Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:19 AM   #1

Default K30 moved to KP

My K30 is almost useless because of the aperture block failure and the KP is on sale for $750 so I bit the bullet. Very happy with the KP so far, like the 3rd custom programmable dial and the grips.

20191022-KPMG0127 by Hans Nikesch, on Flickr

20191023-KPMG0175 by Hans Nikesch, on Flickr

20191024-KPMG0182 by Hans Nikesch, on Flickr

Nice to be able to use all my lenses again, With the K30 failure I could only use my PLM 55-300 and old manual lenses with aperture rings

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DA PLM 55-300, DA 18-135, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:39 AM   #2

Sorry for your problems with the K30, but a big CONGRATS for your new aquisition. Your pictures prove that buying it wasn't a mistake!
Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:20 AM   #3

+1

Happy to hear you are back up and running!

Shots look great!

The more I look at the KP, the more I think it is the ideal camera for me.

The extra e-dial. The user settings. The optional grips. The newer sensor.

But, I am still running my Pentax K100d and a later acquisition, an older Pentax ist DS.

Both were down last year. The K100d had the erratic rear e-dial. And the Pentax ist DS . . . the AF switch had gotten stuck.

But I was able to fix both earlier this year . . . so I am back up and running, still running these two old cameras.

I am just so cheap that I will keep running these cameras. LOL.

For your K30, if you have the time, patience and steady hands, there might be a low-cost fix to it.

Either "filing down" the plunger in the solenoid, or replacing the solenoid altogether.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63183870

Take care & Happy Shooting!

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:43 PM   #4

Thanks Guys, I have been looking at replacing the solenoid on the K30 but haven't got the guts yet. I have an old K2000 that I could get the flash solenoid out of. Maybe someday I will get into the fixing mode.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DA PLM 55-300, DA 18-135, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:50 AM   #5

The KP certainly looks like the camera I would get if I could.

Olympus E-PL1, E-P5, OM-D E-M1(X2): 9mm to 200mm lenses

Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:36 AM   #6

Sorry for not participating in so long. I just logged in to ask a question about the K30 aperture block failures and to my surprise I see this thread.

My K30 failed a few years back. The silver lining was that it forced me to buy a K5 iis, which I love.

My K30 aperture block failed a little over the 1 year warranty period. I contacted Pentax/Ricoh and they refused to do anything about it, even though it was a well documented issue at the time.

During the past year I have seen youtube videos on making the repair. Since being 'locked down' here in western NY I took the time yesterday to attempt the fix. I didn't buy a new aperture block, actually it's a 2 coil solenoid. This solenoid actuates the aperture release lever. Some videos suggest pulling the horseshoe magnet plunger out and sanding the two ends with a slight taper. So I took out the 27 little tiny screws, of which there are a few different lengths and diameters. Made a paper template of each working surface of the K30 and marked each screw location with a little hole, inserting each removed screw in it's template hole so they don't get mixed up. Getting the solenoid screw out is a little challenging as you won't get a straight on approach with a screw driver, but it can be done. I didn't remove the two wires from the solenoid. It took a bit of force to pull the horseshoe magnet out, so I think the major problem is the tolerances are a little sloppy and it gets jammed in the mechanism. I did a very minor amount of sanding, not as aggressive of a taper that is suggested in some of the videos. Put it back together, and to my surprise it works like a charm. Like I said, I'm not convinced the sanding of the magnet ends has anything to do with fixing it. So even though it's working, I suspect it might fail again.

And here's the rub on buying a replacement solenoid. From what I have read, Pentax/Ricoh changed their source of solenoids somewhere along the production life run of the effected models, K30, K50, maybe some others. You can identify the newer sloppy tolerance solenoids by their light green plastic rectangles at the end of the coils:

Again, from what I read, the better solenoids from earlier production runs have white plastic. So if you buy a replacement, it might just fail eventually too. I have a very old K100. If you recall that had an auto-flash pop up feature actuated by the same older production run solenoid. If my K30 fails again I may just take the solenoid out of my K100 to use in the K30. I can solder, but the spot it has to be done on is going to be tricky to get at.

So my question, has anyone else done the fix by sanding the ends of the magnet that resulted in more than a temporary fix?

Last edited by a200user; Apr 22, 2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Photo was too big
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:25 PM   #7

Thatís an impressive amount of work! Well beyond my capability (not much for DIY stuff). Glad it has worked, at least in the short-term.

I ended up tossing my white S1 because of aperture block - while I was sad to see it go, I replaced it with the KP which is a much better camera all the way around and is now my go-to camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2020, 4:05 PM   #8

I didn't do the fix but on the Pentax forum K30 section there is a post that shows how to use lenses with aperture rings on a K30 with the failure in AV mode. I have several old lenses and they work in AV mode but you need to use exposure correction to get the correct exposure. You set the aperture ring to the aperture you want and compensate the exposure correction by the number of stops you closed down the lens from wide open. The K30 will meter the shot wide open but the shutter release will close to your selected aperture. The aperture Sol. failure will cause a lens to stop down all the way but a lens with an aperture ring will only stop down to your set aperture.

Last edited by hnikesch; May 14, 2020 at 4:17 PM.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Thatís an impressive amount of work! Well beyond my capability (not much for DIY stuff). Glad it has worked, at least in the short-term.

I ended up tossing my white S1 because of aperture block - while I was sad to see it go, I replaced it with the KP which is a much better camera all the way around and is now my go-to camera.
I also love my KP it's as close to perfect as any camera I have tried

Old May 16, 2020, 6:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I didn't do the fix but on the Pentax forum K30 section there is a post that shows how to use lenses with aperture rings on a K30 with the failure in AV mode. I have several old lenses and they work in AV mode but you need to use exposure correction to get the correct exposure. You set the aperture ring to the aperture you want and compensate the exposure correction by the number of stops you closed down the lens from wide open. The K30 will meter the shot wide open but the shutter release will close to your selected aperture. The aperture Sol. failure will cause a lens to stop down all the way but a lens with an aperture ring will only stop down to your set aperture.
Yes, I was able to use the 'broken' K30 with my lenses that have an aperture ring. But that's not very convenient when trying to capture a special moment with the grandkids.
In the meantime my K30 is still working as it should. I've been in contact with a very knowledgeable Pentaxian on the Pentax forums who recommends finding a donor 'white' solenoid. He goes by user name 'photogem' from Winterthur, Switzerland.
He has done numerous aperture block repairs on K30/K50's. However based on my conversations with him one pretty common cause seems to be lack of use. Mine was working fine, but then it sat idle for a few months after which it stopped working. This seems to be the most common experience among those reporting the problem. So I've been making it a point to use mine at least once per day, and after over 3 weeks, it's still working fine. (hope that statement didn't curse me.)
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote