Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:55 PM   #1

I was reading on another forum that someone needed a new camera, so naturally I suggested the lovely new Pentax K100D and went into shpiel about all things great about -- making special note of its compatibilty with a profound amount ot lenses. Well, someone replied to my post saying, and I quote:

Quote:
Oh, and while you can use older lenses on digital bodies, I don't think they're supposed to be as good for digital because some of the light reflects off the sensor, then reflects off the inside face of the lens glass, and then back towards the sensor
How true is this? Does it pose any serious problem? Should I ignore this as nonsensical?

Thanks,
Sean
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:15 PM   #2

this can happen.. it's the reason for all the new, ''made for digital'' lenses. after 15,000 shot's i have yet to experience it.. i have 1 DA lens, the kit lens, and have had no problems with my older lenses.. a lot of the time you will get answers from people that are trying to rationalize their expenditures in high end equipment.. just sigh, and go on. trying to enlighten them is a waste of time..

roy
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:31 PM   #3

After 1,000's of shots I have not found that to be true either and I had two Sigma lenses, exactly the same, but one for digital and I could never see the advantage of the digital coating, which is all it is.

The reflection is possible, but not probable. I think it is just a scam to get more money out of people for new coated lenses.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:54 PM   #4

Hi balofagus,

Only three out of however many lenses tha I have acquired and used are "digitally optimized" and I've yet so see the dreaded "digital flare" in almost 26,000 exposures (most of them with the "other" lenses). I have seen the effect in pictures on other fora, and it's relatively minor and the occurances are very very few and far between (and not necessarily repeatable, so there's no clear set of conditions for its occurance).

If I went over all of the shots that I have saved, I might even find some in mine that I didn't notice before, but I feel if I didn't notice it before, I'm not gonna sweat it now.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:56 PM   #5

If you define 'as good' the same as 'as convenient ' or 'as ready for action' or ' without hardware adapter', it has some truth.
Older lens needs adapter and generally does not provide information to the camera as to its aperture and focal length. The auto function of most dslr will not work with older lens.

All these are not of any problem to most photogrpaher not too mention professional ones. In conclusion, you can ignore the statement.

Daniel

balofagus wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Oh, and while you can use older lenses on digital bodies, I don't think they're supposed to be as good for digital because some of the light reflects off the sensor, then reflects off the inside face of the lens glass, and then back towards the sensor
How true is this? Does it pose any serious problem? Should I ignore this as nonsensical?

Thanks,
Sean
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:53 PM   #6

i'll bet we have responses here from about 50,000 images. conclusion=no problem..

glad i'm not the lone ranger..

roy
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:07 AM   #7

Out of all my lenses only three are AF and are stamped DG, I dare anyone to tell the difference beween photos taken on one of my older lenses compared with a digital lens.

No...I Lie, Of course they are going to tell, two things, the exif info will not show a focal length and aperture data and secondly the image from the older lens will be SHARP as a TACK..:blah:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:51 PM   #8

I don't even have a flare problem with my 40 year old Super Takumar screw mount lenses on my D. And these aren't even SMC lenses.

I guess it's a solid marketing ploy and as valid as selling tires that are designed to be used with automatic transmission cars when the older cars all had manual transmissions.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:57 PM   #9

Are you serious about this tyres? never heard tis before.

the same goes with polarizers, linear works on all my lenses but ask in a shop and they'll tell you you need circular (which is twice the price of linear). some companies will try anything to squeeze us out of money.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:10 PM   #10

I have only one digital lens, the 18-55mm kit lens, all of my other lenses are Pre-digital, that includes my 24-135mm Sigma, two Pentax FA lenses, the 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 and the 100-300mm f4.7-5.8, one Pentax A lens the 70-210mm f4, one Pentax M lens the 50mm f1.7, two Rikenon XR (the good Ricohs) lenses, the 28mm f2.8 and 135mm f2.8, a Phoenix/Samyang 500mm f8 mirror lens and finally a 200mm f3.5 Chinon screw mount with adaptor. The only problems I have ever seen is that some of the older lenses show a little CA in extreme light, related to improvements in lens design, not coatings.

Most of the pictures I have posted here are from one of these non-digital lenses.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote