Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:51 AM   #1

Default New Pentax KP. WOW!

After using Nikon and Sony for years, I just purchased a Pentax KP.

Where has this been all my life?

I started with Minolta in the film days, so when digital came around I gravitated there. When Sony bought them, I merged but pretty much stuck with my arsenal of Minolta glass, buying used lenses almost exclusively. When my IBIS failed, I needed a camera/lens for a specific purpose and Sony didn't have the combination I needed, so I switched to Nikon. I used that for most of my sports/action/wildlife photography, but got another Sony for my existing lenses and the IBIS. When Sony switched to the electronic viewfinder, I was disappointed, but now it is clearly dropping the A-Mount, so I looked at Pentax. The KP looks to be as good or better than my Nikon D7200 and my Sony A77 II in terms of features and capabilities. Now all it needs is lenses. All I've got right now is the Pentax 100/2.8 macro and the Tamron 17-50/2.8, but things are looking good. I was disappointed to learn that Tamron dropped the K-Mount from their line-up, but some of their stuff is still available on the used market (which is where I picked up my 17-50/2.8.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:13 PM   #2

Welcome in the Pentax crowd!
There are a lot of very good second hand lenses waiting for you out there. Myself I have gathered a lens selection from 11mm to 600mm scanning classifieds, online auctions and flea markets. Not everything with the letters "Pentax" on it is high class, but there are enough to fill any needs. Look for the * (green star) or "Limited" for pro quality. But there are gems disguised as standard lenses hidden in the bunch, like the FA 35mm f2 and the smc F70-210mm f4-5.6.
Unfortunately this forum, which was very active some years ago, has become pretty idle and some members including myself are more active elsewhere. Maybe your posting is the start of a new era here, or maybe we'll meet at some of those "other places". Anyway, congratulations to your purchase!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:59 PM   #3

G'day TCav

Good on you for having the courage to swap to something else that suits you better than before - I meet too many people who stick with the same and keep grumbling

Also- disappointed to hear about Tamron as they are my historical favorite lens maker, but these days as I no longer use SLRs, it's out of my hands anyway

ps- how about some pics from you showing us your work - both 'old' and 'new'
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:08 AM   #4

With social distancing, quarantining, and my pending shoulder replacement, I haven't had a lot of opportunities to go out shooting, but I'm looking forward to comparing my KP with the Tamron 17-50/2.8, with my Sony A77 II with the same lens. Hopefully, not having the anti-aliasing filter will make a difference.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:27 AM   #5

This transition will be tough, since I'm one of two Admins for the Sony Camera Club on Flickr, and at the top of the Leaderboard at Sony's Community Site.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
This transition will be tough, since I'm one of two Admins for the Sony Camera Club on Flickr, and at the top of the Leaderboard at Sony's Community Site.
It's a tough job, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:05 PM   #7

Ok, First complaint. The Tripod Socket on the camera body is in line with the lens, but the tripod socket on the Vertical Grip isn't.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:34 AM   #8

I havenít used the grip enough to notice that, thatís interesting. I love my KP, itís become my main camera even though I bought it originally for a specific reason on a specific trip, 2 years ago.

Iíll be happy to hang out here more, though Iím not shooting photos at the moment (just had surgery a week ago). Hoping to be shooting more in another two weeks.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:52 PM   #9

G'day Harriet

Good to hear from you again - hope all's well at your end ... and look fwd to seeing your images once you are back up-and-running as it were

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:34 PM   #10

Hi, Phil! All is good news on my end, just a pain while waiting to heal.

One of the reasons I love the KP is the fact itís smaller and lighter than the K1. Iíll be out and about sooner with the KP than the K1, though probably not shooting with either of my 2 relatively new lenses. Both of them are pretty big, with the DFA*85 f1.4 being very heavy. Itís an awesome lens, but itís the heaviest, largest and most expensive one I have. Itís also far better than I am a photographer, but thatís OK, I still love it.

The DFA 70-210 f4 is starting to come down in price now (I thought it was overpriced when it was released earlier this year). Itís supposed to be a re-badged Tamron (or at least Tamron did a certain amount of the original design), and I find it larger than I like, plus Iím not crazy about the ergonomics, though Iíve gotten used to it. I much prefer to shoot with the Pentax limited lenses, which are known for being small/compact. Thatís what Iíll probably start off shooting with when Iím more mobile.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote