Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:45 AM   #11

pat on back!!!!
i'd order that set as well if i didn't already have 2 ballheds and a pan/tilt.

how do you like the grip ballhead?? i've heard they look neat but are not that good in actual practise.

roy
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:15 AM   #12

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I use a Manfrotto model 484 that I got from B&H for under $100 a couple of years ago. It is solid, but not too heavy and comes with an over the shoulder carrying case. I was looking for a ball head which this has. It does not have a quick mount shoe which I do not care for. The link below takes you to B&H which has it now for $150. BTW, I think Manfrotto is made by Bogen. From personal experience I can tell you that it is one solid tripod and the ball head gives precise control. Jay

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:58 PM   #13

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
An equivalent Manfrotto would be better quality but would cost over twice as much.

What, more precisely, would be better on a Manfrotto? Sturdiness? Asking because I'm still looking for that sturdy-enough tripod for my 3 kg lens (can't buy right now anyway, must keep it a bit low for a while. Someone is about to understand what LBA and ABA really is about. Shhh...aranoid

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:30 PM   #14

one thing to look for is max hieght without the center columnextended. 60'' is about minimum IMHO. the 858 model is about 63'' which when used on the first leg position puts the viewfinder at eye level for me. using the column extended defeats the purpose of using 3 legs..
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:48 PM   #15

robar wrote:
Quote:
how do you like the grip ballhead?? i've heard they look neat but are not that good in actual practise.
The grip ballhead is OK, but... they tend to be a little stiff which makes precision an issue. The reason for the stiffness is probably that if they were a bit loose they would not hold position well when locked. I like it for following movement but not when I want precise adjustments (such as portrait work).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:05 PM   #16

thanks
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:56 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for their input. For the price I will try out the Dynatran, well, at least put it on my birthday list.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:24 PM   #18

I also have a Dynatran Tripod (model 828, I believe). For the money, I don't think you can find a better tripod. The pistol grip head, however, broke after about 9 months of use. I replaced it with a Bogen ball head, and I'm happy with the pair.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:44 PM   #19

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
I have a tripod from the seventies, made in Japan, weighs a ton and made from Aluminiun - to heavy to carry with me.

I have the exact same model! :-)
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:47 PM   #20

You guys make me jealous. I still use a Tiltall tripod that I bought in the late '60s for my Spotmatic. It's very sturdy and I know it can take at least three decades of use and still hold rock-steady.

Unfortunately for my back, it is unusual, in that over the years it seems to have gained weight.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote