Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:17 PM   #1

Does anyone have a suggestion for an affordable decent quality tripod? I am looking for something that balances weight and stability, I am not going mountain climbing with it but I might walk around a state park for an hour carrying it. I have discovered the tripod forum down at the bottom of the forum lists but I am also wondering if anyone here has a tripod they are happy with?

Thanks,
TIM
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:44 PM   #2

manana
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:14 PM   #3

I can Highly recommend the tripod I use. Its a Slik Pro 700. It Supports 15Lbs, has a max height of 74.5" and weighs about 6.5lbs. Its not Carbon Fiber, but it suits my purposes. Comes with a 3 way head. At the time it cost me $129
Before that i was using a cheap Camcorder tripod, that was EXTREMELY Unstable with the DS and Sigma 70-300. After one try with that tripod , I did some research and went To a Local camera store that stock's the Slik line and the rest is history.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:12 AM   #4

I am using a cheap tripod ($40) and am somewhat happy with it. Similar to this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sunpa...oductDetail.do

Next when funds are better, probably this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Manfrotto-714B-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Very lightweight, compact and extremely flexible.

Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:03 AM   #5

I like Slik tripods. They use so called AMT alloy (Aluminium-Magnesium-Titanium) which enables to make their tripod legs lighter than competition legs with the same sturdiness (I do not talk about expensive carbon tripod legs here). Their tripods are also reasonably priced.

I had Slik 500DX tripod. It weighted 2,45kg, was extending to 1,60m and max. load was 5kg. I paid for it €115. It was superb quality and very sturdy. I really liked it.

Week ago it was stolen, I am looking for Slik tripod again. I felt that 500DX a little bit overkill for my equipment (it did not exceed 1,5kg in total) so I think about 330DX or 340DX. They weight only 1,6kg and supposed to hold up to 4kg of load on them.
http://www.thkphoto.com/products/sli...-pro-02-2.html
http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-pro-03.html

Anyway, look for tripod with quick release leg locks and rubberized legs -- they will not freeze your hands in cold weather.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:22 AM   #6

If you're going out there in cold weather you're gonna be wearing gloves anyway - or you should.

I have a tripod from the seventies, made in Japan, weighs a ton and made from Aluminiun - to heavy to carry with me.

For carrying with me, I have a cheapo that you see on "Special" at camera stores all the time. What a lot of people forget is that the equipment bag they're carrying, makes the greatest weight for sturdyness.

So, moral of the story, for me, cheap tripod and equip bag for strength.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:26 AM   #7

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
If you're going out there in cold weather you're gonna be wearing gloves anyway - or you should.
Well, I don't wear gloves when it is +10 Centigrade outside (probably noone wears) but those +10 are enough to make metal tripod leg very cold to touch.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:07 AM   #8

i have this set of legs. think i turned ira on to them also.
HERE
they are an excellent set of legs. i think i paid about $33usd for them delivered. they are a manfrotto knock off. delivery takes some time but the wait is well worth it..
i've got 2 of these ball heads and maybe the pan/tilt head but the price is right
HERE
in the ''tripod'' forum i see that quite a few use these and there are a few that put them down. that's probably because they have to rationalize their expenditures of 3-4 times the cost of their equipment..

roy
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:16 AM   #9

forgot to say.
the ball head is so-so. i really did not like it on my tripod but it's GREAT on my monopod..
ck
HERE
and i've bought several items from this vendor
HERE

just look around.

roy
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:20 AM   #10

Roy is right about the Dynatran tripod, very nice if somewhat heavy. Mine came, brand new, with the tripod, a quick release pistol-grip style ball head, and a huge backpack (that I use as a storage unit for my extra lenses and flash gear) all for about $80. An equivalent Manfrotto would be better quality but would cost over twice as much.

My Dynatran can be seen at the left in this picture:

BTW Roy, you did it again. I just ordered the tripod heads in the auction you linked. The pistol grip is excellent for in the field but in a studio I like the greater precision of the tilt pan head.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote