Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   Cardinals Cropped. (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/cardinals-cropped-122757/)

bigdawg May 29, 2007 9:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First the cropped version and then the original. Which do you prefer?

No. 1

bigdawg May 29, 2007 9:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The original.

No. 2

bigdawg May 29, 2007 9:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A cardinal and a friend...First the cropped version.

No. 1

bigdawg May 29, 2007 9:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the original.

No. 2

snostorm May 29, 2007 10:54 PM

Hi bigdawg,

I like the crops better, but would have done it differently. In the originals, the birds are too small to really be the subject IMO.

In the first, I would have cropped in landscape orientation, as you did, but would have placed the cardinal to the left and down, using, at least to some extent, the "rule of thirds". On the second, I would have cropped to portrait orientation, straightened the feeder in the frame, then placed the cardinal's tail in the lower right corner of the frame.

I've found that the "rule of thirds" is nice to keep in mind for most bird shots, and I almost always follow the "rule" that the bird or animal should faced to appear to be looking into the frame, rather than at a border. No "rule" is sacrosanct tho, and I try a lot of different crops on some shots.

Scott

Black Knight May 29, 2007 11:05 PM

Cropped version here.

bigdawg May 30, 2007 12:05 AM

snostorm wrote:
Quote:

Hi bigdawg,

I like the crops better, but would have done it differently. In the originals, the birds are too small to really be the subject IMO.

In the first, I would have cropped in landscape orientation, as you did, but would have placed the cardinal to the left and down, using, at least to some extent, the "rule of thirds". On the second, I would have cropped to portrait orientation, straightened the feeder in the frame, then placed the cardinal's tail in the lower right corner of the frame.

I've found that the "rule of thirds" is nice to keep in mind for most bird shots, and I almost always follow the "rule" that the bird or animal should faced to appear to be looking into the frame, rather than at a border. No "rule" is sacrosanct tho, and I try a lot of different crops on some shots.

Scott
Thanks for the input Scott.

Dawg

bigdawg May 30, 2007 12:05 AM

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:

Cropped version here.
Thanks and I agree...One reason I did the crop.

Dawg

xfxgeforced May 30, 2007 12:31 AM

the third picture caught my eye, nice colors and just looks cool, but you could make it even better by rotating it to make that bird feeder level. Just my opinion, but good shots all together!

*I keep looking at it, and I cant make up my mind if itd be better as is, or leveled out :-\ either way i like it!

mtngal May 30, 2007 12:34 AM

Interesting discussion. I agree with Scott about cropping being the right thing - especially in the second one there's nothing else interesting, and the pole the feeder is mounted on is distracting to me. Not sure I would crop the first one the way he suggested, but that's probably because I take more flowers than anything else (for the most part, cropping as close to the flower as possible is better than leaving much OOF background just to get the flower on the third line). Since Scott's the expert on birds, listen to him, not me!