Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:35 AM   #1

I know there are a few other people posting here who are as new to photography as I am. I picked up several books on the subject and I thought I would recommend the one I have found most useful thus far. Photography: A Practical Guide by Ailsa McWhinnie and Phillip Andrews has been the perfect book for me because the authors start with an assumption of zero knowledge on the part of the reader and cover a wide range of topics in a surprising amount of depth for an introductory book. I doubt it would be of much value to an experienced photographer but it was just what the doctor ordered for me. Anyhow, it is a large hardbound book on remainder at Edward R Hamilton for $4. Just passing this along in case it can help someone else.

http://tinyurl.com/hqykr

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:08 PM   #2

some more suggestion in different part of the forum

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=85
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:38 PM   #3

Thanks! I just ordered The Art of Seeing and Designing a Photograph. I was looking for recommendations for good books on composition.

Thanks again,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:38 PM   #4

I just want to recommend this book. I have had the hardback for a couple of months now & not being much of a reader, I am only about half way through it. That's just me though, I have been trying to use it as a textbook ... taking notes & such. It is wonderful for the beginner, explaining aperature, modes, DOF, composition, etc. Upon doing this search on amazon, I noticed that a paperback edition is now available so it may be cheaper but I don't think the pictures will as crisp & detailed. Normally, I go as inexpensive as possible but on this rare occasion, I would definitely suggest getting the hardback if you're serious about a good tutorial! Oh yeah, I think I saw this as a recommended book in either popular photography or another magazine after I bought it. OK, I'll shut up now so you can check it out:G

Hope it helps!

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photog...F8&s=books

I guess I better spend less time on this forum & more time reading that book ...maybe I would be done with it by now!:GOn the other hand, I have learned a lot more from this place than from most books!
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote