Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   Poison Ivy anyone? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/poison-ivy-anyone-122132/)

bper May 21, 2007 11:39 PM

Sorry I haven't posted much lately. It's been a busy Spring, but I have been able to get out and get some pictures. I took this shot as I was going through a dense spot in the trail near Cowiche Creek. Take a good look and those that like to hike incool attirebeware. This was just at the ideal place for you to rub against as you walked by with bare arms and legs. Take a good look at it. It mightkeep you from havinga bad experience.

A few years back I got into some and spent the most miserable 6 weeks of my life. It won't hurt you badly, but it's a six week itch. Remember -leaves of three, let it be- Bruce

http://www.perr.com/gallery/poison_ivy.jpg

rhermans May 22, 2007 2:03 AM

Never saw one before, looks like a fun plant :? - Ronny

robar May 22, 2007 7:02 AM

when i was a kid in new orleans i got this all the time. i've had it up my nose and in my mouth. it's horrible. if you get it the best thing to do to get rid of it fast is to be sure you change your bed linens every morning. you can reinfect yourself and spread it by sleeping on the soiled linens. i've outgrown most of my allergy to it but still avoid it like the plague..

roy

ennacac May 22, 2007 8:33 AM

I can't get over the urge to spray it and kill it!

Tom

NonEntity1 May 22, 2007 7:26 PM

I have not seen any since I was a kid, I don't think it grows here in central FL.

Tim

JimInGA May 22, 2007 8:37 PM

Covered up in that stuff this year around here. My experience was as a kid, it never bothered me. Now, I'll scratch with the best of em if I get in it.

Jim

robar May 22, 2007 9:23 PM

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:

I have not seen any since I was a kid, I don't think it grows here in central FL.

Tim
tim,
this is all over the place in Florida!!!!!!!!!
poison ivy/oak/sumac love your semi-tropical environment.
it grows out of the cracks in the cement in new orleans..

roy

mtngal May 22, 2007 9:59 PM

SoCal has poison oak instead of poison ivy. It's similar (leaves of three) and will change color to a very pretty red in fall. I'm one of the lucky ones - I don't seem to be allergic to it, though I don't touch it if I see it.

I'm pretty lucky - poison oak only grows to something like 4,000 feet elevation, and most of my hiking (and living, for that matter) is higher than that - between 5,000 and 8800 feet.

An off-topic little fact - dog fleas don't live above about the same elevation. My Golden was allergic to fleas and I always had trouble with him until we moved to the mountains - most effective flea treatment I found.

NonEntity1 May 23, 2007 5:04 PM

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

SoCal has poison oak instead of poison ivy. It's similar (leaves of three) and will change color to a very pretty red in fall. I'm one of the lucky ones - I don't seem to be allergic to it, though I don't touch it if I see it.

I'm pretty lucky - poison oak only grows to something like 4,000 feet elevation, and most of my hiking (and living, for that matter) is higher than that - between 5,000 and 8800 feet.

An off-topic little fact - dog fleas don't live above about the same elevation. My Golden was allergic to fleas and I always had trouble with him until we moved to the mountains - most effective flea treatment I found.
Really? I have a Newfoundland that is allergic to fleas. Now that sounds like one more reason to move out of Florida!

Tim

NonEntity1 May 23, 2007 5:18 PM

robar wrote:
Quote:

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:

Tim
tim,
this is all over the place in Florida!!!!!!!!!
poison ivy/oak/sumac love your semi-tropical environment.
it grows out of the cracks in the cement in new orleans..

roy
Well, I just hit google and you are right, Poison Ivy, Sumac, and Oak are all found in Florida. I did find thatPoison Ivyis not well adapted to the Lake Wales Ridge scrubland that is the dominant landtype in my area though. It is interesting, I used to have bad run ins with that stuff every summer as a kid in New England but I have not seen it since moving to FL.

Tim