Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   Resolution of K20 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/resolution-k20-139820/)

mtngal Apr 13, 2008 3:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I took a walk around the block, taking casual shots of my neighbor's flowers and trees. I'm still trying to decide if I want to continue shooting jpg (which I really like) or switch back to raw.

I spotted this tall tree and thought it looked beautiful with it's early blooms against the very deep blue sky. The picture doesn't quite work, the blooms sort-of blew out and lose any definition being so far away from me. I was going to delete it, but I happened to look at it full sized, to check the focus/motion blur (it's windy).

First, here's the full frame picture, taken with the K20 and the DA*50-135:

mtngal Apr 13, 2008 3:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now here's the same picture, with the part that I looked at full sized marked on it:

mtngal Apr 13, 2008 3:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's the 100% crop. Do you suppose that wildlife photographers would like this camera?

penolta Apr 13, 2008 4:21 PM

Gee, I don't know, Harriet. I couldn't bring up a clear image of the carpenter bee in the center of the cropped portion . . . . :roll:

snostorm Apr 13, 2008 5:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Harriet,

I'm still being amazed. . .

Yesterday, I went for a walk, carrying the K20 and 50-135. I saw a little blue bird fly down from a tree -- I think he just wanted to ask the robin that was standing there about the weather hereabouts.

I took a shot thinking I might at least get an ID if I magnified it enough so I couls see some color, and maybe some feather patterns. Here's the full frame. The little guy is dead center in the frame.

snostorm Apr 13, 2008 5:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a 5x7 crop @ 500 pixels on the long side. It's clearly identifiable as a Yellow-Breasted Warbler, and actually not a bad pic, considering. . . :-)

snostorm Apr 13, 2008 5:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's the Robin, telling the little warbler that there's an idiot over there taking a pic of them with a lens that's obviously too small for this sort of thing. . .
:-)

penolta Apr 13, 2008 5:19 PM

snostorm wrote:
Quote:

I took a shot thinking I might at least get an ID if I magnified it enough so I couls see some color, and maybe some feather patterns.
Quote:

It's clearly identifiable as a Yellow-Breasted Warbler
Actually, the picture is better than the ID! It's really a Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler. :P (That's what you get for showing off!) :G

mtngal Apr 13, 2008 5:25 PM

You know, I think with the right lens you probably COULD do that with this camera! I know I'm not much of a birder but I had no idea that there was anything flying around the tree, much less a hummer (think that's what it looks like).

Glad I'm not the only one who's constantly being amazed by this camera, Scott. When I first got the K10, I didn't think the image quality was all that much better than the K100. I liked it for all the controls and ability to influence the shot, but if all things were equal, the two cameras would present a very similar picture. If you resize the K20's picture down to the same size as the K10, there's a lot of similarity, too. However,the K20's sensorcaptures so much more detail, it's awesome! The difference is far greater than what I noticed between the K100 and the K10.

snostorm Apr 13, 2008 5:25 PM

penolta wrote:
Quote:

Actually, the picture is better than the ID! It's really a Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler. :P (That's what you get for showing off!) :G
Hi Penolta,

Too funny! I stand corrected!:? :-)

Scott