Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:00 PM   #1

Well, tough decision over the next couple of days.

I have done some maths and if I go ahead and buy my lens, that will be every last penny of my winnings spent. I will still have cleared one of my credit cards but was rather hoping to have a little bit left over.

However, I have had the expense of vet trips for the cat and had to get some meds for one of my bunnies today as well, plus I spent quite a bit on the cat in the pet shop to treat her (new bed, electric water fountain and some other bits) and once my credit card is paid off, that will leave me with £550 exactly. The lens is just under that.

There are still a couple of things I need to buy for myself which I won't be able to get if I spend that much on a lens, although they are things I've managed without for ages but would be nice to be able to get them if I can.

Anyway, I am instead considering getting a 2x teleconverter, there is one on ebay, a Kenko one which is under £100, the sigma one is nearer to £200 though probably better and if I were to go for the sigma, I would still have some money left over for other bits and pieces.

My other doubt about spending so much on a lens at this time is that it's coming up for winter and this place is pretty boring after autumn and last year, I didn't take the camera out once in the winter, tell a lie, I did a couple of times but didn't take a single photo cos there was nothing worth bothering with (in my opinion). Certainly nothing that would require that big a lens I don't think, cept for the small birds but if I remember rightly, last year, I could hear them but not see them apart from the occasional robin or two.

I'm trying to make this decision, I know the quality of a converter won't be as good and that I will lose 2 f stops plus the DOF will be reduced by half but it might keep me going through winter just enough for those times when I might wish I had got the lens, at least I would have the converter to kind of make up for it if you know what I mean.

Also, I am still waiting appeal results for some of my benefit money, it's still going to take some considerable time but if I win, I should get it backdated which would give me more than enough for the lens, plus I will still keep trying to win money throughout winter so you never know.

Sorry to have waffled on, I am just so undecided at the moment! lol! I'm terrible when it comes to making decisions so perhaps you guys can help me decide?

Alison

Almost forgot to mention, if I bought the lens, I would need a new case as well as mine is already too small for everything I have, I would also need a sturdier tripod, mine isn't quite sturdy enough I don't think to support that weight. If I get the lens, that's it, I can only have the lens, none of the other stuff.

alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:17 PM   #2

Sorry, Alison ...doesn't reality suck at times???Got to set your priorities though! SOunds like the animals needed attention. Hope all is getting better with them BTW, even after the sitting incident! I'm not laughing at you...more with you. I can't count the times that I either sat on or barely missed sitting on our cat! So how soon can you do the quiz show again???:G

Ron

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:19 PM   #3

the oops was edited by the monitors ... it was s%u*c#k
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:41 PM   #4

alison,
i can relate to how you feel. me? i have not used a 2x converter that pleased me. if you go with a 1.4x i think you would be more pleased with the outcome. with your 70-300 you would have a 420mm f8 which isn't bad if the birds are dead.hehe.
anyway, why not get nothing?? keep shooting the great photography that you've been posting and wait and see.. and stash the extra money away for the spring. i think you would probably be happier with a long prime in the 400mm range. with a 1.4x you would have a 560mm. hope i'm making sense.

roy
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:02 PM   #5

I have the Tamron 1.4 teleconverter (for autofocus) and I like it. I haven't tried any 2X converters, but I imagine you lose quite a bit more light than with a 1.4. I think B&H has them at a reasonable price...about $60.00 US as I remember.

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:32 PM   #6

Ya might want to consider a used lense. I understand about tight money. I hope things work out for you.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:55 PM   #7

alibunnylady,

my vote is to save the money. it seems like your financial situation is already very tight as it is. using that prize money on another lens would be quite a luxury item.
i honestly have been quite impressed with the quality of photographs that you produce with your 70-300. you are also right about upgrades. whenever you upgrade, it sets off the need to upgrade other items as well. hope this reply helps.

royce10
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:40 AM   #8

Hi Alison,

Unfortunate that your animals health problems have whittled your prize money down, but you had no other choice but to take care of them -- they're family, after all.

I think that Roy has given some solid advice. Either go with a Tamron/Kenko 1.4x or save the money, possibly adding to it slowly to get what you really want.

I've never been to the UK, but a lot of posters from there are always complaining about lighting conditions, and if that's true to any extent, I don't think that you'll want to ge stuck with losing 2 stops, or just going with the lens alone. The one stop extra of the 1.4x gives you more opportunity to use the extra reach.

If you save the money, or at least part of it (and add a bit at a time as circumstances allow), then you can wait for YOUR lens to show up in a deal over the winter. I got pretty good lens deals in the few months after Christmas.

I don't know if it was a matter of people cleaning out their lens drawers to pay for the holidays or what, but there seemed to be a lot of action around that time. Primarily wide shooters might also want to cull their long glass in favor of one of the new f2.8 zooms (especially if they are USM and expensive as predicted), a K10D or a LTD or two. Sigma could clear out the non DG zooms like they did with the 50-500 (i think that's what happened) through Cameta last winter.

Anyway, I think it makes some sense that people sell their stuff they're not using during the off-season, and because many users aren't really using their cameras that much, the buyers' market is a bit softer/less competitive.

Bottom line, if you wait for the better deal as opposed to wanting something before the quickly approaching end-of-season, you'll probably be in a better situation. . . .but I could be wrong. . .

Hope your animals and you are doing well whatever you decide to do. . .

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:07 AM   #9

wadue wrote:
Quote:
So how soon can you do the quiz show again???:G

Ron

I can do it every weeknight from 7.30pm to 1.30am from tonight, hehehe. I've won with them a few times now so fingers crossed there are a few more wins to come.

Alison
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:15 AM   #10

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a sigma 2x teleconverter. I used a 2x years ago with my old slr film camera, one that was made before any of the autofocus slrs were invented. The only thing I seem to remember any problems with were when I went out to the new forest and was in the woods, tried to shoot a deer but it was a bit dark and I couldn't tell if it was in focus or not. That shouldn't be a problem with digital so much cos I have the delete button and can shoot off as many as I like without worrying about the cost of film.

I did think of the 1.4 but me being me wanted the extra zoom! lol! Will see how I get on, I may like it, I may not and if I don't, well, it's not the end of the world and I am sure I will get at least some half decent pics along the way.

Yes, lighting over here in winter can be a real problem, alot of dull days but at the same time, we do get crisp cold sunny days so I just need to use my imagination a bit and experiment.

Even if I don't like it with the 70-300 lens, I can use it with the 55mm and double that to 110mm and that shouldn't lose too much light.

All I have to do now is wait for it to arrive.

Alison