Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:16 PM   #11

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Foxbat121 wrote:
Quote:
nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
OT maybe. How does one test the speed of the card?
Try copy large files to and from the SD card when you mounted on PC. Not all the card readers are made equal. Some have very slow read/write speed even mounted on USB 2.0. So make sure you're not limited by the reader itself.
The USBCard Reader has to be USB2 compliant - I should have mentioned that in my earlier reply (but I thought it was a tad obvious).
USB 2.0 compliant isn't good enough. I have this built-in card reader on my HP desktop. The reader also have a spare USB 2.0 port on its side clearly marked USB 2.0. But the actual reader can only read my SD cards at a lowly 1 MB/sec. There are many different card reader chipset out there, only a few can take full advantage of USB 2.0 speed.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:51 PM   #12

sounds like you have a USB1 reader. just because it's plugged into a USB2 slot does not mean it'll read at USB2 speeds. you have to have a USB2 reader to get the high speed. if the reader doesn't say on it somewhere that it's a USB2 device then it's USB1.

roy
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:20 PM   #13

Like I said, it says USB 2.0 on the spare port of the face plate of the reader box. I have checked a few other so called USB 2.0 reader, most them performed belowe exceptation. True high speed USB 2.0 readers that can exceed 10MB/sec is rare from my limited experience.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:25 PM   #14

Wow, thanks for the responses (& warm welcome from Black Knight)!

So I guess we can say the Pentax *ist (DL) can use up to 4GB SD card as long as it is formatted by some means, and the camera can format up to 2GB. The speed, so far, should be at least 80x to meet the write speed of the camera.

Can anyone say that a faster card than 80x performs better on the DL, like 150x?

Although interesting, I am not so concerned about the speed of the card for downloading to a PC, but am more interested in it's usefulness in the camera itself, like the burst speed as mentioned by robar. (Basically I feel the camera shouldn't have to underperform just because of a slow SD card.)

ksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:42 PM   #15

You have to carefully read the specifications for a USB 2.0 device; it must state that it is a high speed USB 2.0 device, not full speed.

I may have to look into a 4GB SDHC card. I didn't realize that they could be used as long as they are formatted in a different device. The SanDisk includes the reader: http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1982)-SDSDBR-4096-SanDisk_Standard_SDHC_Card_4GB.aspx .
Yog-Sothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:48 PM   #16

i think i maybe misled people with my previous post. altho i did notice some write speed improvement from a standard to an 80x it was not much. maybe 5 seconds faster writing 5 raw images. the problem is i was shooting continuous 5 shot raw bursts and that's when i saw the minor difference.

roy
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:25 PM   #17

Officially supported maximum capacity is 2GB. However I know that people are using higher capacity SD cards also. I wouldn't go ober 2GD though.

According to Raland Mabo (he usually knows what he is talking about), DL won't take any advantage of SD card faster than 66x, so, there's no point to buy faster card for DL.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:18 AM   #18

There is a firmware upgrade that allows the use ofSDHC cards (A high capacity SD card.)

There must be more inthe upgrade(It goes from 1.00 to 1.02) but they don't tell us...

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote