Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   Just got my SP 300/2.8 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/just-got-my-sp-300-2-8-a-127812/)

robar Aug 20, 2007 12:56 PM

this tamron is huge. not as big as thr 500/4.5 but almost as heavy. just went out and shot 17 shots and not a blemish , flare, rainbow in any of them. i think i may have gotten the deal of the century. guess it's time to stop being self confined.

pix to follow..

roy

robar Aug 20, 2007 1:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this lens has a couple of internal chips on the edge of 2 lenses. i took a chance but i'm sure it paid off. the rest of the lens is immaculate. just wish it had come with the matched converters... roy's a happy camper. here's 3 shots,f2.8,8,11

robar Aug 20, 2007 1:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

robar Aug 20, 2007 1:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

robar Aug 20, 2007 1:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
100% center crop, PPed, from about 80yards, meters, f2.8

robar Aug 20, 2007 1:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3 different 300mm
left is the tamron 300/2.8
middle front is a pentax A*300/4
rt. rear is a pentax M42 300/4

snostorm Aug 20, 2007 2:24 PM

Hi Roy,

Congrats! A deal of the century candidate for sure. I was wondering how this would turn out after your first post, and it looks good.

I also take some chances in bidding low on "not perfect" high end lenses, and so far -- so good. I think that the great majority of people want only E+ lenses, and don't want to take a chance on anything less. . . but the real deals are in the less than perfect ones -- where the faults have no real effect on IQ or useabilitly.

The Tamron SP300/2.8 is actually about 2 lbs lighter than you 500/4.5, but is probably considerably more front heavy with the 115mm front element. If you didn't get one, you might want to look for the palm rest for this lens. It looks kinda goofy, and I just tried it because it was there -- but it really positions your left hand perfectly to focus this lens if your trying to handhold it.

Scott

robar Aug 20, 2007 2:53 PM

scott,
i've been out playing and focusing is a real trip. fortunately it's got a short throw on the ring, which is also bad. i've shot some with the hood on quite close to the sun. NO FLARE!!.. glass is perfect except for a couple small chips on the edge. so far i have found absolutely nothing wrong with this lens.. what's a new one cost?? if you have to ask.......

how do you get the pka adapter in AE or f32??? i haven't figured that out yet. i know this is going to get some HEAVY use. manual Ev is right on the money.. so far for $200 this is the deal of the century. guess one of the other 300s is going. just can't think of which.. so far, i'm a real happy camper. you're right about taking chances, this one could have expensive.. i know why you like this now..

roy

robar Aug 20, 2007 2:53 PM

oh, do you have a link for the palm rest??

roy

bilybianca Aug 20, 2007 3:13 PM

Looks like one stop take it's toll in size and weight.

Kjell

robar Aug 20, 2007 3:34 PM

kjell,
i'm really ramped up about this lens. wish it cooler outside. i'm just now finally getting better after 2 weeks of pneumonia and the heat is definately a no no right now..
hey , maybe i can put some Ex tubes on it and and get some inside macros.. hehe

roy

TDN Aug 20, 2007 4:21 PM

robar wrote:
Quote:

how do you get the pka adapter in AE or f32??? i haven't figured that out yet. i know this is going to get some HEAVY use. manual Ev is right on the money.. so far for $200 this is the deal of the century. guess one of the other 300s is going. just can't think of which.. so far, i'm a real happy camper. you're right about taking chances, this one could have expensive.. i know why you like this now..

roy
Congrats roy!!!

I'm glad it turned out good, that lens is a beast!

The PKA adapter can't be on f32 with Pentax, it's the only downside it has. if you really need it (i never use 32...) you can always get a regular PK adapter for those occasions...

Tom

robar Aug 20, 2007 4:31 PM

i found out how to set it. there's a a button on the side of the adapter. your right about it not stopping down to f32. i never use it but there have been a couple of shots with the 500/4.5 at iso200 that f45 was not enough. the 500/4.5 at f45 is terrible.

roy

snostorm Aug 20, 2007 4:39 PM

robar wrote:
Quote:

what's a new one cost??

how do you get the pka adapter in AE or f32???

i know why you like this now..
Hi Roy,

A new one (slightly updated version in black v 360B) MSRP is over $4K, but it usually retails for @ $2700, but the 60Bs (green ones) are so available used for under $800, it's pretty unrealistic to think in those terms.

The PK/A adapter uses f32 as the "A" position with this lens -- there's a little black button/lever on the adapter that acts as the "A" lock.

It's a monster of a lens, and probably wouldn't be worth lugging around if it wasn't so good -- even at over 3x the price you paid. . . $200 -- that's just ridiculous. . .:-)

I don't know if the palm rest is available separately -- You might try contacting Tamron directly -- I'd say it can't cost much, but you never know-- it's just a little aluminum piece that screws into the tripod mount. Another idea would be to advertise as a WTB -- I'm sure that there are some owners who always use a tripod with this lens, and don't have a use for the palm rest, but I really like it.

This is what it looks like
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1136/...00cc3fd0_o.jpg

Scott

inneyeseakay Aug 20, 2007 4:48 PM

Congrats... that is a monster of a lens! Can't wait to see some hummingbirds shot with that... ;)

robar Aug 20, 2007 5:06 PM

scott,
weird ,but i can see how that would work because from the first shot i had to come up with some way of supporting the lens and try to focus with it. thanks for the pic but could you post one with it installed or even better in your hand?? you know what a DIYer i am.

roy

snostorm Aug 20, 2007 5:36 PM

Hi Roy,

Don't know quite what you meant, but these should do
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/...228cab3b_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1239/...e68798a4_o.jpg

It is surprisingly confortable when handholding, and makes it really easy to focus. I had ignored it at first, but then tried it just to see what it was. . . and was shocked at what it did for the feel of the lens. you should be able to get a decent idea about scale from these -- then make one that fits your hand's dimensions.

Scott

edit:

BTW, I also found an ebay vendor who had a $10 screw in metal lens cap for 115mm -- looked it up, and he's not offering one anymore -- but if you can find one, it's much better than the leather one supplied.

robar Aug 20, 2007 5:55 PM

thanks scott!!
looks like a breeze with some 1/4'' aluminum stock i have laying around. thats exactly how i've focused and rested the tripod mount on my left hand. it's a little awkward tho and that should help.
also, on the focusing ring there is that small ring that has the button that screws in and out. it seems to have something to do with the focus ring but i can't figure what it's for. ??? it is nice being able to use the A setting now. i think i may have fallen in love..

roy

snostorm Aug 20, 2007 6:33 PM

Hi Roy,

It took me a little time to figure that little focus ring screw too. It allows you to set a favored focusing distance. Lets say that you set up the cam on a tripod 10 feet away from a bird bath. You focus the lens, then tighten down the set screw. You can move the focus ring in either direction to catch birds on the ground or in the trees, but there's now a detent at the 10 ft mark, and you can immediately reset it to that if you want -- another neat feature, IMO.

Another "feature" that you've obviously found is that you can set the cam/lens down on the hood, and it's very stable -- that rubber ring on the front of the hood is very convenient.

Scott

robar Aug 20, 2007 7:00 PM

ahhh,
you know something scott?? i had a feeling we were going to have this conversation.. must be ESP, hehe. that is a nice little feature, something i know i''ll use.
another question.. can you tell me the model #s of the tamron 1.4x and 2x that came with this?? do you use them??
you're also correct about the best way to store this is sitting up just like the 500/4.5.
i remember in times passed when i told someone that i never saw in my future the need for a 72mm filter. a couple of years later i have four starting at 77mm.. go figure.. this lens will get a lot of use because it is actually handholdable, if you are charles atlas.

thanks for your help,
roy

snostorm Aug 20, 2007 7:58 PM

Hi Roy,

The SP TCs are:

1.4x -- Model 140F -- I have this one, and it's excellent -- good enough that it's the one I use for stacking with the F1.7x AFA on the SP300. I'm casually looking for a deal on another one of these, but I'd probably pop for a decent deal on a Pentax A 1.4x-S or L first.

2x -- either the Model 01F or the rarer 200F. I have neither, but if find one at the right price, I might get one to play with. The only ones I've seen recently are the 01F, and they've been going for well over $100, so I passed. The 200F is better, but mostly in the area of better edge/corner sharpness. This advantage is pretty much taken away by the APS-C crop on our DSLRs, so I wouldn't be too quick to pay the premium this TC usually commands. I have an A 2x-S and a Vivitar 2x MFTC, and I rarely use either, so the SP 2x TCs are a low priority for me.

Of course, an F1.7x AFA is the perfect TC for this lens -- an AF 510mm f4.5 that makes me almost forget about even thinking about a Bigma. . . and then I can add the SP 1.4x TC and get an AF 714 f6.7. . . too cool!

Scott

robar Aug 20, 2007 8:20 PM

scott,
thanks for the info.
i've got a 1.4x-s pentax. do you think it's better than the original tamron?? i know it works well on the 500/4.5 with little to no IQ loss. guess i may try it tomorrow. got to get well first tho. i'm really pumped about this lens since i haven't found a prob in IQ yet. i have lost some sleep over it lately. well , just a little.. the rest of the lens looks almost never used. even the tripod mount shows very little use..

roy

NonEntity1 Aug 20, 2007 8:55 PM

I believe the 1.4x came as a set with this lens, I don't think the 01F was matched to anything, I believe it was the general adaptall 2x adaptor. When I got my 01F they were going for $30-$40 on ebay, are they really up to $100 now?

Tim

PS: I paid around $700 for this lens Roy. I am swearing out an affidavit against you for theft even as I type! :-)

danielchtong Aug 20, 2007 9:11 PM

robar wrote:
Quote:

3 different 300mm
left is the tamron 300/2.8
middle front is a pentax A*300/4
rt. rear is a pentax M42 300/4
Wow Roy,

I am impressed. You have hardly tested out your M42 300/4 before having this fast tele. I think it matches quite well with its TC 1.4 or 1.5x. I can only be green with envy as I cannot handle the weight. Look forward to some great tele shots

Daniel , Toronto

snostorm Aug 20, 2007 9:26 PM

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:

When I got my 01F they were going for $30-$40 on ebay, are they really up to $100 now?

Tim

PS: I paid around $700 for this lens Roy. I am swearing out an affidavit against you for theft even as I type! :-)
Hi Tim,

After a quick check, I was mistaken about this -- my normal confused state -- $30-40 is still the going rate for the 01F. . . The 140F is closer to $100, and while you can get A 2x-S TCs for under $100, the A 1.4x-S&L TCs are a lot more -- probably because they're more useable.

You are correct about the price he paid -- I paid about the same for mine -- an E+ from KEH. . . there has to be something illegal about this. . .

Scott

mtngal Aug 20, 2007 10:07 PM

Well, if anything can get you feeling better, something like this should really do the trick! I can't decide if I'm envious or think you've lost your mind - I can't imagine trying to use a lens that big (just carrying it would do me in!). On the other hand, a year ago I thought I'd never own a 300mm lens because I wasn't steady enough, and I love my A*300.

Kjell - I think you are right about Roy's A*300. Being wiped with a brick is a pretty apt description of what the front element looked like in that picture he posted. On the other hand, he's also posted numerous excellent pictures taken with it.

robar Aug 21, 2007 7:03 AM

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:

I believe the 1.4x came as a set with this lens, I don't think the 01F was matched to anything, I believe it was the general adaptall 2x adaptor. When I got my 01F they were going for $30-$40 on ebay, are they really up to $100 now?

Tim

please don't do that deputy dawg!!
one thing i don't need is the FBI making a house call..
this was a legit international deal!!

actually, it did come from Singapore..

roy

Dal1970 Aug 21, 2007 7:07 AM

It really is an awesome looking lens.

I think the local wildlife will be scared into submission!!

Dal

robar Aug 21, 2007 11:41 AM

just put a 1.4x-s on this and i can't close down to f2.8.
furthest it will go is f4. that's with the lens set to the A position.
why is this???

roy

robar Aug 21, 2007 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a couple with the 1.4x. full frame resize. this will focus down to just under 8 feet. the Df was probably 12'.. DOF is razor thin here.

robar Aug 21, 2007 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this about 10'

snostorm Aug 21, 2007 2:10 PM

robar wrote:
Quote:

just put a 1.4x-s on this and i can't close down to f2.8.
furthest it will go is f4. that's with the lens set to the A position.
why is this???

roy
Hi Roy,

I'm not sure, but I've found that sometimes installing the PK/A adapter is fiddly. I've worked out a procedure that's pretty reliable -- These instructions are my own, not sanctioned by Tamron, but better than the ones supplied but them, IMO.

Before installing the adapter, press the aperture acutation lever in the lens down all the way and note the size of the openings both closed down all the way and open all the way for reference.

1. Rotate the aperture ring on the lens to the max aperture setting (f2.8 in this case)

2. On the adapter, there are two black tabs that fit into slots on the lens, 1 is fixed, the other rotates. As you look at the adapter from the back (surface that fits into the camera) rotate the moving tab all the way to the left (counterclockwise). The tabs should be a little past 180 degrees from each other.

3. Match the green dots, push the adapter into the lens and rotate it clockwise, allowing it to rotate the aperture ring on the lens with it until it stops. At this point, the adapter should be locked to the lens.

4. Rotate the aperture ring all the way to f32 where it should lock. Unlock the aperture ring with the little black button and turn it back all the way to f2.8. The aperture blades should not be visible. Also at this point, both the black tabs should be seated in their notches on the lens. If they aren't, try to seat them manually.

5. Turn the aperture ring all the way to f32, using the black button to allow it to lock in at f32. The aperture blades should be closed down all the way -- the same as when you pushed the actuation lever all the way down at the beginning.

6. Work the aperture lever on the back of the adapter. You should be able to see the aperture blades open up all the way, then close back down all the way. Compare these to what you remember them to be from the beginning reference.

If the apertures don't register correctly at max or min, try going through all this one more time, if the max and min apertures still don't register correctly, you might have to adjust the adapter -- I've had to do this to a couple of the adapters that I have. I'll tell you how to do this (if needed) in another post. I've had adapters that either don't close down all the way, or don't open up all the way, and in all but one, I've been able to adjust them pretty easily.

This sounds more complicated than it is in practice, and you don't have to mount and dismount the adapter that much -- unless you get the Adaptall TCs and install and remove them often.

Scott

Edit: BTW, if you're saying that the aperture value in the VF is only registering to f4 -- it's possible that the TC is converting the aperture value passed to the camera -- Have you tried this with another "A" capable lens? Does it add a stop to the other lenses? My 1.7x AFA does this (add @1.5 stops), but my Rear Converter A 2x S doesn't -- showing the aperture setting on the lens.

danielchtong Aug 21, 2007 3:52 PM

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:

It really is an awesome looking lens.

I think the local wildlife will be scared into submission!!

Dal
Roy just has to yell 'freeze ' with the Tamron 300mm

:ak47::ak47::ak47:

That is it

He has been doing that even without the Tamron :doh:

Daniel

robar Aug 21, 2007 3:56 PM

with no exp. with the adapter. how do i get the adapter off the lens????

robar Aug 21, 2007 4:00 PM

i got it off. i'll follow you instructions. it shows f4 on the other 300

robar Aug 21, 2007 4:18 PM

followed your instr. and put my tamron 2x Af on and it will register f2.8 with no problem. when i put the 1.4x on it will only go to f4 in A mode.:?

snostorm Aug 21, 2007 4:57 PM

robar wrote:
Quote:

followed your instr. and put my tamron 2x Af on and it will register f2.8 with no problem. when i put the 1.4x on it will only go to f4 in A mode.:?
Hi Roy,

OK -- now I'm out of ideas -- If the lens is actually wide open, then you shouldn't have any exposure problems. So the only possible downsides are with the exif accuracy, and maybe P-TTL flash metering, but that can be compensated for. . .

You might as well give up and send me both.:evil: I'd be willing to let you get your money out of this fiasco. . .:lol:

Scott

robar Aug 21, 2007 5:07 PM

my 1.4x-s looks to be pretty old.. i just shot some wide open even tho the cam reports f4 i'll ck the exif and see. rt now tho my left shoulder is recuperating..

oh, to me, it looks like you have the palm rest on backwards.

roy

robar Aug 21, 2007 5:09 PM

snostorm wrote:
Quote:

robar wrote:
Quote:

Hi Roy,

OK -- now I'm out of ideas -- If the lens is actually wide open, then you shouldn't have any exposure problems. So the only possible downsides are with the exif accuracy, and maybe P-TTL flash metering, but that can be compensated for. . .

You might as well give up and send me both.:evil: I'd be willing to let you get your money out of this fiasco. . .:lol:

Scott
oh, what's your address?? i'll pack them tonite..

roy

snostorm Aug 21, 2007 6:52 PM

robar wrote:
Quote:

oh, to me, it looks like you have the palm rest on backwards.
Hi Roy,

All indications say that it's on the right way. It's screw is 1/4 20, and the rear hole is the same thread, with the front hole being 3/8, so you'd need a step down sleeve to attach it there. That plus it's a lot more comfortable the way it's shown mounted. I tried it both ways since I have a 1/4 20 sleeve semi permanently installed in the front hole of the tripod mount. The way I have it mounted, my hand (which is pretty small) is naturally slanted towards the focusing ring, and because the weight is pretty much supported by the palm of my hand, my fingers are free to rotate the ring easily. Without the rest, my tendancy is to try to support some of the weight with my fingers, which gets in the way of focusing quickly and easily.

Scott