Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:09 PM   #21

Way to go Larry - mine didn't use to weigh a ton either - its aluminium remember
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:14 PM   #22

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
You guys make me jealous. I still use a Tiltall tripod that I bought in the late '60s for my Spotmatic. It's very sturdy and I know it can take at least three decades of use and still hold rock-steady.

Unfortunately for my back, it is unusual, in that over the years it seems to have gained weight.

Larry in Dallas
larry, it's all that dust on it....

OT,, wasn't it nice to see it rain???? wonderful stuff, i'd forgotten.

roy
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:53 PM   #23

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
You guys make me jealous. I still use a Tiltall tripod that I bought in the late '60s for my Spotmatic. It's very sturdy and I know it can take at least three decades of use and still hold rock-steady.

Unfortunately for my back, it is unusual, in that over the years it seems to have gained weight.

Larry in Dallas
My old tripod got heavier in direct correlation with my own weight, mystery.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:40 PM   #24

yeah, i've been wondering ''why'' the floor gets further and further away every year???

tim, i think you have made a good decision.. the amvona/dynatron is a great tripod for the $$$.. i don't care what others say to justify their high $$$ equipment. baubles/name brandshave never impressed me. too bad i'm shooting a PENTAX...

roy
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:54 PM   #25

Has anyone had any experience with Dynatran's ball heads? I've been looking for one to put on a freebie Bogen monopod that a friend gave me (as well as a Clamperpod that I just ordered)... I was going to hold out for the H95 or H96 magnesium ones, but now I'm thinking that that's probably overkill for a DL and probably no more than a DA 50-200 lens, so I'm looking at the H91 or H92. They seem to sometimes go for as cheap as $15 shipped, which is hard to argue with, and they look a lot more substantial that something like the miniballhead that Clamperpod sells for $15.

One other note... their carbon-fiber monopods seem to often go for nearly the same shipped price as just the H95/H96 ball head, and come with a magnesium ball head of their own. I considered picking up that, figuring that the carbon-fiber monopod would probably be a good amount lighter than the Bogen, but I just keep hemming and hawing.

As for tripods, I use a Slik U5000, which can be had for fairly cheap and seems to be more or less OK, but I'm sure it's not nearly as sturdy as some others. (Also, the pan/tilt head is non-removable.) I also have considered picking up one of those Velbon Maxi 343Es that are supposed to be terrific travel-sized ones, but the included ballhead doesn't have quick-release. Although if I'm carrying multiple support systems with different QR systems (like the Slik plus something with a ball head), the QR is rather useless since it's just one more thing I'd have to take on and off the camera, and it seems that you really have to screw it in tight to stick it to the QR plate well.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:09 PM   #26

Roy, why would the ball head have a 1/4" Camera screw. Mounts to 3/8" tripod.

Aren't all screws on tripods NC 1/4"

Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:30 PM   #27

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Roy, why would the ball head have a 1/4" Camera screw. Mounts to 3/8" tripod.

Aren't all screws on tripods NC 1/4"

usually the head mounts to the tri/monopod via a 3/8'' and the cam mounts to the head via a 1/4'' or a QR plate. both of my monopods have a threaded 3/8 that can be taken off a 1/4 if you want to attach the cam directly to it.

ballheads??? this one comes in a small and large model. i have both. great on a monopod but i didn't like it on my tripod. this head is NOT what you want for a tripod because it only has 1 adj nut on it. this head will not lock the cam in place and allow you to pan at the same time. kind of tough shooting panos. if you get a ballhead make sure it will let you pan with the camera locked into position. i paid $13 and $21 for mine. i'd recommend them for a monopod.
BALLHEAD
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:58 AM   #28

Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:14 PM   #29

Well, I followed one of the links above and ran across an Ebay auction for a AT 150A Lightweight Tripod by DynaTran™ no bidders - bid 35 cents (it had a $14 shipping fee), fully expecting that I would be out bid, and I won.

So my first acquisition for $14.35 for a K100D - wanted something small and light - figured for the price, I could not go wrong.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:41 PM   #30

WooHoo, I love it when someone gets a eBay bargain. :-)
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote