Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   May Monthlly Challenge (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/may-monthlly-challenge-140782/)

nhmom May 4, 2008 3:05 PM

I'm hoping this will be a fun one. I've never really attempted too much with it. Mostly just gotten some from errors. But, I like the effects of this type of photography.

The topic for May will be "silhouettes".

Rules - pictures are to be taken in the last 90 days, the longest dimension is to be resized to800 pixels to keep things equal and there's only one entry per person. If you post a picture early in the month, then take a better one later on, you can delete the first one (just edit your post and delete the attachment) and post the new one. As usual, the pictures are to be taken with aPentax / Samsungcamera (any model).

I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. Now let's go have some fun!

Patty

p.s. Please excuse the spelling error in the topic. Too late to correct now.

snooked May 4, 2008 5:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will start with this one from April 24th.

Taken on way back to car after photographing rookery.

K10D, Pentax DA* 300mm F4

Updated to solarized version after discussions by members.

Ed

snooked May 4, 2008 5:05 PM

Did solarized version that will not count due to modification, just want to see what you think?

Ed

mtngal May 4, 2008 10:05 PM

An interesting topic - and could be interpreted in a couple of different ways. I'll have to think about this one for a while.

Ed - I can't decide if I like your solarized version or not. It's not my normal thing, but yours is interesting.

beachboy2 May 5, 2008 3:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sunday afternoon on the Canning River

Sigma 28-300 @ 300mm, 1/4000, ISO 200, F 6.7, CP filter,with istDS

snostorm May 5, 2008 4:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Patty,

Ah, a subject where I stand a chance of not being too embarrassed. . .:-)

I get quite a few of these because I generally don't have a whole lot of choice when it comes to lighting angles.

This is the best one from what I have recently. Maybe something better will come along -- this little Pied-Billed Grebe was motoring along, trying to get some distance between us as the sun was setting behind him.
I thought it was funny that the reflection looks like Big Bird!

They can really swim fast. . .

K20, Tamron SP 300/2.8 + P F 1.7x AFA

Scott

robar May 5, 2008 9:40 AM

snooked wrote:
Quote:

Did solarized version that will not count due to modification, just want to see what you think?

Ed
why wouldn't this count?? i've always thought that it was ''no limit on PPing'' the shot

roy

Lyrics51 May 5, 2008 1:46 PM

I agree with Roy. I think the final product is what we are looking for, not necessarily how we got there. Anyway, I like beachboys shot of the boats. This is going to be a very interesting topic with a whole lot of ways to interpret it. By the way, thanks for the idea Patty.

Glenn

mtngal May 5, 2008 2:12 PM

I agree with Roy - we've never put a limit on pp and I thinkEd's solarized version is more interesting than the original. The original is very nice, technically fine, but (in my opinion) rather ordinary.

Scott's grebe is very neat, especially since I've never gotten anywhere near this close to one.

dafiryde May 5, 2008 2:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this topic should be easy for me as i often suffer from user error :cool:

nhmom May 5, 2008 10:22 PM

At first I was afraid this topic mightnot yield many results. But, I see that it's coming along nicely.

I don't know if I liked the solarized or non better. But, the solarized one sure looks cool, Ed.

Scott, you're right. It does look like Big Bird. My son's favorite SS character. (Well, besides Mr Snuffleluffaguss) Although, he's 23 now! He'd probably be embarrassed to hear me say that.

Glad you liked the topic, Glenn. I was going to wait and see if others wanted to wait and see if the voting changed. But, my husband kept reminding me we were losing time in May to post if I waited too long. Hope all is well with that.

Patty

Lyrics51 May 5, 2008 11:40 PM

No worries, Patty! These challenges are always fun no matter who wins.

Glenn

Trojansoc May 7, 2008 5:56 AM

Already some great ones posted....I knew this was going to be an interesting challenge. I really like the color gradient in dafiryde's shot. I don't have anything worthy of posting yet, but I'm hoping to shoot something interesting this weekend.

Paul

DigitalGal May 8, 2008 1:51 PM

Hi! First of all congratulations to the host of this topic, ie. a winner of an april callenge.. :)

I'd like to add the photo taken this evening.. :) my daughter Renate was proud of what she was finally able to do.. to make a bow backwards, not being afraid to touch the floor with hands.. :) I think this can make a nice shilouette too.. ;)

So this is my entry for now.. :) maybe I'll change it later.. I am impulsive enough.. :D

Have fun! Thanks for this interesting topic.. ;)

Irena

PS. Removing the photo from here to upload another one as a replacement later.. with the real shilouette.. at least what I do understand that is.. :)

mtngal May 9, 2008 8:10 AM

Very nice! Your daughter looks quite limber, and backbends are scary, when you start from standing up. Brings back memories of my long-ago gymnastic days!

Driver3 May 9, 2008 1:17 PM

Lots of cool entries so far. Here's one from me. This may not last the month as my entry.

Edit: I change my entry to this one. I just like it better!

K100 w/16-45 @45mm f6.3 iso 100
http://dcfrench.smugmug.com/photos/2...30_iQrJn-L.jpg

DigitalGal May 9, 2008 2:17 PM

Wonderful blue hue here.. :) just had to say this! ;)

Have a great weekend! I am off until next week.. :)

mtngal May 9, 2008 4:38 PM

That's a beautiful picture with the blues and the water! I'm finding this subject more challenging than I had thought. Today's experiments didn't work out very well - I may have to re-think where I want to go with this.

Goldwinger May 9, 2008 8:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wow... you mean I get to post a shot without being ashamed of it?!
:D:D:D

Trojansoc May 10, 2008 5:53 PM

(Image pulled for later replacement)

nhmom May 11, 2008 10:40 AM

Some nice images so far. Guess I'd better get to work looking for something.

I went looking for some tips on photographing silhouettes and found the following sites that seem informative.

http://sergykalstudios.blogspot.com/...aphy-tips.html

http://digital-photography-school.co...h-silhouettes/

http://www.photosafaris.com/Articles/Silhouettes.asp

Patty

bluwing May 11, 2008 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

This may not be as good as all of the rest, but here is my entry.

mtngal May 11, 2008 9:28 PM

I'm going to continue to look for silhouettes, but until I find something better, I thought I'd post this one. I actually took it in April, but it will have to do until I take something better/more current. It was a pretty sunset, and this one seemed to fit this month's theme the best of the series.

Edited: A better sunset tonight - this time I actually thought about the trees, instead of trying to ignore them. I've posted my new entry below.

Monza76 May 12, 2008 9:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is NOT FOR VOTING!!!! This is an old image that I am just putting here for comments. DO NOT VOTE FOR THIS IMAGE, it does not meet the requirements for an entry.

Years ago, Pentax ME Super, M 50mm f1.7 lens film (remember that).

Just wanted opinions, the light in the windows is from thesetting sun behind.

Ira

mtngal May 12, 2008 10:36 PM

Here's my latest entry - tonight's sunset was better than the other one.

Ira - I like the idea of the picture, but I think the scanner sort-of lets it down. I suspect that it's got better quality/sharpness when you see the photograph in person. I bet it has a much bigger impact than it shows here, the framing is very good and the sky is certainly dramatic.

Edited to remove sunset picture, replaced by a later picture.

nhmom May 13, 2008 9:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my entry for the time being. Had gone to the cemetery to try with some stones, but I just couldn't get the effect I wanted. Tried with the tree and this was what I got.

Patty

nhmom May 13, 2008 9:48 PM

Ira, I really like your non-voting image. It reminds me of a photo I took a few years ago at the lighthouse in San Diego. I think it's more the peaceful feelings of the day, but yours is nice.

The window effect is cool.

Patty

PanagiotisDJ May 13, 2008 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my submission. I have another one lined up JUST in case this one does not count for voting. (It was taken on Feb 12th and im not sure if the 90 days counts from the beginning of the month meaning anything within 90 days of May 1st. Anyways.... If this one is disqualified let me know :)

NonEntity1 May 14, 2008 3:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Normally I try to take a new photo for our contests, but I don't think I am likely to find a more interesting silhouette in the next two weeks. This was taken at St. Petersburg Beach last month.

Tim

snooked May 14, 2008 4:06 PM

Great image, hope he stayed dry.

Ed

mtngal May 14, 2008 11:21 PM

Tim - that's quite a picture - I can see why you don't think you'll find another silhouette that would be better any time soon.

IntrepidWalker May 15, 2008 2:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It wouldn't have occurred to me to post this without a prompt from jelpee, so here goes:

dcf12 May 15, 2008 9:18 PM

Mistaken post.

Driver3 May 15, 2008 9:22 PM

I like this pic better than the boring old pier.

I will change it on the original post too.

K100D DA 16-45 @ 45mm F6.3 1/1000 iso200

http://dcfrench.smugmug.com/photos/2...30_iQrJn-L.jpg

mtngal May 15, 2008 10:11 PM

When I started to read your post I thought you were making a mistake, since your pier is one of my favorites (loved the color). However, there's something about this picture that's really special.

Driver3 May 16, 2008 4:46 AM

Thank you, Harriet! I really like this image too. The fog was changing continuously changing the light off the sun. I took a series of pix in both portrait and landscape and this was the one that worked the best. I did a little pp but nothing real extreme.

wittetulp May 16, 2008 5:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just trying whether i can master this attacing of pictures

wittetulp May 16, 2008 5:32 AM

so I can, have to admit was made with P&S Canon s45, are non pentax pictures allowed??

wittetulp May 16, 2008 5:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another one, same day, similar subject

wittetulp May 16, 2008 5:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry, this is for those without a magnifying glass