Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:55 PM   #1

Pentax K10D vs Canon 1D Mark 3

I was asked to compare my two set ups. I have had the new set up for about 1 month now.

Pentax K10D with a BIGMA & Canon 1D Mark 3 with a Canon 500 mm lens with a 1.4 converter

First so no one gets the wrong idea I love my K10D and use it every day and will continue to use it daily.

Price approximately = Pentax set up $1600.00 Canon set up $10,000.00 I believe one should expect a system that cost $8,400.00 or 6.25 times more money should be able to do more things and IMHO that is the way it is working.

What does my canon set up do much better than my Pentax set up does.

1. Low light, here is a photo I could not of gotten with my Pentax.

2. Almost instant focus and a fast FPS, again some photos I would of missed.

Bottom line: If low light and instant focus with a fast FPS is important to you then the extra dollars are worth it. My Canon set up is a tool for my business and it does a GREAT job. My Pentax set up is also a tool for my business but to me it also is my favorite. The K10D is is much easier to use and requires very little time as far as a learning curve is concerned. I also think for me it is more comfortable in my hands.

Questions and or comments appreciated.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:47 PM   #2

Roger,

I have seen those shots posted in the wildlife forum and I find them to be absolutely fantastic. The images speak for themselves as to the reason why you went with another camera system.

Pentax is a great system in its own right for the type of shooting it is capable of. It does lack in the area of what your Canon system is able to do for the type of shots you are after for your business.

Thanks for sharing this here.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:15 PM   #3

Roger - It doesn't surprise me that the 1D Mark 3 takes better pictures in low light, or thatyour camera/lens comboshows greater detail than the K10/Bigma combination, or that the focus/fps allows you to get shots you would have otherwise missed. What really surprises me is that the K10 does as well as it does against a camera that costs over 6 times as much, and is considered the real class act of digital photography. You posting pictures like this makes me: 1) Wish I had an unlimited budget so I could buy one and 2) Glad that my lowly K10 does so well against the top of the line. All photography is a compromise, and the biggest one for me is my budget. Thanks for letting me know that it's been money well spent.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:23 PM   #4

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Roger,

I have seen those shots posted in the wildlife forum and I find them to be absolutely fantastic. The images speak for themselves as to the reason why you went with another camera system.

Pentax is a great system in its own right for the type of shooting it is capable of. It does lack in the area of what your Canon system is able to do for the type of shots you are after for your business.

Thanks for sharing this here.

Tom
Hi Tom, I think I have the best two cameras available for the type of photography I do. Thanks for looking and for the nice comment.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:25 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Roger - It doesn't surprise me that the 1D Mark 3 takes better pictures in low light, or thatyour camera/lens comboshows greater detail than the K10/Bigma combination, or that the focus/fps allows you to get shots you would have otherwise missed. What really surprises me is that the K10 does as well as it does against a camera that costs over 6 times as much, and is considered the real class act of digital photography. You posting pictures like this makes me: 1) Wish I had an unlimited budget so I could buy one and 2) Glad that my lowly K10 does so well against the top of the line. All photography is a compromise, and the biggest one for me is my budget. Thanks for letting me know that it's been money well spent.
Hi mtngal, thanks for looking ad for taking the time to comment. I decided for 2008 I was going to have the best two cameras for my type of photography and YES the K10D is one of the two.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:55 PM   #6

Thanks Roger for showing and being so honest about them. I am more than happy with my K10D and dont judge people or there pics because they have a top ot the range SLR or a little point and shoot. People buy what they can afford for what they doing and so what suits them. Like cars. Not everyone has the same car. Some of them are better that others as well and do different things. I think its fantastic that you can have what you have. Ill enjoy looking at your cannon pics just as much as your K10D ones. Congratulations. Cheers Keith
Keithg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:20 AM   #7

Keithg wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Roger for showing and being so honest about them. I am more than happy with my K10D and dont judge people or there pics because they have a top ot the range SLR or a little point and shoot. People buy what they can afford for what they doing and so what suits them. Like cars. Not everyone has the same car. Some of them are better that others as well and do different things. I think its fantastic that you can have what you have. Ill enjoy looking at your cannon pics just as much as your K10D ones. Congratulations. Cheers Keith
Hi Keith, the canon set up is a tool for my business but my K10 is more than that to me.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:15 PM   #8

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:

I was asked to compare my two set ups. I have had the new set up for about 1 month now.

Pentax K10D with a BIGMA & Canon 1D Mark 3 with a Canon 500 mm lens with a 1.4 converter

First so no one gets the wrong idea I love my K10D and use it every day and will continue to use it daily.

Price approximately = Pentax set up $1600.00 Canon set up $10,000.00 I believe one should expect a system that cost $8,400.00 or 6.25 times more money should be able to do more things and IMHO that is the way it is working.

Wacky roger
Rogers,

I saw the pictures in other forum and they are examplary

I think that is kind of uneven match as well . Bigma is not even of *prime quality. But even with a long *prime, Pentax still lags in BIF firepower (frame rate & predictive focus tracking).

Anything other than that , Pentax can match ,if not prevail in quality, the best. I agree you need the right tool for the job. Money may not be an issue if you need to achieve your aim

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:28 PM   #9

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:

Wacky roger
Rogers,

I saw the pictures in other forum and they are examplary

I think that is kind of uneven match as well . Bigma is not even of *prime quality. But even with a long *prime, Pentax still lags in BIF firepower (frame rate & predictive focus tracking).

Anything other than that , Pentax can match ,if not prevail in quality, the best. I agree you need the right tool for the job. Money may not be an issue if you need to achieve your aim

Daniel
Daniel, you and I agree, I was not trying to compare them just trying to answer people that asked about how I liked the new set up compared to my K10D. I use my K10D every day and love it and will continue to use for for everything but close ups especially in low light.

Wacky roger