Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:00 PM   #11

Default Ist DS

Some of my best shots were with the Ist DS-I still think the CCD provides a much more realistic digital image. I own (2) and I bought my daughter another one on the "Bay" about 10 years ago-she never used it-kept it in a drawer-has less than 800 shots on it. Told her never to sell it.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
Some of my best shots were with the Ist DS-I still think the CCD provides a much more realistic digital image. I own (2) and I bought my daughter another one on the "Bay" about 10 years ago-she never used it-kept it in a drawer-has less than 800 shots on it. Told her never to sell it.
I got the Pentax ist DS after I had the Pentax K100d.

NOTE: I actually had 2 Pentax ist DS cameras. But I just recently gave one to the son of one of our friends. A new Pentaxian is born!

I got a few manual focus lenses from my dad and I wanted to try to use them more. I had read that the Pentax K100d had a pentamirror, and that the pentaprism was brighter and easier to focus manual focus lenses with. The newer bodies were out of my budget, but the Pentax ist DS had a pentaprism and I was able to find one within my budget. And I found the pentaprism did make focusing my manual focus lenses much easier.

If I put the cameras side-by-side, yes, I'd find it hard to tell which is which. But . . . when I go to focus a manual focus lens and take pictures, I have a much higher hit rate with the Pentax ist DS.

As for the old CCD sensor . . . I actually had a Nikon D70s, Pentax K100d and Canon 10D all at the same time.

The Nikon D70s and Pentax K100d were said to have similar (the same?) sensor from Sony.

I actually sat down and did side-by-side tests between the Nikon D70s, Pentax K100d and Canon 10D for portrait shots with off camera flash and I consistently got cleaner shots with my Pentax K100d.

Pentax definitely has some magic happening under the hood when it comes to getting the most out of a sensor!

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:21 PM   #13

Default They come and go

I have had a DL (my first DSLR), at least 4 different DS, (one was stolen from my son, two were given away and one more with less tha 6000 shots was just sold). Currently I have the K100D, I miss the better viewfinder of the DS but the sensor based cleaning, the vibration reduction (IBIS), and the compatability with later lenses with focus motors built in, more than makes up for it. The camera has about 14000 clicks and a slightly balky thumb dial but is other wise in good condition. This was one of the few cameras that I purchased new (for my wife) so it is definitely a keeper.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:01 PM   #14

You guys are making me want to get my K2000 10mp ccd camera out and shoot a few

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DA PLM 55-300, DA 18-135, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote