Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:03 PM   #1

Default New Toys

I recently bought a couple of new ďtoys.Ē One of them Iíve looked at off and on for a couple of years, but while I was in Quartzsite, a friend demonstrated his. That got me off the dime and I promptly went to B&Hís website. While there, a couple of other items just happened to jump into my cart. I went back and forth trying to decide whether to get everything or only one of the new toys (and then which one). I ended up (as expected) buying all of the items in my cart.

This is one of my new toys, taken with the other new toys:

These were taken with the KP and DFA 70-210 f4 lens, which was the other ďtoyĒ I bought. So far Iíve been really impressed with it, though Iíve only had 2 days to play with it so far.

Iím going to cheat a little bit and post a photo taken with the Mavic, just to show it off a bit and to show off my nice camping spot.

Iím no longer in Quartzsite, I moved up to a spot near Overton NV. Tomorrow Iíll go over to Valley of Fire and play a little with the new lens there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I recently bought a couple of new “toys.” One of them I’ve looked at off and on for a couple of years, but while I was in Quartzsite, a friend demonstrated his. That got me off the dime and I promptly went to B&H’s website. While there, a couple of other items just happened to jump into my cart. I went back and forth trying to decide whether to get everything or only one of the new toys (and then which one). I ended up (as expected) buying all of the items in my cart.

This is one of my new toys, taken with the other new toys:

These were taken with the KP and DFA 70-210 f4 lens, which was the other “toy” I bought. So far I’ve been really impressed with it, though I’ve only had 2 days to play with it so far.

I’m going to cheat a little bit and post a photo taken with the Mavic, just to show it off a bit and to show off my nice camping spot.

I’m no longer in Quartzsite, I moved up to a spot near Overton NV. Tomorrow I’ll go over to Valley of Fire and play a little with the new lens there.
Ah.... someone posted on this forum! Let us know what you think as I'm thinking of trying one for the first time too.
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 / 2 Nikon SB-800
Bogen/Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Apple iPhone 8 plus
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:56 AM   #3

So far I like mine. It doesnít have the avoidance capability that some of the more expensive drones do, but Iím definitely pleased with the photo quality. Iíve never tried to fly anything before so itís not intuitive how to move it yet (right is left if the camera/front of the drone is facing you). Also itís easy to get focused so much on getting the shot (the camera is a fixed focal length, if you want to zoom out you do that by moving the drone backwards). If you are totally focused on the framing of the photo itís easy to fly into something (I almost did just that a couple of times when I was testing it out at an area that was a little cluttered with houses and trees). Mine is light-weight and reacts to wind more than bigger, heavier drones.

The software runs on your cell phone. I donít know yet if it will fly when I donít have cell service. The app that my drone uses to fly also can show the no-fly zones. It looked like you couldnít take off without putting in a code if you were in one of those zones (I was camping in a park near McCarran Airport and the map in the app clearly showed I was in a restricted zone. I didnít attempt to fly it there so only assume from what I read that it would not take off).

The app also has some built-in fly options such as circling an object, zooming in or out, that type of thing. They seem to be easy to manage, Iíll find them very useful for many things.

My initial reaction is very positive - the Mavic Mini is mid-range price-wise, seems to have enough bells and whistles to keep me busy and nice photo quality. I donít think Iíll want to get anything else, for my purposes it suits me. If I were a YouTuber putting out pro quality travel videos I might want to upgrade later on, but Iím not. I already know I donít think in video terms, so doing a couple of videos but mostly using this for stills will work for me.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
So far I like mine. It doesnít have the avoidance capability that some of the more expensive drones do, but Iím definitely pleased with the photo quality. Iíve never tried to fly anything before so itís not intuitive how to move it yet (right is left if the camera/front of the drone is facing you). Also itís easy to get focused so much on getting the shot (the camera is a fixed focal length, if you want to zoom out you do that by moving the drone backwards). If you are totally focused on the framing of the photo itís easy to fly into something (I almost did just that a couple of times when I was testing it out at an area that was a little cluttered with houses and trees). Mine is light-weight and reacts to wind more than bigger, heavier drones.

The software runs on your cell phone. I donít know yet if it will fly when I donít have cell service. The app that my drone uses to fly also can show the no-fly zones. It looked like you couldnít take off without putting in a code if you were in one of those zones (I was camping in a park near McCarran Airport and the map in the app clearly showed I was in a restricted zone. I didnít attempt to fly it there so only assume from what I read that it would not take off).

The app also has some built-in fly options such as circling an object, zooming in or out, that type of thing. They seem to be easy to manage, Iíll find them very useful for many things.

My initial reaction is very positive - the Mavic Mini is mid-range price-wise, seems to have enough bells and whistles to keep me busy and nice photo quality. I donít think Iíll want to get anything else, for my purposes it suits me. If I were a YouTuber putting out pro quality travel videos I might want to upgrade later on, but Iím not. I already know I donít think in video terms, so doing a couple of videos but mostly using this for stills will work for me.
Thanks for a fast response and good review too.
What is the photo quality? Can it print out to like say 8x10 sharp?

Apple iPhone 8 plus
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:35 PM   #5

You're having too much fun, Harriet!

Jack, is that a Nanday parakeet on your shoulder?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:50 PM   #6

The photos looked sharp at 100% on my monitor. The camera is a 12 MP camera so it should print as high as 8x10 and look good. It actually did pretty well for exposure - I didnít make any adjustments in LR for the one I posted - basically just resized it down then did a slight bit of contrast sharpening because of the resizing.

Kjell - Yes, Iím having lots of fun, but am I ever disappointed in my lens this afternoon - either it needs some focus adjustment or it wonít focus at infinity. I think itís just focus adjustment and have been making adjustments, but the scenery at ďhomeĒ isnít the best for checking infinity focus, and I didnít really notice a real problem when I was shooting the drone a couple of days ago. Iíll process a couple that arenít too bad from this morningís walk. Itís also possible that my lack of shooting skills (Iím still somewhat out of practice) might have contributed. But I do find the lens more awkward than any of my other ones. More on that later - tomorrow morning is supposed to be nice enough, so I may go back to Valley of Fire rather than head further away to another spot Iíd like to see, if the road in isnít too bad.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
You're having too much fun, Harriet!

Jack, is that a Nanday parakeet on your shoulder?

Kjell
Yes it is a Nanday! Very lovable and very possessive!
Apple iPhone 8 plus
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:17 PM   #8

I spent some time yesterday fine tuning the focus. It still occasionally front focuses a bit, but at least it will focus to infinity now.

I donít think I would have bought the lens if I had tried it out before buying it. I had read that the zoom ring is in front of the focus ring, which makes it very awkward for me to handle. Itís light compared to a 2.8 lens and slightly lighter than the DA*200 f2.8. So itís still pretty big and heavy. I usually support the camera and lens with my left hand, using my right hand fairly lightly on that side and trying not to squeeze the shutter too hard and move the camera, which I tend to do if I try to support all of the weight with my right hand. But since the zoom ring is so far forward, I have to let go with my left hand to reach it, which puts all the weight in my right hand - ouch when you are using your right hand to hold the camera and half-push the shutter for focus. I ended up continuing to support/hold the camera/lens with my left hand and then operate the zoom with my right, returning it to the camera when I thought it was right and pushing the shutter to focus.

I did get a few good photos today. I went to a place called ďLittle FinlandĒ in Gold Butte National Monument, near Mesquite, Nevada. Hereís an example of why itís called ďLittle FinlandĒ (nothing to do with the country):

There are all sorts of rock fins sticking out. They are all sorts of different sizes and shapes. I kept thinking they looked like animals - horses, dragons, dolphins.

These were all taken with the KP and the DFA 70-210 f4 lens. I was really looking forward to this lens. Itís sharp when it achieves focus. But Iím just not impressed at the moment - maybe if I get the focus right I will be happier.

If the weather tomorrow morning cooperates, Iíll go back to Valley of Fire and see if I canít get some good photos there, after being so disappointed yesterday.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:42 AM   #9

Those were some great shots!
Apple iPhone 8 plus
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:10 PM   #10

Always love the beautiful pict
jacinda is offline   Reply With Quote