a closed highway.

Olympus E-P5, OM-D E-M1(X2): 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
We tried to take the 3 hour drive to a field in NS where eagles feed but the weather sent us back, white-outs and a closed highway.
Maybe I shouldnít mention that it was a bit chilly today, cooler than yesterday here in the Arizona desert - high was only something like 64F. Yesterday it was 70F. The nights are cold - been in the mid 30s F for the past two weeks...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:32 AM   #6

I am still looking for one of those little owl's, nice captures

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DA PLM 55-300, DA 18-135, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:48 AM   #7

Hans, you just need to leave all that cold and snow in Michigan behind you for a while and visit the Arizona desert and the Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, thatís the easy way. Iíve never seen one before either.

I donít think I had seen a Sandhill Crane before, and there were a lot of them in an alfalfa field on the preserve. I havenít processed the pictures I took of them - they were at a long distance, lighting was wrong and I wasnít thrilled with any of them on my first review. But it was still very cool to see that many all at once.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:51 AM   #8

I am currently in Florida basking in the sun for the winter, I know there are some of those owls down here but I haven't found them yet

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DA PLM 55-300, DA 18-135, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:06 PM   #9

Florida is good! I have a hitch-hiker from Florida with me. Iíll start a new thread about it.