Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:02 AM   #1

Default Replacement KP

The KP's issue finally got to me so I replaced it. Here's a couple of photos with the new camera.

Mom (KP, DFA 70-210 f4)

One of the kids (KP, DFA 70-210 f4)

I'm not sure I have the fine focus adjusted quite right - the lens may be still front focusing very slightly. It was much easier to figure out the focus adjustment when I was in Quartzsite.

Earlier this week I took a day trip to the newly re-opened (partially) Petrified Forest National Park. I had visited the park three years ago when I was driving between two points and towing a trailer. While most of the viewpoints had places where I could park my rig, there was one that was completely jammed and I had to skip a short hike that I really wanted to do. Conditions were completely different this day.

Parking was wide open (KP, DA 16-85)

I-40 crosses the national park. The drivers on the interstate don't get much of an idea of the park. (KP, DFA 70-210 f4)

There was only 2 other cars at the point where Blue Mesa trail starts. It is a very nice hike, outstanding scenery and now I know what I missed two years ago. (KP, DA 16-85)

There was a fair amount of petrified wood scattered around, though the badlands are the real draw to the hike.

It was a very satisfying hike, especially since there were few other people there.

So how are others doing? Yesterday I received a 3 Legged Thing Ellie, an L-bracket that fits the KP pretty well. Has anyone else bought new photo gear while they've been more or less stuck at home?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:03 PM   #2

G'day Harriet

Can't comment re- fine-focus issues
The NP looks low-key impressive ... old weathered hills with beautiful striation from layering all those millenia ago, and your final pic seems extraordinary ~ rareto see much like that down here

travel safely
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The KP's issue finally got to me so I replaced it. Here's a couple of photos with the new camera.
Great photos!

Sorry for not keeping up with the forum, what issues were you having with your KP that caused you to replace it?
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
Great photos!

Sorry for not keeping up with the forum, what issues were you having with your KP that caused you to replace it?
I had a weird intermittent problem where the 4 way buttons wouldn’t work. It happened mostly when I was out walking around, and I originally thought it might have to do with heat as I was still in Quartzsite and it got pretty hot (mid 80sF) before I left. They would work when I got back to the trailer, out of the sun. When I got up to Show Low and the cooler mountains, they still didn’t work so I figured the problem was permanent.

Once I got the new camera, I took the battery out of the old one and was going to toss it. Before I did that, I decided that I should probably try to reset the camera to default settings - I had put my name into the copyright field. I put a fresh battery in and the buttons worked. Reset the camera and thought about it - when I was in “Q” I often changed the battery when I got back to the trailer, as the one in the camera was getting low. I have a mix of Pentax and generic batteries, mostly bought for the K-S1 I used to have, so some/most are at least 5 years old, probably 7 or 8. I’m now thinking the problem was power related and that there might be nothing wrong with the camera, but I don’t really know. Perhaps I should replace most or all of my generic batteries?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:22 PM   #5

G'day Harriet

Interesting to note your thoughts about batteries ... but to my mind, a battery is no different from the petrol you put into the vehicle > does it matter which brand of petrol coz they all have to pass the same quality controls ... ie: the pattery provides power and goes for so-many-hours/images before it goes flat

Over the years I have run both OEM + 3rd-party batteries and have had very few issues. When one considers that the 3rd-party product is about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the OEM, I think that overall they are remarkably good value for money

On one occasion when I emailed a query to a battery supplier about a battery's possible poor performance, the supplier sent me out a freebie as a 'just in case'. I cannot see the OEM people doing anything like this

Phil
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:42 PM   #6

I was thinking more about the age of the batteries, my generic batteries are mostly older than my OEM batteries. And at least some of them have not been holding a charge very well. Iím wondering if the cameraís problem has to do with low power more than whether the batteries are OEM or not.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I was thinking more about the age of the batteries, my generic batteries are mostly older than my OEM batteries. And at least some of them have not been holding a charge very well. Iím wondering if the cameraís problem has to do with low power more than whether the batteries are OEM or not.
Hi Harriet
Funny about that ... I had to call the RAA out the other day for a non-starting motorhome > flat battery. It was 'almost dead' after 5-yrs of regular use and was replaced
[for ref- 540Cranking Amps @ $us150-ish]
When I went back over the past month or two, the old battery was getting a bit slow and engine cranking wasn't the fastest, but it got there and did the job

So maybe, camera batteries do much the same things ~ keep on doing their best as they fade away on us
Phil
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:47 PM   #8

Well, lead-acid batteries do wear out eventually, and if yours was over 5 years old, Iím not surprised it died. Iíve usually ended up replacing car batteries around 5 years or so. I donít have to worry about my current truckís battery right now - my 2 year old truck somehow morphed into a brand new, bigger one when I took it in for a recall a month ago. The house batteries for the RV are AGM and just over 2 years old - I havenít managed to kill them yet, unlike the first house battery I had (and the reason I now have AGM batteries instead of lead-acid). If I replace my trailer Iíll probably go with lithium batteries - more power and less weight.

I do think that most batteries end up aging out, no matter what type of battery they are. I really need to go through my 6 generic batteries and see just how good they are. Also test them all in the problematic camera and see if the buttons quit working at any point.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:18 PM   #9

Default Posting Photo

Haven't been here in a long time-trying to post a photo-won't let me even tho I am logged in. Any changes that I should know about?
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
Haven't been here in a long time-trying to post a photo-won't let me even tho I am logged in. Any changes that I should know about?
I always link to a different photo hosting site. Iím in the process of changing from zenfolio to smug mug and they donít seem to be different. But I hadnít tried to upload directly here. I should try at some point, just to see.